Hi everyone, I was trying to use SetWindowLong (or subclassing) to change the GWL_EXSTYLE od a BUTTON, from NULL to WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE when the mouse cursor is over the button. I am checking the WM_MOUSEMOVE message and checking the coord's of the cursor against the coord's of the button. When this is done, how do I display the change on the screen. By the way, I tried sending a WM_PAINT by invalidating the rectangle (tried both the button rect and the window rect), processing BeginPaint/EndPaint, but I'm not sure the latter is required. Do I need a separate procedure for the subclassed window? In fact, can someone please give a rundown on how/when in general the window is displayed on the screen. How is Windows doing this? I was browsing through the API reference help file, but I'm still struggling to get a firm grasp on the fundamentals. p.s. I know it's supposed to be easy, but it's a bit frustrating at the moment. Thanx a lot.
Posted on 2001-03-14 02:24:00 by matz
i know what ya mean. Just a point to make, if you are sucessfuly changing the style of the button, it should automacticly updte itself, if not an UpdateWindow API call should do the trick. For the way windows does the inbehinds. First of all when you call SetWindowLong, it does two things, sends a pair of messages to the window, WM_STYLECHANGED & WM_STYLECHANGING and changing the value changed internaly. Most window controls seems to process this message, thus they then repaint themselves.
Posted on 2001-03-14 02:51:00 by George
My suggestion is subclassing, the trick i keeping your origional proc' for the window (in this case the button child windows) stored. In you main window add:

.data?
      OldButtonProc dd ?
.code 
     .IF uMsg == WM_CREATE
      invoke GetDlgItem, hWnd, TheButtonIDtoSubclass
      invoke SetWindowLong, eax, GWL_WNDPROC, ADDR NewButtonProc
      mov OldButtonProc,eax
Now you have your Button Subclassed, all windows messages the button's proc would have recieved will now go to you NewButtonProc instead. The New Button proc should follow (but doenst have to) a format simular to DlgProc's..: NewButtonProc:

NewButtonProc PROC  hWnd:DWORD,uMsg:DWORD,wParam:DWORD,lParam:DWORD

; NOTE: hWnd is the BUTTON child window, not the main window
    .IF uMsg== WM_MOUSEMOVE
    .ELSEIF uMsg == WM_PAINT
    .ELSE
         invoke CallWindowProc, OldButtonProc, hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam
         ret
    .endif

xor eax, eax
   ret
NewButtonProc endp
Here if you dont want to handle a Window Message in your sub class it passes it on by calling the OldButtonProc you saved in the create cycle. This should get you going with your modifications... NaN This message was edited by NaN, on 3/14/2001 9:48:04 AM
Posted on 2001-03-14 08:40:00 by NaN
One big GOTCHA you're up against in SetWindows long really should have highlights all around it in whatever help file you use: "Certain window data is cached, so changes you make using SetWindowLong will not take effect until you call the SetWindowPos function." Setting the window position with SWP_NOMOVE, SWP_NOSIZE and SWP_NOZORDER set (ie, so you don't have to calculate a position or find the parent it's over) has worked for me in the past.

invoke SetWindowLong, hWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, NewValue
invoke SetWindowPos, hWnd, NULL, 0,0,0,0,SWP_NOMOVE or SWP_NOSIZE or SWP_NOZORDER 
This message was edited by Ernie, on 3/14/2001 1:05:12 PM
Posted on 2001-03-14 12:03:00 by Ernie