Hello All, I'm trying to resolve a long, long standing problem with a news reader I wrote for Windows. The problem is that sometimes it doesn't detect the NNTP end-of-response chars (\r\n.\r\n) and hangs in a recv call. I believe that its because the "\r\n.\r\n" gets divided between two recv calls (two incoming data chucks). I'm using a synchronous socket in a second thread.

LOCAL bArticleBuffer[500]:BYTE
szText szEnd,13,10,".",13,10,0

.WHILE TRUE

invoke RtlZeroMemory, addr bArticleBuffer, 500
    invoke recv, dwSocket, ADDR bArticleBuffer, 496, 0

.if eax == SOCKET_ERROR

jmp @@ErrorExit

.else

mov dwBufferLen, eax
        invoke WriteFile, hFile, addr bArticleBuffer, dwBufferLen, ADDR dwBytesWritten, NULL

; xStrStr is my name for InString
        invoke xStrStr, ADDR bArticleBuffer, ADDR szEnd

; if eax isn't -1 the we found the "\r\n.\r\n"
        .BREAK .IF (eax != -1)

.endif    

.ENDW
Can someone please help me?? Thank You! Xtreme This message was edited by xtreme, on 3/9/2001 5:20:58 AM
Posted on 2001-03-09 05:17:00 by xtreme
xtreme, An easy solution is to prepend the last 5 chars of the previous message to the new message received, then even if it is spilt you will still find it. when you are doing your normal processing you know not to use the first 5 chars. Umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-09 10:45:00 by umbongo
I added a 5 sec timeout to the loop. It seems to work...

; RECIEVE THE SERVER'S RESPONSE
            .WHILE TRUE

invoke RtlZeroMemory, addr bArticleBuffer, 512
                    invoke recv, dwSocket, ADDR bArticleBuffer, 512, 0

.if eax == SOCKET_ERROR

jmp @@ErrorExit

.else

mov dwBufferLen, eax
                                invoke WriteFile, hFile, addr bArticleBuffer, dwBufferLen, ADDR dwBytesWritten, NULL

; JUMP OUT IF \r\n.\r\n IS FOUND
                                    invoke xStrStr, addr bArticleBuffer, addr szEnd
                                    .break .if eax != -1

; FAILSAFE
                                    m2m readfds.fd_count, 1
					      m2m readfds.fd_array[0], dwSocket
                                    invoke select, 0, addr readfds, 0, 0, addr tv
					      .break .if eax == 0
                                    .if eax == SOCKET_ERROR
                                        return 0
                                    .endif

.endif

.ENDW
Xtreme
Posted on 2001-03-10 07:41:00 by xtreme
In addition to my last reply, I started looking at Icz's HTTP Downloader 1.5. It seems that I've been holding my self back by not looking to see how much data is available on a socket before I do a read. This can be done by using the ioctlsocket function. Instead I was using a non-resizable local byte array of about 500 bytes. This is a big no-no. I was looping way too much! You see, when downloading a file if the download window says you're getting, say, 5.1 kb/sec, thats about how much you can recv from Winsock in a single recv. To go beyond (or at least try) this method of looking at the sockets properties before doing a recv, I now call getsockopt after making a socket and ask it how big the recv buffer is and make my buffer the same size with GlobalAlloc. That way, I just use my buffer and I'm guarenteed to have enough room to hold to largest message I'll get from the server....And its much easier to detect the "\r\n.\r\n". Xtreme This message was edited by xtreme, on 3/11/2001 6:23:53 PM
Posted on 2001-03-11 17:17:00 by xtreme