or eax, -1
    and MyDWORD, 0
    or MyDWORD, -1

push MyDWORD2
    pop MyDWORD
    mov MyDWORD, eax
    mov eax, MyDWORD
    mov eax, ebx
I like to use all the windows constants, but we shouldn't have to sacrafice having compact or slower code :) I'd sure like suggestion on improvements or other similar cool MACROS :) Take care, bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-16 02:37:00 by bitRAKE
"The punishment for the wise man who refuses to get involved in politics, is to be ruled by lesser men." - Plato can anybody translate this spell into german language? It goes a little bit beyond my english translation capabilities ... :rolleyes: beaster.
Posted on 2001-03-16 05:55:00 by beaster
"The punishment for the wise man who refuses to get involved in politics, is to be ruled by lesser men." - Plato Well, "frei Řbersetzt": "Die Schlauen, die sich nicht in der Politik engagieren wollen, werden dadurch bestraft, da▀ sie von Dummen regiert werden." - Plato
Posted on 2001-03-16 07:05:00 by stem
I don't like mem to mem realization - push pop mem slow and NP!! Compile and run it several times and look for youself: .586 .model flat,stdcall option casemap:none include C:\masm32\include\windows.inc include C:\masm32\include\kernel32.inc include C:\masm32\include\user32.inc includelib kernel32.lib includelib user32.lib TimeTest_ON macro db 0fh,31h push edx push eax endm TimeTest_OFF macro db 0fh,31h pop ebx pop ecx sub eax,ebx sbb edx,ecx endm .data tmpl db 'Using m1push, m2pop took %i clocks',13,10 db 'Using rpush, m1>r, r>m2,rpop %i clocks',0 .data? buffer db 64 dup (?) firstres dd ? secondres dd ? dummy dd ? .code start: TimeTest_ON mov ecx,100h test1: push ecx ;Caanu oanoe­oaiue eia push firstres pop dummy pop ecx dec ecx jne test1 TimeTest_OFF shr eax,8 mov firstres,eax TimeTest_ON mov ecx,100h test2: push ecx ;Aoi­ie oanoe­oaiue eia push eax mov eax,firstres mov dummy,eax pop eax pop ecx dec ecx jne test2 TimeTest_OFF shr eax,8 mov secondres,eax invoke wsprintf,addr buffer,addr tmpl,firstres,secondres invoke MessageBox,0,addr buffer,0,0 call ExitProcess end start
Posted on 2001-03-16 09:01:00 by The Svin
The Svin, Can you provide a better solution? I don't like mem->mem moves either - that is why I wrote the macro :) Maybe it should be: mmmov MACRO M1, M2, M3, M4 push M2 push M4 pop M3 pop M1 ENM ...is that faster? Please, advise Svin. I'd really like to have the easy way as I'm a lazy asm programmer :P bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-16 10:23:00 by bitRAKE
I was hoping that some people would test out the macro and give me some pointers :) Just do a search and replace changing all 'mov' to 'mmov'. Did I mess anything up, or does this macro work as a direct replacement for 'mov'? Thanks, bitRAKE beaster, The quote means many things. I like it because I hate politics. But with wisdom one learns that they must communicate their ideas, and this requires getting involved in politics. Take care, bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-16 10:32:00 by bitRAKE
Well I don't know if it's any faster than push and pop, but try this for registers:-

MACRO swap m1,m2
    xor m1,m2
    xor m2,m1
    xor m1,m2
ENDM

Umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-16 10:44:00 by umbongo
In mem to mem case there might be two versions: if you care of previous value of eax before the macro runs: 1. push eax mov eax,MEM1 mov MEM2,eax pop eax if you don't care of eax mov eax,MEM1 mov MEM2,eax in test example I used the first version it's better. Though we've got here 4 instractions instead of 2 push mem1 pop mem2 this 4 instructions runs ~3clocks faster and we preserve and restore value of eax so it as safe as push mem pop mem version. For the rest I like your macro ans think that may be it worth to put it for common use after some further analiz. Good luck. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-03-16 10:56:00 by The Svin
Thanks Svin that was the clue I needed :) How about a third parameter for mem->mem moves that lets you say what register to use, or it will push/pop eax if third parameter not defined? bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-16 12:42:00 by bitRAKE
Svin, I dont know if it just my AMD 800, but I copied your bench code and ran it and found the first way slower (push and pop memory). I liked your code so i tried it on some of my stuff, and in every case i found about the same time for the first trial, and the second was always faster. So i modified your code to this:

start:
     push esi
     mov esi, 0
   .while esi < 10

TimeTest_ON
     mov ecx,100h
test2:
     push ecx

push eax
     mov eax, dummy1
     mov dummy2, eax
     pop eax

pop ecx
     dec ecx
     jne test2
     TimeTest_OFF

shr eax,8
     DPrintValD eax, "AVERAGE CLOCKS"

inc esi
   .endw
     pop esi
     call ExitProcess
end start
Which Tested and gave an output array:

AVERAGE CLOCKS:  75
AVERAGE CLOCKS:  7
AVERAGE CLOCKS:  6
This on my cpu shows the first test cycle can't be trusted, as it shows up for anything i tested. (Perhaps a windows setup thread is still grunting away or something, i dunno ). But as you have your previous code above, BitRAKE's version (push M1, pop M2) will always yeild false answers. When tested separatly with BitRAKE's code i got:

AVERAGE CLOCKS:  98
AVERAGE CLOCKS:  5
Which shows, (at least on my machine), that BitRAKE's origional code is faster... Hate to rock to boat, but the numbers seem :rolleyes: NaN
Posted on 2001-03-19 23:44:00 by NaN
I've added an optional third parameter which allows you to do mem-mem moves by trashing a register. The default mem-mem moves without a third value can be push-pop, or Svin's methode above. bitRAKE

mv MACRO M1:REQ, M2:REQ, M3
  IF (OPATTR (M2)) AND 00010000y
    ;; Source is a register
    IFDIFI M1,M2
      ;; source and destination are different
      mov M1,M2
    ENDIF
  ELSEIF (OPATTR (M2)) AND 00000100y
    ;; Source is constant
    IF M2 EQ 0
      IF (OPATTR (M1)) AND 00010000y
        ;; Destination is register
        xor M1,M1
      ELSE
        and M1,0
      ENDIF
    ELSEIF M2 EQ -1
      or M1,-1
    ELSE
      mov M1,M2
    ENDIF
  ELSE
    ;; Source is memory
    IF (OPATTR (M1)) AND 00010000y
      ;; Destination is a register
      mov M1,M2
    ELSE
      IFDIF M1,M2
        ;; source and destination are different
        IFNB M3
          IF (OPATTR (M3)) AND 00010000y
            mov M3,M2
            mov M1,M3
          ELSE
            ;; Try to make an object file anyway
            ECHO MACRO Warning:mv:M3 should be a register
;push eax    ;If this is faster on your machine use it :)
;mov eax,M2
;mov M1,eax
;pop eax
            push M2
            pop M1
          ENDIF
        ELSE
;push eax    ;If this is faster on your machine use it :)
;mov eax,M2
;mov M1,eax
;pop eax
          push M2
          pop M1
        ENDIF
      ENDIF
    ENDIF
  ENDIF
ENDM
NAN - I think it's just the AMD chips, but I'll test it out. Need to work on adding better chip support to my macro :P *joking* Close is close enough for general use. This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 3/20/2001 2:58:56 AM
Posted on 2001-03-20 01:31:00 by bitRAKE
Guys, there will always be a problem benchmarking code of this type because the context that it occurs in effects the total speed of the algorithm.

push mem
    pop mem
is handy because it does not use a register, generally using a register is faster if you have a spare but the overriding consideration is the leading and trailing instructions which effect the choice of instructions for doing the memory move. Things like this matter in a loop that is speed critical and the actual loop design will effect which works better in the particular context. You need to take into consideration a number of things when you make the choice, if you are short on registers in the algo, push/pop is a lot faster than preserving the register then doing the copy through a register. Best method is to code up the algo if it is speed critical and then benchmark it while making changes to see what actually runs faster. Outside a speed critical loop, push/pop wins in terms of convenience. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au This message was edited by hutch--, on 3/20/2001 2:55:28 AM
Posted on 2001-03-20 01:54:00 by hutch--
This macro really was meant to be used in a general context. All loop code, I would certainly hand code. It not allows you to trash whatever register you want to - just try:

mv MyDWORD1, MyDWORD2, eax
...and it'll use eax. I'll be using it and I can't see why others wouldn't as well - it's quite usefull and common. Enjoy, bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-20 02:05:00 by bitRAKE
To Nan: You are right about first time issue in this particular code. But it can be easily avoided with inreasing number of interations replacing mov ecx,100h with mov ecx,100h and shr eax,8 with shr eax,16 As to the rest, I optimize for Intel Pentium. Ran your algo and got the same result 2-3 clock faster in favour to mem > reg mem vs push mem pop mem. To Hutch: The worst thing about push mem pop mem in that it not only takes 5 clocks but it is NP wich is slowing down not only this operation but code before and after. The only thing for it - for some beginners it's easier to write and follow, that's why macro is needed. Moving through reg > mem will be at the and always faster even if you need to preserve and restore value of the reg you used for transition. Apparently it's true for Intell Pentium. Since it's the proccessor I'm writing for, it's true for me. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-03-20 14:19:00 by The Svin