Lets say you have a hard working thread, and also lets say that a user has changed his mind and wants to quit this job early. But there's one problem. This thread is such a good worker that it ignores all message's untill it has done the job. well I would like to beable to stop this thread, tell it to go on vacation. I just can't close it off couse this thread needs to clean stuff up, like delete temp files it was using, close off any memory it Allocated, ect. Any suggestions on how to send this thread on vacation?
Posted on 2001-03-06 20:58:00 by Zcoder
Insert a GetMessage() call somewhere in your threads main loop. Put it somewhere so that you are sure it will be called atleast once every second. Then send a message from your main thread to your child thread using PostThreadMessage(). You have to sacrifice some of your good-working threads speed im afraid.
Posted on 2001-03-06 21:52:00 by Zynaps
I tried the GetMessage() and it seems to make my thread do nothing. eather I am using it wrong or it dosent return untill there is a message. So I still need some way to check for messages in my thread...
Posted on 2001-03-08 14:26:00 by Zcoder
At Last I have found that if you' stop thinking so hard, the answer will come to you. This is such a simple answer that I am afraid that it will tarnish my Name. To Send a message to my thread I can use a DWORD varible and just poke messages into it. mov eax,TM_STOPZIPPING mov ,eax And in the thread I can have spots where my thread looks at these messages and will know when to take action and what kind. So you see, it is not that hard. too simple that I overlooked it. I guess if you create a thread that is not inside the app itself then you would have to use GetMessage() ect. So I am happy to say that this is now put to rest. and thank you for all that tried to help me with this problem.
Posted on 2001-03-08 18:44:00 by Zcoder
Hey there, GetMessage *waits* until it recieves it's next message, so it will go through your loop once and wait for a message before it continues.... Check out PeekMessage, this API can be used to look to see if their is a message if not you can still continue, otherwise you process the message. Hope this works out for you! See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-03-08 21:20:00 by cyberben