i meant four ascii zero terminated characters...:)
Posted on 2001-03-19 11:10:00 by Geecko
maybe i got something wrong, but why is it important if you send binary file or text file over internet, i mean isnt file for a computer just a bunch of bytes, 00 00 00 00 could mean three NULL terminated charachter or one 32 bit zero...i notice this in ftp protocol when u choose in what format you download some file or sth...u can choose plain text or binary,sometimes you get errors if you dont choose right, 10x
Posted on 2001-03-19 11:10:00 by Geecko
You are right that data is just a bunch of bytes and that in reality there is no difference between ASCII and BINARY. But the reason the two transfer modes exist on FTP servers is this: Windows based systems uses the two byte sequence 10,13 to denote the end of a line of text. Other operating systems (UNIX for instance) uses only a single byte (13) to mark the end of a line of text. So when you upload a text file written in notepad to a UNIX FTP server and use ASCII mode the server will strip out all byte 10 from the file. Then when you download the file in ASCII the reverse will happen (i think it's clientside during download). So if you would upload or download a program file in ASCII mode all byte 13 would be converted to 10,13 and therefore invalidate the file. So in short: BINARY mode will give you the file exactly as it is stored on the server and ASCII mode will give you a modified file where the 's have been fixed to match your operating system. This message was edited by Zynaps, on 3/20/2001 6:59:30 AM
Posted on 2001-03-20 05:58:00 by Zynaps
thank you for the answer
Posted on 2001-03-20 09:45:00 by ^cyer