Now i know i need some of my own made GUID's for identifying my App (game) on the net (for DirectPlay) just cant find any free "guidgen.exe" like stuff for now i use a GUID from the SDK....but latter i will net a "real" one .... any help/ideeas? Thx.
Posted on 2001-03-05 22:22:00 by BogdanOntanu
Yes there is. Xtreme has coded a very nice GUID gen addon for Quick Editor. Pastes a brand-new GUID in asm format. It will be in the next SP of the COM libs. Meantime, I'll mail one direct.
Posted on 2001-03-05 23:44:00 by Ernie
Why do we need different GUID? What happened if two app had same GUID...can u explain in simple words?
Posted on 2001-03-11 09:53:00 by Geecko
Gimmy a G Gimmy a U Gimmy a I Gimmy a G Whats that spell? GUID! Whats that spell? GUID! Global Unique IDentifer How Global? Completely non-repeated across all space and time for the next 20,000 years. How Unique? Like fingerprints and snowflakes, no two match. Why are they all different? Well, why does every person get a different social security number? So there is a 1 to 1 relation between number and person. The GUID *IS* the name of the interface, or class, or library, or whatever is being defined by the number. IUnknown is a name. You can call ANY item in your code IUnknown and nothing bad happens. But define an interface by the number {000000000H, 00000H, 00000H, 0C00000000000046H} and all hell breaks loose. For interfaces, a list of all interfaces is kept in the registry. The list is keyed and sorted by, you guessed it, GUIDs. Save your interface under that number and every COM and ActiveX app stops working. Every last one. Why? You broke the rules. The rule says every interface gets it's own GUID. And every GUID is UNIQUE.
Posted on 2001-03-11 10:13:00 by Ernie
LOL, i must admit this is a great explanation:) I thought COM wasnt OS specific, i mean linux doesnt have registry...i really must get some book(talking this half year now...)
Posted on 2001-03-11 10:24:00 by Geecko
Hi Thx Ernie... :( but as we reinstalled our systems (again and again and again :) ) i might of loosed that message somewhere....can you please resend it ... 10X
Posted on 2001-03-11 19:08:00 by BogdanOntanu