Handling arguments in Win32 style procs. Passing arg. to invoke. Addressing to arguments. (Based on analiz of comctls.asm - masm32\example1\comctls.asm) For beginners -----------------------

Look at the code.
 m2m caW,lParam[0] ;client area width
 m2m caH,lParam[2] ;client area height

To understand it fully in need to have a clear picture of what
actually are arguments in stdcall procs, locals, stack, and stack frame.
In such times I really hate R.Hyde - he might have wrote good,
big and detailed articles on such topics, but he prefered his HLA when
proceeded to Win32 ASM.

I'm not going now in detail of stack framing, only basic information.
When in a proc like:

WndProc proc hWnd:DWORD,uMsg:DWORD,wParam:DWORD,lParam:DWORD

and then you addressing to any of the argument
like mov eax,hWnd
or    .IF uMsg==WM_SIZE (really: cmp uMsg,5)

You are in real code addressing to data throu ebp as a pointer.

At the begining of such procs there is stack framing routine:
;upon entry in stack return address and followed it arguments
       puch ebp ;now in stack old ebp, ret address,arg
       mov ebp,esp ;it's for using ebp as pointer for memory in stack
       sub esp,number of bytes needed for locals
after that you may see that
data in  = old ebp
data in  = return address
data in  = first argument (the same is [8]
as you can see step is 4: ,[4],[8]
because all this data has DWORD size (4 bytes)
So now you probably can see that
 mov eax,hWnd is really mov eax,dword ptr [8]
 sub eax,uMsg   is really sub eax,dword ptr  ;
 if wParam == WM_SIZE is really cmp dword ptr [10h],5
 or eax,lParam is really or eax,dword ptr [14h]

So what is lParam[2]? it's [14h]+2 which is [16h]

Now let's have a look at the code:

invoke GetWindowRect,hStatus,ADDR Rct
 mov eax, Rct.bottom
 sub eax,Rct.top
 sub caH,eax
 invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,caH,caW,caH,TRUE

It is for repositioning status bar.
m2m is macro and means
 push memsource
 pop  memdest
caW and caH are local varibles and also addressed with help of ebp but
with minus offset 'cause they are between old esp and new esp
after substruction from esp number of bytes we need for local.
Because frame rutine put old esp to ebp (mov ebp,esp) and stack is growing
down (all new data with pushes go to less adresses then previous) memory
for locals are always in region between ebp (wich has bigger address) and new esp 
(wich has less address). It preserves locals from owewriting by stack operations
and allow address to them using ebp as a pointer so
 = address of the first local dword
 = address of the second and so on.

so
might for example means
 push [14]
 pop   
 push [16]
 pop   [-8]

Enough for now. Hope it help at least understand
is 4 stack operation with memory addressed by ebp.

Actually Steve (the author) found not bad way to address to width and height partts
in lParam. Instead of shifing and anding to extract low and high word from DWORD lParam
he just shift address by 2 so that low word of lParam gets in low word of one local
variable and high word of lParam gets in LOW WORD of the other local variable.
Good trick, Steve :)

Let's now count size and clocks for this part of code and try to do it faster and shorter.

push [14]
 pop   
 push [16]
 pop   [-8] 

Push memory 2 clocks, size with this addr. mode - 3 bytes
Pop memoty 3 clocks,size with this addr mode - 3 bytes
Altogether 10 clocks , 12 bytes.

Second part
 mov eax, Rct.bottom	;1 clock ,3 bytes
 sub eax,Rct.top		;2 clocks,3 bytes
 sub caH,eax	                ;3 clocks,3 bytes
;6 clocks, 9 bytes to culculate
invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,caH
Posted on 2001-04-01 09:33:00 by The Svin
Here is an alternative approach but it suffers from the same crudity as the original example, it uses what is properly a WORD size address from the stack and puts it into a DWORD size parameter in the MoveWindow() function call. It appears to work because the parameters for MoveWindow for the client area size can never be above the WORD limit of 64k and apparently it only reads the first WORD of the parameter. Replacing PUSH & POP in the m2m macro with the following code that accesses the stack directly gives a smaller instruction count.

.elseif uMsg == WM_SIZE

invoke SendMessage,hToolBar,TB_AUTOSIZE,0,0

; -------------------------------------------------
      mov eax, Rct.bottom
      sub eax, Rct.top
      movzx edx, word ptr 
      sub edx, eax

invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,edx,,edx,TRUE
    ; -------------------------------------------------
For safety reasons it is worth carrying the extra instruction to endure the data content is correct,

movzx eax, 
      invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,edx,eax,edx,TRUE
Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-01 12:27:00 by hutch--
movxz eax, WORD ptr can't be just movxz eax,
Posted on 2001-04-01 18:10:00 by The Svin
You are right, there are some things you should not post at 2am before you go to sleep, here is the working version.

.elseif uMsg == WM_SIZE

invoke SendMessage,hToolBar,TB_AUTOSIZE,0,0

mov eax, Rct.bottom
        sub eax, Rct.top
        movzx edx, word ptr 
        sub edx, eax
        movzx eax, word ptr 

invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,edx,eax,edx,TRUE
Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-01 19:51:00 by hutch--

Hi all. Lots of interesting stuff here. First let me stress that you don't need
to keep specifying :DWORD in arguments, locals and immed. pushes. This is the
default size for any 32 bit dataseg - which .model FLAT creates.

myproc proc arg1, arg2, ...		; these args will be dwords by default
local l1, l2 ...                ; as will these locals

It seems noone knows that Masm has a limited "casting" ability? Many times we
want to resize a child control to the whole client area. Typicaly we do:

.if umsg == WM_SIZE
		movzx eax, word ptr wparam		; width
		movzx edx, word ptr wparam+2	; height
		invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, eax, edx, TRUE

but you can just do this...

d equ 	; for brevity
	 w equ 

.if umsg == WM_SIZE
		invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, d,	d, TRUE

We need a "double" cast here. The "" forces a word access. This
is'nt enough though - you will crash because Masm will push words instead of
dwords (** bug? The proto should forbid this). Adding the second (outer) cast
to dword however causes Masm to promote the word to a dword!

If however you reference a variable which is already of type byte or word,
Masm will promote it to dword on it's own.

.data
b1	sbyte 43

.code
	invoke dwtoa, b1, addr buffer

... will faithfully produce the string "43" in buffer!
Have fun!!!
Posted on 2001-04-01 21:37:00 by gfalen
Oops... I just discovered that auto promotion does'nt always work. I invoked dwtoa with a byte, word and dword. It worked every time. Tried the same thing with MoveWindow ... crashed. It did work with a dword override though - ie. iwidth dw 600 iheight dw 400 invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, dword ptr iwidth, dword ptr iheight, TRUE It would seem that Masm IS promoting the words to dwords correctly. As opposed to just pushing the dword at that address on to the stack! I'd be interested in hearing how others fair with this technique. Do I have a corrupt Masm.exe? gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 02:05:00 by gfalen
Your code:

.if umsg == WM_SIZE
      invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, d,   d, TRUE
is the same as:
.if umsg == WM_SIZE
      invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, lparam, lparam+2, TRUE

it will result in (d,   d):

push   ;dword
                push  ;dword
The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 12:02:00 by The Svin
to Hutch: I did even more funny thing: I spelt movxz instead of movzx. And I did it twice :) As to your version: Add size and speed of instruction to get clear picture. Number of instruction means nothing. The only matter is their speed and size. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 12:20:00 by The Svin
Svin, the code invoke MoveWindow, hCtl, 0, 0, lparam, lparam+2, TRUE assumes there are 2 dwords at lparam & lparam+2 (MoveWindow expects this). But lparam actually contains 2 words packed into a dword (WM_SIZE msg). Masm does'nt know this and pushes the 2 dwords at those addresses. But those addresses DO NOT contain the width & height as dwords! This will fail. I've tried it. That is the reason we need a cast here (word to dword). Do you see what I'm driving at? gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 16:16:00 by gfalen
I have no idea what are you driving at, the only thing I can see in debugger or in opcodes is just that all three version in source will produce the same opcode. They all push dword ptr and dword ptr I can write it in pure opcodes or with any of sintax above it'll be the same. MoveWindow, as Steve noted, just doesn't check high word of those arguments. so when you push dword (or lParam) the low word will be width and high word will be height but the func. just doesn't care as it appearse to be what is in high word, then when you push dword ptr (or lParam+2) the high word of original lParam gets to low word of pushed argument and high word of this argument is filled with the stack garbidge. You may write anything you want in your source the matter is not what you write but what opcode is translated from your code. It's very easy for asm programmer figure out what actually tranclated - look at opcode in debugger or disams it. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 17:10:00 by The Svin
I understand. I was'nt aware of this behavior in the MoveWindow API. On my system it crashes if I do what you say - which would seem to indicate that this function IS sensitive to the hiword. Have you actually tried to resize a control using your method for retrieving width/height from lparam? I know typicaly people use movzx to convert the words to dwords. gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 18:14:00 by gfalen
NT and Win2k are supposed to be sensitive to the 16 high bits, because they use 32-bit coordinates. Also Win2k is supposed to have a multi-monitor capability which requires a large coordinate space. (An image can be dragged from one monitor into another.) This message was edited by tank, on 4/2/2001 6:33:50 PM This message was edited by tank, on 4/2/2001 7:14:37 PM
Posted on 2001-04-02 18:32:00 by tank
Hey Tank. Did you get the jist of what I was saying? All this speculation aside, what I was really trying to convey was this method of promoting a byte or word to a dword by a "double cast". dword ptr The inner cast FORCES a word access. The outer cast dword ptr then causes Masm to promote/convert it to dword. I think this is really neat. I just stumbled on this a few weeks ago. I've never seen it documented or even mentioned anywhere. gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 18:47:00 by gfalen
How can MASM force word access? Push just fill memory of the stack that's all. to tank: Well, I was a little bit alarm when saw Steve's code. But it works on both NT2000 and NT4. Anyway I it weren't - Steve would have recieved a lot of bag reports, but MASM32 with comctrls.exe has been distrebuted for long and nobody's reported bug yet. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 19:41:00 by The Svin
to gfalen This particular thread is discusing opt. of one prog. It is in masm32 example1. Of course I tested all code on both OS (NT4 and 98) In original and optimized proc in both cases we sent garbige in high words. I had not known it myself before analyze Steve's code. But it works! The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 19:46:00 by The Svin
to Svin re: How can MASM force word access? Simple. LPARAM is a dword, If you push it, masm will push 4 bytes. The overides this and forces a word access. This was the whole point of my post. How to coerce a word(or byte) to a dword w/o using movzx/movsx! gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 20:48:00 by gfalen

;Write a program:
.model flat,stdcall
option casemap:none
include C:\masm32\include\windows.inc
include C:\masm32\include\user32.inc
include C:\masm32\include\kernel32.inc
includelib kernel32.lib
includelib user32.lib
WndProc proto :DWORD,:DWORD,:DWORD,:DWORD

.code
start:
d equ    
w equ 

WndProc proc hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam
invoke MoveWindow,0,0,0,d,   d, TRUE
invoke MoveWindow,0,0,0,lParam,lParam+2,TRUE
invoke MoveWindow,0,0,0,[20],[22],TRUE
 ret
WndProc endp

end start
;Compile and disassemble it (don't run though :)
LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
.00401010: 55                              push      ebp
.00401011: 8BEC                         mov       ebp,esp
.00401013: 6A01                          push      001
.00401015: FF7516                      push      d,[00016]
.00401018: FF7514                      push      d,[00014]
.0040101B: 6A00                         push      000
.0040101D: 6A00                         push      000
.0040101F: 6A00                         push      000
.00401021: E82A000000             call     .000401050   -------- (1)
.00401026: 6A01                         push      001
.00401028: FF7516                     push      d,[00016]
.0040102B: FF7514                     push      d,[00014]
.0040102E: 6A00                         push      000
.00401030: 6A00                         push      000
.00401032: 6A00                         push      000
.00401034: E817000000             call     .000401050   -------- (2)
.00401039: 6A01                         push      001
.0040103B: FF7516                     push      d,[00016]
.0040103E: FF7514                     push      d,[00014]
.00401041: 6A00                         push      000
.00401043: 6A00                         push      000
.00401045: 6A00                         push      000
.00401047: E804000000             call     .000401050   -------- (3)

CAN YOU SEE ANY DIFFERENCE ?!
I don't ........ The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-02 21:15:00 by The Svin
Guys, The original example was written about 2 years ago and it was a standard trick to save a few instructions by pushing the address of the forst word value as one DWORD parameter followed by the second as a DWORD parameter. What you get pushed on the stack is real easy to find out, just run it through a decompiler. The risk with the technique that I used 2 years ago is that a later version OS may not be tolerant of the highword that will produce a different DWORD value. Pulling the value directly off the stack as a WORD and converting it to a DWORD with MOVZX is a viable and safe technique that does not suffer much code for doing it. As far as the idea of double type casting, what you see when you decompile it is what you get, there is nothing magic about an address on the stack, push a DWORD from that address and you get the 4 bytes at that address. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-02 21:45:00 by hutch--
Ok. This is hard to refute. I just tried it here... MoveWindow does behave as you said! I guess it's this behavior that caused me to misinterpret what was really happening. One thing I still don't understand though. I can do this: .data buf db 20 dup(?) b1 db 1 w1 dw 2 d1 dd 4 .code invoke dw2a, b1, addr buf ; or invoke dw2a, w1, addr buf ; or invoke dw2a, d1, addr buf ...they all work! But the proto for dw2a has a dword as the 1'st arg. So why does'nt masm flag this as an error? Puzzling behavior... gfalen
Posted on 2001-04-02 22:03:00 by gfalen
Puzzling behavior :) It's puzzling only if you don't know opcode or don't use debugger and disassembler. You must get debbuger and disassm and attatch to you asm shell. Steve's editor already has option "disassmble", all you need is attach debugger to his shell. It's possible 'cause his editor is highly configurable. You don't need to run program if there is something puzzling. All you need to look in opcodes in mnemonics in debugger or disasmed code. MASM doesn't do anything with data in stack ( I can't imagine how can it be done for all the future situation even if it was discribed in SFiction). All MASM does is writing opcodes. What does it mean push d,[22]? For example ebp = 1000 esp = 1100 It commands the processor 1. Cuclulate address of data by adding ebp and 22. Processor gets value 1022 2. Get data (dword - 4 bytes) from address 1022 3. Write the data to address 1100. 4. Add to esp 4. Now in address 1100 we have for bytes taken from address 1022. They occupide adresses 1100,1101,1102,1103 And now esp has value 1104. Now about this "black magic double casting". As both of you said is that MASM forced access to word and then convert it double word, zeroing that way first dword. Or may be even it commands to MoveWindow how to treat the word pushed? Exuse me but it's absolute nonsence. Masm just push dword that's all. To do the job you thought masm is doing, it needs to generate two commands. pushw [20] pushw 0 pushw [22] pushw 0 Then is the stack you would have two dwords with zeroed high words. But masm doesn't do it. It just pushes dwords looking at your d w statement. It's actually mean push dword ptr data wich started from word ptr In other word with data in ebp+20 it means: push dword ptr data wich has the same address as ebp+20 in other word push dword ptr ebp+20 :) So it produce exactly the same code. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-03 06:33:00 by The Svin