In Visual C++ I can create a IDL file to define COM components. MIDL uses this and creates the TLB file used to then generate the INC file (with TLB2INC). Is there a tool to compile/convert the IDL file to a TLB file? Thanks, Devin
Posted on 2001-04-02 14:12:00 by Devin
The only thing I know that can compile IDL files is MIDL.exe. It's part of MSVC, so if you have that, you have the IDL compiler. I didn't find anything in MSDN downloads matching MIDL.EXE, but the "ActiveX SDK Core Components" download looks promising. ---------------------------- "What are you gonna do? Release the dogs?! Or the bees?! Or dogs with bees in their mouth so that when they bark they shoot bees at you?" This message was edited by Ernie, on 4/2/2001 7:24:11 PM
Posted on 2001-04-02 19:18:00 by Ernie
IDL was defined by Object Management Group, might want to see what's there. I think the MS version is different, though.
Posted on 2001-04-03 21:05:00 by bitRAKE
Thanks Ernie and bitRake. While I did not find too much help on freeware compilers for IDL I did find some on an ODL compiler in the ActiveX SDK. I also checked out the OMG IDL standard but I don't think it will help me out unless I want to design my own IDL compiler (I don't). I also saw, on the OMG page, a lot of information on CORBA. From what I know CORBA competes with COM. Does anyone know the extent at which CORBA is supported on Windows based platforms. I hear that it has good support with both KDE and GNOME window systems running under Linux. Thanks, Devin. P.S. I know this is off-topic. Sorry.
Posted on 2001-04-04 12:58:00 by Devin
CORBA has little, if not, none, support from Microsoft. It is heavily supported in Borland Enterprise products for distribution and message queueing. It is heavily used also in Java. COM is more prevailant (perceptively) due to the fact that it's built-in to Visual Basic, Office, and the VC++ compiler has good support for it by means of the imports directive. There are ample samples for COM and DCOM, COM+. MS would have it that way. However, I think CORBA has it's weight, as well. You just don't hear any PR coming from MS on it. It competes directly against their DCOM. Keep in mind, it's for Distributed computing primarily. In that sense, all of the Borland and IBM Enterprise products strongly rely on CORBA. As for examples on it, I don't know. Achieving it in Assembly, I don't know. Sun Microsystems also relies quite heavily on CORBA for their distributed framework also. To that end, I also think, but I'm not sure, that you have to purchase some libraries to use it. I don't know if it's open or not, I do know that it's tough to find it freely available in a raw for for Windows. Everywhere I looked for getting CORBA support outside of expensive Enterprise-class products cost just as much money as the expensive Enterprise-class product I wanted to avoid Hope this helps, _Shawn PS: These are just my observations.
Posted on 2001-04-04 13:10:00 by _Shawn
I looked around on the OMG site a bit too. It was a bad suggestion, I think. :P
Posted on 2001-04-04 23:34:00 by bitRAKE
I was surfing as I often do, and came across this DROPS IDL Compiler. Check out the link on the bottom of the page for: Flick: The Flexible IDL Compiler Kit. Hope this is helpful. :)
Posted on 2001-04-05 18:46:00 by bitRAKE