Obviously, these are all important... and it's tough to choose just one, simply because each has their place. What I'm looking for is the style most preferred, not the contant. What kinds of tutorials you feel are most helpful? Small examples demonstrating the smallest necessary point (e.g. Icz's tutorials) In-Depth dissection of larger, more complicated subjects (e.g. Ernies COM tutorials) Detailed tutorials not only demonstrating how to do something, but also things you can do with it (e.g. a treeview example with explanation of various finer details) Interactive learning (e.g. an recently proposed multimedia learning -- I'm all for it, BTW) More info about how to achieve HLL simulations with asm Windows Assembly Language Programming for Dummies (r)
Posted on 2001-03-26 10:36:00 by _Shawn
hi:D
Posted on 2001-03-26 12:09:00 by lurker
When voting I recieved this error... Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10' Too few parameters. Expected 1. /asmcommunity/messageboard/vote.asp, line 18
Posted on 2001-03-26 14:23:00 by tudisco
All of the above? One vote :grin: Depends where we are on the curve.
Posted on 2001-03-26 14:31:00 by rafe
tudisco, Yeah, when I voted I got the same error... and if you keep going back and trying to vote again, each vote will count until it finally gets right... beacuse of the same error, I accidentally voted twice on the item I voted on (and didn't know it until afterwords)... Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:06:00 by _Shawn
just got home from work. It's fixed. A tiny piece of code I forgot to update after I updated the MB to facilitate offline browsing :-/ My code never contains bugs, I just make a lot of errors and am forgetfull ;)
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:18:00 by Hiroshimator
I've not once yet experienced a bug in my code... when was the last time you opened up your source and found a moth??? :D _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:47:00 by _Shawn
I tend to read everything on ASM programming I come across and I'm very thankful for the work that is out there. But until my mind can wrap around a concept and all it's detail, I'm in the dark - or so it seems. This usually requires using the material to bring out the wrong assumptions that I've made about the material that I've read. With this in mind, it might be a good idea to have Win32asm lessons. Not just tutorials, but goals for the individual to achieve in order to demonstrate the concept in use. This is especially true when combining concepts. Some people will of course do this for themselves, but having coding goals which should be able to be completed with the knowledge in the tutorial is a real plus. bitRAKE.
Posted on 2001-03-26 16:20:00 by bitRAKE
I'd like to see an asm math tutorial which explains how to do advanced math like signed/unsigned integer/floating point calculations.
Posted on 2001-03-27 02:08:00 by Zynaps
Zynaps, I need that tutorial too. If you find it, tell me. :rolleyes:
Posted on 2001-03-27 04:54:00 by wolfao
I've started working already on the C/C++ 2 ASM tutorials and guides. Just converting the auto keyword was 2 pages worth of 3 different ways to do it in assembly... that's keyword #1 of... 32? I'm breaking these tutorials into 3 parts. Part I. is C keywords and functions, parameter passing and stuff like that. Intro to registers and how windows uses them, how VC++ and Borland compilers use them, and how you can use them. Part II will probly be C++ classes and OOP concepts. Part III will be math. I'm not very good at math in assembly, I don't presume to know I can teach it either, but I'll learn it for this reason. I'm talking about 32-bit math. I'll have to get some help for that one. Also, this week, I'll starting privately handing the tutorial to certain people to gauge it's correctness... next week or so you should see these tutorials... at least, part I...
Posted on 2001-03-27 10:43:00 by _Shawn
Shawn, It's oft been said "the best way to learn something is to try to teach it." That's been my expierence, and it's my personal reason for writing tuts and posting answers here. As far as doing math, well, it's surprising to me how far I have gone with knowing almost nothing about doing math in asm. Sure, I can add and subtract, even use negative numbers (which is mostly confined to negating a register, then adding to it to save a step or two). Once (ONCE!) for my asm control I had to convert pixels to system high metrics, the constant for which is something like 24.66666. The MASM reference chapter 5 (on the coprocessor) got me through this horrible expierence. ----------------------------- "Aw, being a clown sux. You get kicked by kids, hit by dogs, and admired by the elderly. Who am I clowning? I have no business being a clown! Iím leaving the clowning business to all the other clowns in the clowning business."
Posted on 2001-03-27 11:14:00 by Ernie
Ernie, I know how you feel, for my asm stuff, I rarely need math, also. The problem, is that, when I do most of my real programming (in C or VB or Object Pascal) I simply can't avoid math. Guess it's because I'm in R&D. I don't know how complicated I'll get with the math in ASM. Most of my math is basic add, sub, div, and mul... I rarely to geometry or trig in any language. Nonetheless, it's important. Specially if you're doing 3d graphic opimizations, how can you not know math? For the most part, it will probly not be used quite as frequently as other stuff... but, it'll be fun to learn. It'll be more fun to see if I ever use it :D _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-27 11:50:00 by _Shawn
I have a lot of source code from everywhere, and when I need some math, I can usually find something similar by someone. It might be in 16-bit DOS code, but it's fairly easy to extrapolate that to 32-bit. I did much of my own math stuff on the 68000 - all multi-register integer stuff for a fractal program. I haven't really done much floating point and it makes me feel like half the chip is just sitting there. :) There does seem to be floating point code around the web as well - I've never went look specifically for it. bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-27 14:39:00 by bitRAKE
I'd be happy to help people with floating point math, I could never find any good tutorials on it on the web and its all I do on computers. I'm not going to just write a couple of tutorials and post them on the web, I'd get bored before long. Rather I'd be very happy to solve problems for people. Be they specific or general, I don't care, theres just nothing I love better than solving maths problems. Specifically I love 3d maths and trigonometry, so just throw them all my way. Either by e-mail or posts I don't mind, however e-mails will be spotted first. A word of warning I'm no expert, I only do my best. And just to add my comments on tutorials, I'd like to see more of Iczelions type. I don't like being told what to do with something, just how to do it.
Posted on 2001-03-27 15:45:00 by Zadkiel
One thing I have learned is to target capacity in a narrow and clear way. Wide ranging applications tend to be too hard to find your way around when looking for a particular capacity. I have used this approach in most instances in the example code in MASM32 so that if a programmer coming into win 32 assembler nees to find out how to do the basic things, there is a working example of how to do it in a simple way. Tutorials are a different animal, the approach that Iczelion has taken is a good one in that it addresses a concept at a time without a mountain of clutter attached to it. I am very much in favour of diversity as programmers are pretty diverse people, Zcoder's suggestion sounded like a good one in that much of the basic conceptual framework of assembler is complicated and needs to be made available to newbies in a direct uncomplicated manner. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-27 18:11:00 by hutch--
Hutch, I agree with you. When I was studying COM, I couldn't for the life of me grasp it until Dan Appleman's ActiveX components book which had lots of cute little comics illustrating the IDispatch and IUnknown. When I started learning 32-bit asm (even tho I'm familiar with 6502 8-bit), I had to re-learn it all over again. Which one's got me there? I have some articles and a book which illustrates things graphically. When you're new at something, no matter how advanced you are at everything else, you're always like a child until you learn it... that's why multimedia tits help you to learn easier. _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-28 17:44:00 by _Shawn