Im not new to assembly but Im fairly new to win32 assembler and havent even coded in assembler for a long time. I have a couple of questions. #1. Is there some way of using regular expressions in assembly? Through a dll or something. #2. I would like to learn about networking below the winsock level. That is accessing and sending data through a nic directly. Where would be a good place to start? T.I.A
Posted on 2001-02-23 17:37:00 by boolean_logic
What do you mean by "regular expressions"? The Svin.
Posted on 2001-02-23 17:53:00 by The Svin
Bool, UNIX style regular expressions are a much higher level construction than assembler normally handles. I have seen them built into high level languages but I have not seen any code that makes it available at all. Like most things, it can be done but it involves a lot of complex coding that may not be that profitable in assembler. If you have access to a language that can handle both regular expressions and the zero terminated strings that assembler commonly uses, you could make either a DLL or a library module that does this type of work. You will find that Iczelion has done some work in the "winsock" area and the examples should be available on his site. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-02-23 18:12:00 by hutch--
regular expressions are a form of text pattern matching that is native to perl. They are very useful when I write network applications when Im trying to decode or split responses. Amongst other things. Its possible to use them in vb rather easily with microsofts scripting dll. However its rather bloated and I imagine would be kinda hard to use in assembler. I was wondering if anyone here has used them before in assembler and how they did it.
Posted on 2001-02-23 18:17:00 by boolean_logic
Hutch im not going to beable to write my own regular expression ( compiler? ) for assembler. That would be way to much effort for me. Im barely starting out by the time Im finished doing it Ill be an old man. :). Maybe I could make a reference to the bloated microsoft scripting dll. I only have to search small strings so it wouldnt be that bad. I heard it could be done in C so it could probobly be done in assembler just the same. API is API I guess.
Posted on 2001-02-23 18:21:00 by boolean_logic
Ernie has a nice tut on using VBS from ASM. You might be able to get the mix you need :) bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-02-23 20:05:00 by bitRAKE