I need to determine what software is installed on a pc. I need the name, author(developer), etc.... This is for license compliance. What I have been thinking is to search the hard drive for all the exe, dll, ocx, etc files and pull this info from them. Then compile it into a readable report. I don't know where to start or if this is even the best way to get that info. One other way would be to search the registry but I don't think that will give me everything. Any Ideas.... Thanks :D
Posted on 2001-03-08 11:55:00 by Raeldin
Hi Raeldin, I once used a freeware ocx called Filfacts.ocx, which should give you some of the info you're seeking. I had used it for a similar project with VB5 (can I use that word in here?), but if you were able to implement it with MASM, and I'm not sure this is possible, it could save some work. There's actually several controls available including: Miko Utilities is a set of several ActiveX controls designed to assist a developer with various tasks as well as provide information regarding the userís computer system. FilFacts- Provides file information DrvFacts- Provides disk drive information SysFacts- Provides information regarding the computer system MsgTrap - Intercepts messages being sent to forms, controls, windows, etc. The FilFacts control provides detailed information regarding a file. This includes size, date, time, version, company name and more. All properties except FileName are read-only. Some properties may not be available depending upon whether or not the creator has supplied them. Might be worth a look anyway, you can find it at: http://members.nbci.com/xorcoders/W32/Lang/Vbasic/files/miko.zip Cheers, Kayaker
Posted on 2001-03-08 14:35:00 by Kayaker
Thanks I will look into it. If I have to I can write it in C++. Don't really want to tho. Raeldin:cool:
Posted on 2001-03-08 15:37:00 by Raeldin
Raeldin, Look here for API info: Version Information Functions Xtreme
Posted on 2001-03-09 10:34:00 by xtreme
Thanks.....This might be just what I need.
Posted on 2001-03-09 12:27:00 by Raeldin