This browser synchronizes itself with the website. 3 files since it was so huge. Also you need to have VB6 runtime and OLE files (you'll probably all will have them) because including them would have bloated the package with 9 more MB!! If you're not sure try to get the newest IE on a CD and install that then you'll probably have the newest components. setup.zip offline.zip, the database the smilies (very small ;) ) OK download setup.zip, offline.zip and the smilies. extract setup.zip, run the setup program. Extract offline.zip, place offline.mdb in your install directory. Extract images.zip, places the images folder (and contents) in the install directory. go to your control panel, look for ODBC32 and a User DSN named 'Offline Messageboard' and point it to the database. just click 'Add', Select Microsoft Access Driver and click finish. Set 'Offline Messageboard' as datasource name. Then click on select, locate the offline.mdb database in the install directory and select it. Then just click OK. That's it :) The package will be updated some more for more ease of use. The ODBC DSN (the above voodoo :rolleyes: ) needs to be done only once. The setup package is 1.4 MB, the database package is 1.6 MB because it contains all messages until now, so no need to synchronize immediately :) Also the first time that you use it go to 'Settings' and fill in your username and password. This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 3/18/2001 7:09:58 AM
Posted on 2001-03-18 06:07:00 by Hiroshimator
for people needing VB6 runtimes some of you might also need Microsoft Data Access Components This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 3/18/2001 11:42:26 AM
Posted on 2001-03-18 10:39:00 by Hiroshimator
Hmm, for now I am getting Runtime-error 430 when starting the offline browser and I am not able to click on any of the buttons on the main window. Hope the Access Stuff you linked to helps me ;) Stefan
Posted on 2001-03-18 11:55:00 by Stefan Krause
The whole install package (huge but I saw that many of you need a lot of updates, better use something like getright 9.9MB) You still need to download the database and images files.
Posted on 2001-03-18 12:22:00 by Hiroshimator
Cool proggie, however, it doesn't update to the most recent message... the Feedback forum is missing this message thread, and the general is missing about 7 or so messages... also, in the back ground, even tho I can browse, if I minimize, there is a "Invalid Property" message which kills the app if I click OK... Otherwise, I suppose it is better since you do know the message board format better than I do and my past month hasn't brought my much fortune with the DSL probs and all. My offline browser had to read the messages themselves because even with the stream, I can't know which forum the messages belong to. If I can know that, it can update from the stream and generate the messages at display-time (Like yours). From there, it could go through the database and produce the CHM. Otherwise, it has to read the pages themselves and store them for the CHM program to generate it. If the stream.asp page can be updated to indicate the forumname hopefully instead of ID, then I can change it to read from there (that would be the best way). It takes too long to read 5000 pages. And if I provide them already downloaded with the program, it'll be 40+MB compressed. The stream is best. Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-18 14:24:00 by _Shawn
shawn I can send you the source if you wish it still has some errors with some people but unfortunately I think those are connection errors due their connection. I never get the error and I get the updates. But I know that the update routine isn't perfect yet. I just needed it to be done fast since I'm starting to work tomorrow and I'll have less time then.
Posted on 2001-03-18 14:53:00 by Hiroshimator
Does anyone else here see the irony. An asembly forum set up to preach the greatness of assembly and yet the program for viewing our forum is written in VB of all languages. Seems kinda hypocritical to me. This message was edited by Zadkiel, on 3/18/2001 6:00:26 PM
Posted on 2001-03-18 16:59:00 by Zadkiel
Zad, There is no hypocracy. All the messages in the forum are related to assembly (except when they go off topic). Therefore, the forum itself is serving its purpose and is living up to it's expectations, of discussing... assembly!!! On that wise, the forum itself also uses ASP. Would it be no less hypocritical for that reason? To prevent the heresy, perhaps he should remove all the ASP pages and rewrite using exe's in CGI bin that are 100% pure asm... and so what if the archiver is written in VB? We wanted to be completed this year. Unfortunately, doing it in assmebly would be much more complicated. Besides, there was no such requirement. :D No pun intended. Hiro, Yeah, send me the sources... you have my email address... thanks... _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-18 17:15:00 by _Shawn
Request. The synchronize routine is blocking mode?? If so, pleaz fix to non-blocking mode. And when i push synchronize button, sometimes it hung up.
Posted on 2001-03-18 18:08:00 by hanzo
you know zadkiel if you want to do it: be my guest. if not let me split my already limited time the way I want it. Anymore people with errors? I don't experience any but some have some connection errors.
Posted on 2001-03-18 23:46:00 by Hiroshimator
Zad, Once the offline browser is able to hold its own, I don't think it would be a bad idea to then move on and write an assembly language version. It would be great for the learning experience. VB is a prototyping language (at least, it supposed to be, or was years ago) as such, I use it that way. Even tho I have a debugger written in VB... pretty amazing. Pure VB. But for this purpose, I might just rewrite another version if it's that important. But I need it working in some HLL first... Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-19 00:49:00 by _Shawn
yeah right now I lack much time as well. I don't really understand why it doesn't work with some. It worked perfectly here and I tried many accounts. I hope it's not because of lower connections since that would kind of defeat it's purpose.
Posted on 2001-03-19 03:35:00 by Hiroshimator
Hiro, A slow connection wouldn't be the cause of a 430 run-time error. However, for synchronizing hanging up, it's possible. These are the two errors listed in this thread. I think the best way to synchronise, would be to provide a way to specify the data and time of the last syncronize so you only get the latest and not the whole thing each time. Also, Hiro, is it possible the downloaded database could be send with current data already synchronize, at last as of say, today? Then it should be easier to synronise in the future... unless that was already done (I didn't look)... _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-19 10:58:00 by _Shawn
I offer up my most sincere apologies, I didnít mean to insult, I was only expressing my flawed opinion. I want to thank you for all you have done. The time and effort you all put into this forum is, for lack of a better word, divine. This is truly the best resource for assembly programming on the net, thanks to you and all the work youíve put in. And to be quite frank, while Iím not contributing to it I donít have the right to complain. Sorry for any hassle I caused.
Posted on 2001-03-19 12:16:00 by Zadkiel