Is masm the best assembler for windows&dos programming? I liked tasm for dos but i can't get a copy of it right now. What are all their strengths and weaknesses? Matt
Posted on 2001-03-15 22:38:00 by matt
Well, that is a good question..... I have not stop to learn about the other compilers, I have used A86 for DOS and that one is my favorite one for DOS, and as for TASM I don't really know the syntex, but I have recoded over 100 TASM example codes, and all of them seem to use push's before they make an API call this make it hard to read, and you have to push everything backwards from the way you just use an invoke in MASM, MASM calles into API's is somewhat like a C call into an API and it is easy to read ect. But you might like the TASM way, I guess it is all up to each person what they like or don't like. and as far as NASM goes, I don't see, or find much code out there for it, and that tells me that there is not much users for it so it might be a dieing compiler. Not sure about that really. I would just pick one that has alot of users, that will share examples and you will soon be so use to that compiler. But in my openion, MASM is the best, and has many people sharing code written by it. Hope that helps to make your mind up of what compiler you would like to start coding in. Good luck.... and welcome to the MASM32 Forum... This message was edited by Zcoder, on 3/16/2001 1:52:21 AM
Posted on 2001-03-16 00:47:00 by Zcoder
matt, If you wish to code in LINUX, NASM is a good choice and it is popular in that area. It really depends what you want to do, TASM was a good DOS assembler but it ran out of puff in the win32 area some years ago. In the win32 area, MASM is far more powerful. It will handle far bigger include files, it has a lot of good support around for it and it produces smaller EXE files so there is little reason to stick to TASM unless you have a lot of prebuilt code thats already up and going. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-16 01:30:00 by hutch--
i am still blind about nasm never used that tools i am interested that we can use nasm in linux is the function i mean function in windows API is the same in linux platform or different ? where is the good site to learn nasm ?
Posted on 2001-03-16 03:01:00 by newbies
Masm32 looks good.. what would a console program written in it look like though?
Posted on 2001-03-16 13:46:00 by matt
Hi No NOT AGAIN! :) Again i have to point it out that TASM is only a little behind MASM at some stuff (latest includes...maybe...but mainly its not active supported by Borland...but hey is selled :) ) but has a lot of advantages also: 1.First Big advantage: INCREDIBLE SPEED...it can compile HUGE projects (like my game :( ) in about 100x faster then MASM... 2. Handles HUGE includefiles FAST and OK...i have tried a includ of 2.8Megabytee size and it went SMOOOTH :) 3.Has some predefined OOP syntax snd stuff (handy for OOP freaks) 4.All presumed bugs are somehow lack of knowledge about the switches :) (like the HASH table size one) 5. Can use CALL instead of INVOKE in just the same way :) (a little confusing IMHO...but eh...) Disatvantages: ================= 1.Its NOT FREE....you have to pay (for the speed :D ) 2.a little bit old (i wonder how the hell is so fast after that time....makes me wonder...is MASM written in C++ ? ) 3.Hard to buy I actually am trying to BUY TASM because of the SPEED...i need so bad...with a 150.000+ lines of code in my game.... Dont get me wrong here: MASM is GOOD ALSO ... but TASM is not that bad (the old guy still rocks... :) )
Posted on 2001-03-16 17:52:00 by BogdanOntanu
I think all told, the best thing to use is MASM32 for now. I say this because of one thing. Support. You've found us here, I assume most of us are using MASM32, and there are plenty of people to help when there is a problem. If you get a copy of a hard to find/not well documented assembler, we can't help as much as we can with MASM. umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-16 18:19:00 by umbongo
matt, writing console apps in masm is no big deal, its just different link options and MASM32 has some console mode support built into it for doing text input and output. There are some examples that show you how to write console apps in the example code. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-16 18:42:00 by hutch--
BogdanOntanu, Do you know of any online references for native OOP in TASM? All I've ever found online was Chapter 14: Programming with Objects, I'm not sure what version it was written for. But it seemed like toy-OOP, no real guts to it. I'm just curious if they improved their model.
Posted on 2001-03-16 19:35:00 by Ernie