Hello. This is to any of you people out there who just READ this board, but don't post. Not ever, not even once. Hey, could you please post to just say 'hi"? I'm wondering just how many people are activly using this site, and making just one post would put you in the "registered users" count. No, we're not gonna contact you, resell the email addy, or spam you with p0rn ads. I just want to know who's out there. ----------------------------- "Oh my god! Space Aliens! Donít eat me, I have a wife and kids! Eat them!"
Posted on 2001-03-26 11:13:00 by Ernie
Wow, Ernie... never thought I'd hear this tone from you. I agree, tho, I think there are far more people viewing than there are contributing. Seems to be a trend. Even in the NG's, I look at thousands of posts, and usually, you end up with about 30 names that contribute regularily and fewer that contribute at all. Think that's here, too. We have over 200 registered users and yet, if you look at all the posts, you come up with about 15 people that contribute and the rest is a very small fraction of posts that are hardly noticeable. Well, I hope more people do get involved. Everyone has something to share, even the newbie. I learn a lot from beginners, I learn a lot from experienced people, also. The more people who share, the better off we are. And since this board is well moderated, there are rarely flame wars. That's not what this is about, it's about helping each other. On the other hand, I was just lurking around when I saw this post and had to respond... :D My $0.02, _Shawn ;)
Posted on 2001-03-26 11:45:00 by _Shawn
And I still have yet to actually ask a question... all I ever do is answer........ Umbongo The only person in the UK who owns an animal without foot and mouth
Posted on 2001-03-26 11:55:00 by umbongo
I'm here :D
Posted on 2001-03-26 12:05:00 by bazik
Hi! I just wanted to state that I agree to Ernie completely. In the beginning (on Icz's old board) I didn't dare to reply to anything and I changed my nick very often just not to show that I still didn't understand what was told to me. But I can subscribe that noone will ever get blamed for any stupid question (except the question is not concerning legal stuff as it has been here some times). So, post and expand our knowledge base! Stefan P.S. I am not Kinyanjui, a Black Rhino umbongo sponsors :P
Posted on 2001-03-26 13:29:00 by Stefan Krause
Let me first say that this is a wonderful board. I still remember the first time I stumbled upon Icz's old board. I had no idea that there were this many people interested in win32 asm programming. I'm a newbie when it comes to asm though. I don't post very often for a couple of reasons. I've actually answered at least a couple questions, but usually hesitate answering because of uncertainty on my part. On the other hand, I don't ask very many questions because of a certain phenomenon that I've discovered. It seems that shortly after I post a question, I stumble upon the answer which makes me feel really silly. So yes Ernie, I'm a lurker. *fake tears* I admit it. --4oh4
Posted on 2001-03-26 14:54:00 by 4oh4
posting a message does not register you. The e-mailaddress you're asked for is just so the database knows where to send your password should you forget. So for all of you who haven't supplied a working e-mailaddress: hope you never forget your password :P
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:21:00 by Hiroshimator
>> P.S. I am not Kinyanjui, a Black Rhino umbongo sponsors
naa, you look more like a white rhino.. there are only 22 Northern White Rhinos left on the planet! So there is something rarer than a assembly programmer using windows :) Umbongo Rhino Saver
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:29:00 by umbongo
how much does it cost to sponsor a rhino?
Posted on 2001-03-26 15:39:00 by Hiroshimator
Why dont you look in www server logs and see how many hits the page gets...just a suggestion:)
Posted on 2001-03-26 16:24:00 by Geecko
how much does it cost to sponsor a rhino?
Well since you asked I pay £2 a month (umm $3 I think?) Sponsor Kinyanjui here umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-27 03:27:00 by umbongo
If you would sponsor a rhino, you think you could also sponsor a assembly programmer?LOL Anyway, I just had to put my two bits in about people being afriad to post a question. I have been programing for many CPU's and old systems like CP/M ect. I just found that I can program in windows now and it was not that long ago. I always ask dumb questions, LOTS, I know that I ask a dumb question now and then, But I do feel that the people here will not linch me for it. At least to date they have not done so yet.... So go ahead and ask anything you feel you are having problems with, I am sure you will get your anwsers and without being linched.
Posted on 2001-03-27 21:34:00 by Zcoder
I'm too is really just a lurker, with my skills being in embedded systems programming. However to get a greater understanding of Win16/32 C++ & VB I often only understand it when it has been translated to ASM. Especially OOP, while conceptually easy to understand I find it bloody hard to read/write with a great understanding. BUT WIN32 ASM I find much easier to understand and I read most post with great delight and are slowly working my way thru the tutorials. Just me 2 bobs ...... fiddler
Posted on 2001-03-28 04:08:00 by fiddler
to umbongo: You are actually asking one question all the time: Why Hiro doesn't want to put "Guru", below your name. ------------------ As for me if anybody wants to put "Swine" below my name, I wouldn't care. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-03-28 06:04:00 by The Svin
Yes, I occasionally lurk and read when its of some interest. If I have something to contribute I most certainly will. Hi to all!
Posted on 2001-03-28 06:05:00 by bcraven
For a fertile environment of communication you need three things:
  • Permission
  • Potency
  • Protection
  • Without these things you will exclude some people. But it's tricky because these things are interpreted differently for everybody. I think that this board provides the best environment for assembly language programming that I've seen. I don't really like the personal comments that have been on this board - even if the target of those comments deserved them, or not. This is a great place and I read most everything posted.
    Posted on 2001-03-28 10:40:00 by bitRAKE
    guru is just something I used for the moderators. that's all. Feel free to give other suggestions.
    Posted on 2001-03-28 12:25:00 by Hiroshimator
    I chuckled at the title of guru when Hiroshimator changed the last naming convention as I just don't have the figure for it. My image of a guru is a short indian guy running an esoreric sect of some type mouthing strange and obscure pearls of wisdom to the faithful. I plugged for something like "Cranky old b****ard", "Antique warrior" "Geriatric Code generator" but to be fair to Ernie and Bogdan who are still handsome young fellas, I did not push the idea that hard. What has been good about this forum is that it is free of any elitism that is common on IRC, there are many very experienced programmers who post in this forum and its done with the normal goodwill to help out other assembler programmers. It is important that no-one feels that they cannot post an idea. Many Many of the young guys have some very good ideas and it is important when writing assembler to be original and try out new things and ways of doing things. If you like reading the postings, drop us all a line in a post letting us know that you are here. If you have an idea or some code, be willing to share it around and don't worry about any wise guys who may try and make wisecracks, thats what we have Hiroshimator for,

mov eax, idiot
        xor eax, eax   ; 

About the only people who will get a hard time here are those who want to write viruses and trojans, it is not only illegal but the majority of programmers who write assembler are not associated with destructive and stupid things and would abandon the forum if it allowed this type of conduct. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
    Posted on 2001-03-28 16:56:00 by hutch--
    mov eax, idiot xor eax, eax ;
    Surely : - pop idiot is quicker :) Umbongo
    Posted on 2001-03-28 18:08:00 by umbongo
    to umbongo: You are actually asking one question all the time: Why Hiro doesn't want to put "Guru", below your name. ------------------ As for me if anybody wants to put "Swine" below my name, I wouldn't care.
    I have to disagree there Svin, I don't consider myself a guru, I was just expecting it to change at 100 messages, I don't know why, I just was.... To be honest, I wondered what it all meant, there were lots of different types when I started, I think they should be removed, all except "moderator" and that would be just to show that the person was a moderator, rather than an external poster. Umbongo
    Posted on 2001-03-28 18:13:00 by umbongo