Hey everyone.
I am currently working on a project to make a web browser just a simple one that has an address bar, and a window for the page to come up and maybe an about and file and exit but i am also a newbie :). So i kinda need some help. I am sort of grasping the idea of making windows but not quite almost there though. I am just thinking of making a template for it which brings me to my next point as of now i am using masm32. So i need help for that specific tool not tasm or nams or any others. I need to know how to make the window where the web page will display and how to make the address bar fully functional ( I already know about button, radio box , etc classes already made). I would greatly appreciate any help.
Posted on 2002-01-02 21:00:32 by resistance_is_futile
Have you looked at iczellions tutorials. these will show you how to create your window. For an address bar try a basic edit control, create this using CreateWindowEx I would do this in the WM_CREATE of your main window.
Posted on 2002-01-02 21:09:21 by Quantum
I have already looked at his tutorial on creating windows and have read it 2 times going on 3 as of now. But what about positioning the bar. How would i position it in the window? And i also need to place a area to view the web page. How would i do that?
Posted on 2002-01-02 21:16:08 by resistance_is_futile
hello r_i_f,
What you're trying to do (a web browser in asm) has already been started by Xtreme. I hate to break this out to you (that is, if you're not aware yet), that doing a web browser doesn't just involve the API common controls but a basic knowledge of COM/ActiveX as well. I gather you're not up to developing your own browser control :grin:. What's usually done in applications such as EditPlus and CodeCharge is embed the Internet Explorer Web Browser control. You can also use the Open source Mozilla as an ActiveX control.

Anyway, check on the COM forum in this board (or click) to see what's already been done. And do post a comment :grin: . I and many others have been wanting to keep the thread on top. Unfortunately, Xtreme seems to have been very busy lately and hasn't updated the control yet. What's best though, is that you can get the source code for free ;)

.pix
Posted on 2002-01-02 22:20:30 by pixelwise
Xtreme did not write a web browser. Microsoft packaged their browser in a COM dll so it can be reused, and X reused that one.

Mind you, what he did was no simple task, and it was groundbreaking, impressive work. But he didn't write a browser.

A modern browser would probably be just be too much work for a single person. Concider, MSIE first off runs in 3 threads, the usre interface (display window), the download thread, and a rendering thread.

If you're unsure of how to do internet transfers, how are you on multiple threading?

I would fear writing a simple lable window from scratch, let alone one with hot spots, inline pictures, and whatever else you want to include. And users WANT you to include that stuff or your browser will fall into the dust bin of useless programs.

But hey, eveyone needs a a hobby. If you have the drive, go for it.
Posted on 2002-01-02 23:10:11 by Ernie
HEy i went to that com thread or whatever..how do i d/l the source code, dll, or whatever from there?
Posted on 2002-01-02 23:44:28 by resistance_is_futile
Xtreme did not write a web browser.

Of course. Blame it on my bad english if I seemed to imply that :grin: But I did say that the browser control is embedded on an application. And the Mozilla web browser can also be embedded as an ActiveX control. Ok, the right word is reuse then. Thanks for pointing that out :)

A modern browser would probably be just be too much work for a single person.

Well, MS and Netscape did and do spend million$ for theirs :grin:

r_i_f, you can find samples of using the IE WebBrowser control on the MS site. They all use C++ with either MFC or ATL though :( . Another one is K-Meleon which uses Mozilla. I got them just to see "what it looks like" but don't plan to go through the source. I've tried using the control in straight C, but it's always fun to try things out in asm :grin: Presently, I'm losing hair over Ernie's CoLib.

I suggest you get a good grip on Iczelion's tutorials first. If you know C/C++ you can get the COM samples from the MS site (find the package which doesn't use MFC/ATL). Then go through Ernie's CoLib and docs. I'm sure by then the Win98 problem of Xtreme's work have been solved and we all happily use it :grin:

.pix
Posted on 2002-01-02 23:56:03 by pixelwise
If someone is really gung ho about creating their own browser without 3party controls, go for gold and create the worlds first CSS2 full compliant browser. I'd bet that your name will be in the next OReilly book on CSS.
Posted on 2002-01-03 03:04:51 by eet_1024
heres Xtremes browser client as he uploaded it (with the Win98 bug)
Posted on 2002-01-03 07:56:54 by japheth
Thx for the file! And yea making a browser is a very long process which requires alot of skill but I have had my goals set on making one since the first time i started even looking at assembly. I did not know that no one had ever done it before or even tried it. But hey who knows maybe i will accomplish something eh? Im gonna keep on trying at it and see what comes up. Any advice or help on where i can get info about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on 2002-01-03 16:28:51 by resistance_is_futile