I made a program that is going to be a Demo with source code. But before I let the demo and the source code out, I need to make sure it runs on other systems. please test this for me and tell me what OS you was running and if there was any problems. Please test it and try to find any errors. This example shows how to makes skins,fake Title bars, recource thru directorys,moving your window with mouse traping. You can get the program at FindallFiles.exe Thank you...
Posted on 2001-03-31 11:59:00 by Zcoder
very cool program and fast. might i suggest a clear button. worked great on my p3 500 running windows 2000sp1. utilized 80-94 percent of cpu with 14,928k of memory while searching my c: partition. on first startup cpu usage is 0 and memory is 1,916k. after search is completed cpu is back to 0 percent and memory is still at 14,928k. keep up the work smurf oh ya i tested it for about 5 min not too long but checked my cd, a:, c: drives without any difficulty. when drive a: had no disk in the drive the a message poped up. but when i tryed to search my cd drive without a cd there was no indication that i had no cd in the drive other than the fact in the set path.... it showed there wasnt a cd in the drive. *shrug* I verified the vertical movement bug on win2k. it appeared to minimize to the system taskbar but from there i could never get the window to reappear... i would have to close out the program. rinsed and repeated many times and the bug was consistent. This message was edited by smurf, on 3/31/2001 2:28:03 PM This message was edited by smurf, on 3/31/2001 2:31:57 PM This message was edited by smurf, on 3/31/2001 7:59:18 PM
Posted on 2001-03-31 13:27:00 by smurf
Hi, I checked your proggy on my AMD K5 PR-150 with 48MB Ram running Win98SE and I have had no problems with it. I used it on my small HD (1.7GB) and it was really fast and stable and didn't take my system down that much. Afterwards I checked it on my newer HD (10GB Partition of 20.2 GB) with 15,405 files on it and I had still been able to browse through the I-Net, receive my mails and do some small games. I am really looking forward for getting the source as there are several aspects I like to see. For now I can only say that there are no problems and the program runs stable. Stefan P.S. I am interested what The Svin will say to your proggy ás he is nearly always the one finding mistakes!
Posted on 2001-03-31 15:59:00 by Stefan Krause
I moved it fast verticaly and it disapired from the screen. It was on task bar though. But clicking it on the task bar did help to bring it to the screen. I closed it with right click menu. Repeated several times the same action - effect always the same. Win NT 4.0 WS. SP 4. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-03-31 16:40:00 by The Svin
Windows 2000, dual 800Mhz, 384MB PC133 I tried it on my small drive 72,205 files. Same problem as Svin - when the window is moved vertically. Also, the title bar redraw isn't right when another window overlapse. Cool colors :D
Posted on 2001-03-31 17:04:00 by bitRAKE
I have two OS's on my computer now win98 and windows ME, I have found no problems with them. I do have windows 2000 I might have to install it so I can find out why it seems to have that problem. And thanks to everyone that has tried it and I really like the way everyone really tested it out. I will be fixing the problems and will put the source out as soon, as I get the problems figured out. I know there are alot of vertions of each windows OS's so I still need it tested on afew of those as well..
Posted on 2001-03-31 17:56:00 by Zcoder
i think its time for Svinn to upgrade. im pretty sure service pack 23 is out. smurf
Posted on 2001-03-31 19:03:00 by smurf
win2000 here if it's moved too fast in any direction then it will hide in the taskbar and won't come out again. The process also keeps running for a while. I use this to move custom windows:

.ELSEIF uMsg==WM_LBUTTONDOWN
	call ReleaseCapture
	invoke SendMessage,hWnd,WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN, HTCAPTION,0
since it is actually the behaviour what you'd get in normal windows. It can be modified so that it only responds to mouse downs in certain regions. (with a rectangle shaped bar it's not hard I imagine :) ) The only 'problem' I have with it is that it shows the 'original' shape of your window. Which is less pretty with a fancy bitmap based window. Can't have it all I guess :)
Posted on 2001-03-31 19:10:00 by Hiroshimator
I grabbed the title bar and moved it quickly, the Window disappeared, and I couldn't get it back. I closed it by right clicking on the Start bar. Running it multiple times on one or more drives consumes memory, there is a leak. :( Window is too small to see full paths, horizontal scroll doesn't work. Grab vertical scroll bar and slide it down after a few hundred files, get chattering scroll as list gets longer. I would suggest after the visible portion of the display list is filled, that you disable writing to the screen, except every so many files. If I change the path without using the Set Path button, the path searched doesn't change. I can also change the Searching...Finished line, or the number in the Files display line. NT4 sp6 dual 667 PIII 1GB, Matrox G400 dualhead, UWFast SCSI hardware raid. NTs Find Files is faster by orders of magntude. Win98 P100 64mb, Cirrus logic video, mixed SCSI and IDE drives. 98s Find Files aborted with too many files.
Posted on 2001-03-31 19:15:00 by SFinegan
I have a similar program I wrote recently, so I had something to benchmark yours with. To make the benchmarking "fair", I set my listbox to LBS_SORT and added a file counter. My computer is a 500mHz P3 with 64M ram and a 6 gig HD (29,251 files) running Win98 SE. Results: your prog -> approx 46 sec. my prog -> approx 12 sec. my prog -> approx 2 sec. (without the overhead of displaying to the screen) I don't know if you saw it but my search alog. was posted awhile back and then optimized by The Svin. Then I tried running them both at the same time. This was educational(?). Your program slows to a crawl until mine finishes. This happens no matter which one starts first. I'm not using threads or priority boosting of any sort so this kind of suprised me. Other comments, My program -> Fast,Ugly,8k Your program -> Could be faster,Very pretty,669k Also, there has to be a way to have a title on the toolbar button without having a window title. I don't know how yet but its easy to do with delphi. This message was edited by anon, on 3/31/2001 9:21:49 PM
Posted on 2001-03-31 20:17:00 by anon
anon, My Sub rutine does it in 1.7 sec. thats with 84,712 files and God knows how many folders. maybe I should make it count the folders as well. The sub is only 59 bytes, without the extra stuff to display the file count and the file names. Anyway I have it doing other stuff such as calling Iczelion's DWORD to Ascii then I wanted comma's in my value's so I had to reformat it with comma's The whole program was not written as a life saver, critical time was not on my list for this Demo. If it was I would not have had all the makeup on the app to make it look so bretty. I was showing how others that don't know much about making windows look different also the search algo can be used in other stuff. I just put alot of stuff together that I learned to kinda make a program that serves no perpose but to show some example coding, I plan on fixing the problems and then put out the source. By the way, if speed is so important you should find or write a windows in asm couse when you run in a OS that is slow all you can make faster is what goes on in your app, it slows down when you call into windows, sooooo. I do code with speed in mind it is just what comes natural to a 20 year assembler programmer. But when it comes to some app's it is not important. I have done stuff in just 64k of ram that most people would find hard like editing an unlimited file size. I already know about coding small and fast. Assembly is the only language I know, I have written in it for over 20 years, I have been in most of the older systems, programed for alot of CPU's written compilers decompilers, ZRUN was one I wrote for the Z80, I found out not that long ago that I had the tools to program in windows, so I come here to help get good with windows and to help people here. fast coding should not be important to a beginner he will get that into his blood as he gains more ground, same as it came to me. crawl before you walk. I guess I am here to help others. If someone ask's me how I can speed up something, then I will show them some fast code. Also by no means was I tring to out do your file search algo. and I still have no desire to do so. maybe when I get that big job working for NASNA and writting time cridical code for there space shuttle then I guess I would. Like I said I am here to learn and to help others. This message was edited by Zcoder, on 3/31/2001 11:20:44 PM
Posted on 2001-03-31 22:04:00 by Zcoder
My puter: Win98 500Mhz 64Megs Ram Not to bad, my only advice is: -In the taskbar, your app has the default windows icon (patch up the small icon in the WNDCLASSEX structure) and as somebody said before, when your app is searching, stick the mouse cursor over the listbox and you will notice it flickering, that means, say for when searching my C Drive, the listbox is trying to redraw itself about 25,780 times :(. -Unless you use the select path button, it automacticly starts searching c:\. -If you are searching you can continue to click Find All multible times Stats: Cdrive: 25,780 files: 55 secs Ddrive (CD-Rom): 3,192 files: 3 secs (includes diskbuffer mechanism)
Posted on 2001-03-31 22:46:00 by George
Zcoder, I wasn't criticizing (or bragging). Was just making some observations. I will certainly study your code when it is released. I think most of us are here to learn and share.
Posted on 2001-03-31 23:12:00 by anon
Zcoder, on my win95, PII 300Mhz, 50M ram your program work well and fast. I've seen that your windows move very fast when you drag it on the screen. That's what i was trying to do without success. I've done a little program with a custom round bitmap window but it's not so fast. When i move it there is some delay about pixels refresh, expecially if there is another app. open as background. I mean that after dragging, for a moment i see old window again on the screen. Have you some suggestion to make my window fast as your is when i drag it with the mouse ? thanks angelo
Posted on 2001-04-02 15:41:00 by angelo
angelo, I can give you the bare bones of this program. I am working on it still But I can give you the bare bones version where you can see how I am draging the window ect. I won't resease this yet as I hate to release junk out there is still problems with it. I once posted some source to Iczelion there was some small bugs I forgot. He never posted them so, I don't release code anymore untill I have tested it. If your interested just post a reply on this site and I will send you the code for the draging part ect... This message was edited by Zcoder, on 4/2/2001 11:09:21 PM
Posted on 2001-04-02 23:04:00 by Zcoder
Zcoder, thanks in advice for your answer. Yes, i'm very interested in your code, also only for creating windows and dragging. But i've not hurry ! I can also wait the final release. Thanks again
Posted on 2001-04-03 01:59:00 by angelo
zcoder i would like to take a look at your code if you dont mind. thanks smurf
Posted on 2001-04-03 02:27:00 by smurf
Zcoder, can you tell us how you coded the QuitAll part of your program? :rolleyes:
Posted on 2001-04-03 06:59:00 by wolfao
wolfao, I am not sure what you mean by "QuitAll part of your program? " Could you explain what you mean by that? maybe it's just going over my head.... Anyway I will be glade to offer any part of the program that is working correctly so please be more clear on what you mean...
Posted on 2001-04-03 08:04:00 by Zcoder
Very impressive, It worked great on my celeron 400 running windows 98se I think that "wolfao" mean that when you quit the program that you run 1410048 bytes of .AVI. I grabbed the title bar and moved it quickly, the Window did not disappear, and all of it behaved quite well. What surprise me, is that you have nearly everything as dialogs in .rc file and only 3 static windows as buttons. Also your background bitmap is 157462 bytes - really large while your code is only 6862 bytes including data. Well it could be easily compressed and it would become 6 times smaller. Good work forge
Posted on 2001-04-03 08:15:00 by forge