mov Rct.bottom,edx
mov Rct.left,0
pop Rct.right	;previous Rct.right of hWin
pop Rct.top              ;former tbH

invoke DrawEdge,hDC,ADDR Rct,EDGE_SUNKEN,BF_RECT

ret
Paint_Proc endp

Posted on 2001-04-02 18:57:00 by The Svin
Svin, Have you considered making the RECT structure a global? If you only called GetWindowRect etc when a WM_SIZE message was received, then did the calculations it would be alot quicker, as you'd simply call

invoke DrawEdge,hDC,ADDR Rct,EDGE_SUNKEN,BF_RECT
in WM_PAINT (or PaintProc) Umbongo This message was edited by umbongo, on 4/3/2001 8:17:10 AM
Posted on 2001-04-03 07:58:00 by umbongo
Good point. It the example I just wanted to show that there can be needless varaible transitions. It often happends in some asm procs. Since for programmers some time is hard to keep track of values in stack and registers. As for your idea it worth to think about. Thanks for reply. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-03 09:12:00 by The Svin
Well, I didn't get it how can I easily do it WM_SIZE. Can you write the code to give us an example? The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-03 10:07:00 by The Svin
Svin, It's a bit scrappy, but it does show the idea, the full source is at the end of the message. I created a copy of the variables, but prefixed them with size_ so we can tell where they are. I then put

invoke Size_proc,hWin
as the first bit of the WM_SIZE message, this calulates the size of the rectangle, and stores it in size_Rct Now, all Paint_proc has to do, is draw the rectangle, WM_SIZE always comes before a paint, so it works fine. If the window hasn't changed, then you will just get a WM_PAINT, and the size_Rct is correct already. When the window is created you get a WM_SIZE so that covers the first call also. Umbongo

.model flat,stdcall
option casemap:none
include \masm32\include\windows.inc
include \masm32\include\user32.inc
include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc
include \masm32\include\comctl32.inc
includelib kernel32.lib
includelib user32.lib
includelib comctl32.lib
;##############################
;Local macros
szText MACRO Name, Text:VARARG
 LOCAL lbl
  jmp lbl
    Name db Text,0
  lbl:
ENDM
m2m MACRO M1, M2
 push M2
 pop   M1
ENDM

return MACRO arg
 mov eax,arg
 ret
ENDM
;================
;Local prototypes
;================

WinMain PROTO
WndProc PROTO :DWORD,:DWORD,:DWORD,:DWORD
TopXY     PROTO :DWORD,:DWORD
Paint_Proc PROTO :DWORD,:DWORD
Size_Proc PROTO :DWORD

.data

;
; the globals to store the data in, you only really
; need size_Rct - the others could be local to Size_proc

size_caW dd 0
size_caH dd 0
size_tbH dd 0
size_sbH dd 0
size_Rct RECT 

TheText db "Please Confirm Exit",0
szDisplayName db "Comctl32 Demo",0
hInstance              equ 400000h
ClassName        db 1,0

tbSelect db "You have selected",0
TheMsg db "Assembler,Pure and Simple",0

tb50 db "New File",0
tb51 db "Open File",0
tb52 db "Save File",0
tb53 db "Cut",0
tb54 db "Copy",0
tb55 db "Paste",0
tb56 db "Undo",0
tb57 db "Search",0
tb58 db "Replace",0
tb59 db "Print",0

ALIGN 4
msgtbl dd offset tb50
            dd offset tb51
            dd offset tb52
            dd offset tb53
            dd offset tb54
            dd offset tb55
            dd offset tb56
            dd offset tb57
            dd offset tb58
            dd offset tb59

wc WNDCLASSEX 
tbb  TBBUTTON <0,0,TBSTATE_ENABLED,TBSTYLE_SEP,0,0>

; mov tbb.iBitmap,0
; mov tbb.idCommand,0
; mov tbb.fsState, TBSTATE_ENABLED
; mov tbb.fsStyle, TBSTYLE_SEP
; mov tbb.dwData,0
; mov tbb.iString,0

.data?

hWnd               dd ?
hStatus              dd ?
hToolBar            dd ?
msg   MSG<>
.code
start:

invoke WinMain

invoke ExitProcess,eax

;#################################################################

WinMain proc

;------------------------------------------------------
;Put LOCALs on stack
;------------------------------------------------------

Wwd equ 500
Wht  equ 350

invoke InitCommonControls
xor ebx,ebx
;================================
;Fill WNDCLASSEX structure with required variables
;==========================================

invoke LoadIcon,hInstance,500 ;icon ID
   mov wc.hIcon,eax
   mov wc.hIconSm,eax
   invoke LoadCursor,ebx,IDC_ARROW
   mov wc.hCursor,eax

;============================
;Center window at following size
;============================

invoke GetSystemMetrics,SM_CXSCREEN

shr eax,1
   sub eax,Wwd/2 
   mov esi,eax    ;esi == Wtx

invoke GetSystemMetrics,SM_CYSCREEN

shr eax,1
   sub eax,Wht/2
   mov edi,eax
   invoke RegisterClassEx,ADDR wc

;esi = Wtx edi = Wty

invoke CreateWindowEx,WS_EX_LEFT,
      eax,
      offset szDisplayName,
      WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW or WS_VISIBLE,
      esi,edi,Wwd,Wht,
      ebx,ebx,hInstance,ebx
   mov hWnd,eax

;==============================
;Loop until PostQuitMessage is sent
;==============================

StartLoop:
Posted on 2001-04-03 10:37:00 by umbongo
Well, I got you wrong first time. I can say what I thought you'd meant: - We can use one global Rct in .data? section (you put it in .data section and increased size without any needs) for all ocasions so we can leave out Rct local from Paint_Proc. It's not big deal - just one clock and 4 bytes but at least some gain of qaulity. - But the major oppotunity I saw in it - to use some values we already gets while in WM_SIZE handler - we move status and get something in lParam we can use. But after 5 minutes try I wasn't able to get it and thought you had already algo in your mind so I asked for it. For now I can not see any point to it that way, we just got additional proc and comulative speed is down. WM_PAINT handler is faster but WM_SIZE is slower and sum of old WM_PAINT and WM_SIZE is faster than in your version. As the result after resizing window will be painted slower and it doesn't matter were it would slowed in WM_SIZE handler or WM_PAINT - for the use it'll be the same. Anyway - don't pay too much attention to my tone :) While doing buisness I ruthless to myself and anybody. So if you have some idea and code - don't hesitate to send. I'll be waiting. Now I'm going to kill this task (calculation for edge using some gotten in WM_SIZE values)- if you'll do it faster - send solution. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-03 16:39:00 by The Svin

.data?
Rct RECT <>
.code
.ELSEIF eax == WM_SIZE

invoke GetWindowRect,hToolBar,ADDR Rct
	mov eax,Rct.bottom 
	sub eax,Rct.top        
	push eax		;former tbH

invoke GetClientRect,hWin,ADDR Rct

push Rct.right
	push Rct.bottom

invoke GetWindowRect,hStatus,ADDR Rct

mov eax,Rct.bottom
	pop edx		;previous Rct.bottom of hWin
	sub eax,Rct.top
	sub edx,eax

mov Rct.bottom,edx
	mov Rct.left,0
	pop Rct.right	;previous Rct.right of hWin
	pop Rct.top              ;former tbH

mov edx,lParam	;edx= client area width
        mov ecx,edx
        shr  ecx,16
        and edx,0FFFFFh
        sub ecx, eax	

invoke MoveWindow,hStatus,0,ecx,edx,ecx,TRUE
invoke SendMessage,hToolBar,TB_AUTOSIZE,0,0             
.ELSEIF eax == WM_PAINT

invoke BeginPaint,hWin,ADDR Ps
 invoke DrawEdge,eax,ADDR Rct,EDGE_SUNKEN,BF_RECT
 invoke EndPaint,hWin,ADDR Ps
Posted on 2001-04-03 19:58:00 by The Svin
For now I can not see any point to it that way, we just got additional proc and comulative speed is down. WM_PAINT handler is faster but WM_SIZE is slower and sum of old WM_PAINT and WM_SIZE is faster than in your version. As the result after resizing window will be painted slower and it doesn't matter were it would slowed in WM_SIZE handler or WM_PAINT - for the use it'll be the same.
This type of code will not be faster than WM_SIZE and WM_PAINT together, but put a counter in your program for the number of WM_SIZE messages verses the number of WM_PAINT messages, then use it as you would a normal program. You'll find that WM_PAINT is called alot more than WM_SIZE and that is where you will get the benefit. Combined, yes they will be slower, but so what? No-one spends their time continually re-sizing a window. I was showing that you don't need to get the size of all your windows, client areas and do lots of calulations in WM_PAINT. Do it in WM_SIZE and painting can be alot smoother and simpler. In this application you're talking about a window with a toolbar and a message box, yet you start talking about saving one clock cycle and 4 bytes, it's not the point is it? On my Ghz PIII I'm not going to notice 1 clock, hell on a 486 I'm not going to notice 1 clock. I will notice the benefit I get from using this technique in a large application which does lots of calculations which it need not do. This kind of optimisation helps in large applications, rather than in a simple example, and most people are writing real apps not examples, so it should be of benefit to them.
If you'll do it faster - send solution.
I could, but you're interested in cycle counting and I'm more interesting in the big savings you get from a different perspective, or an alternative way of doing things. Have fun :) Umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-04 07:00:00 by umbongo
That is a great piece of knowledge umbongo. I'll test it out on Win2K and commit it to memmory if that is the case - which I don't see how it couldn't be. The longer the application runs the more cycles you save. :)
Posted on 2001-04-04 07:26:00 by bitRAKE
umbongo: Man, had You carefully looked in my final version, you wouldn't have needed to start this ME VS YOU talk. Come on, umbongo, do we need all this "I could, but you're ..." statements? I final version I combined together all good things from yours and my ideas. I put calculations on WM_SIZE handler, but in addition leave out some needless procs, and reused results of calculations (for resizing status) wich is already gotten in filling Rct section. As the result. 1. It is all done in WM_SIZE section as you preposed. 2. Culculations themselve much faster 3. Comultive size of code shorter. If you care you can observe all changes in D.Knuth style (he's my favorite algorithmist) step be step in scenarious. You'll how much improvements was done in size and speed. I talk code better than English, please, excuse if I don't comment size reduction and clock it. For the rest I can only say: 1. I escep. stress Asm level optimization issues just 'cause it issue of "Basics of Asm32..." thread. And find it nassesery to clock it and culculate size in such a topics to prevent speculations. 2. Working on big apps in Asm is everyday buisness for me, and most of tecs a present here based on this expirience, but I'm going to argue with your satements for simple reasons. - While you find my aproach oposite to yours - I don't. The only difference in strategy my be just I pay more attention to real final realization of this aproaches. You think it's not of greate importance? Then I wouldn't force you to change you opinion :) - Practical words was said about WM_PAINT and WM_SIZE friquencies, and I already accepted it as you can see in the final version. The rest of words are just emotions leading to nowhere. NoWhere is where I'm not going to go :) The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-04 10:30:00 by The Svin
Come on, umbongo, do we need all this "I could, but you're ..." statements?
Well I can see now how that could be mis-interpreted as a dig, sorry if it annoyed you, I didn't mean to. I wasn't attacking you personally, I was trying to say we were using different approaches to optimisation. I guess I should have a better command of my own language! :) Umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-04 11:08:00 by umbongo