Hello all, like many of you im sure, i have a growing collection of has-bin CPU's that are shelved and dont seem to have much use. So i decided to take my old P133 and put it to good use, as a round about MP3 stereo unit. My idea was to gut the cpu and place it in an stero-type box, as well write explicit software to hook into winamp and act on external hardware (No Monitor, Keyboard, possibly a mouse( most likely not ). As well, I plan to use a Network card to control playlists in a specific directory. I will need to write some software (in ASM) to use the playlists found in the shared directory and instruct win-amp accordingly. I have drawn a block diagram of my initial brain-storming: HERE WinAmp will know no different... I will need to develop a VxD for hardware IO, with the WRAPPER software that will manage winamp. The OS will be stripped bare-bones other than needed drivers etc. Initially, i hope the project will be basic IO control. But as sytems become prooven, i hope to implement more controled features, like having an optional MS AGENT voice read the song/playlist to you as you select thru the database of mp3's.., or further, have the MP3 CPU voice activated using speach recognition (this would have to use the remote button to tell it when to 'listen' or else this will become outa control :) ) So this is my basic survey of my idea.. no real work has been done other that getting a CPU network ready with winamp. I personally can design schematics for all the needed hardware. As well, i got all the MS AGENT com's pretty well understood. I hope to make this an open source project, and eventually document it for others. However, I feel im 'OK' with win32 asm, but im far from the best which is why im writing this. Rather than ask questions all summer, as i hack out hooking into winamp and developing a suitable VxD, i was wondering if i have peaked anyones interest into getting involved, and slowly work on this over the next couple months?? As well, these ideas are my initial brainstorm, if anyone has a better suggestion or control architecture, lemme know! (( I realize there are MP3 chips out there, but i would like to minimize cost, and use old hardware that is not being used)) ( If you dont want to publicly reply, EMAIL me at jaymeson@hotmail.com ) Anywho, lemme know what you think.. NaN
Posted on 2001-04-09 02:05:00 by NaN
I just discovered that the WINAMP SDK has provided ~90% of what i will need to hook into it properly. So the work involved seems thinning to mostly VxD design issues.. However, i would still like to work on this as a team, to bounce ideas off of etc. NaN
Posted on 2001-04-09 02:35:00 by NaN
Hi, I donīt know if this sounds crazy but, I thought if we could create a MP3 player with a little OS embedded that works alone in a i486. No windows, no winamp, itīs like the Rio of Diamond, the Nomad of Creative but with a x86 processor (and a bigger size, hehe). Just idea...
Posted on 2001-04-09 06:16:00 by wolfao
I like the idea, But it think it will require more work than just working out a managing program and a VxD. Building a DOS bases network will be beyond my abilities, also, building an MP3 interpereter in dos can be done, but no promises of how well the sound quality will be. Furthermore, DOS soundcard drivers will be a pain in the Arse... This is why i think using a bare bones OS would be better, i would rather build hardware work-arounds for keyboard inputs etc. that might creep up than hack out all this software. (Unless i have miss-understood your idea??) BTW: The above link doesnt like NetScape (Not sure why.. sorry) NaN
Posted on 2001-04-09 14:07:00 by NaN
That sounds interesting, and i know im not the most capable asm programmer around her but if you dont mind someone who is still learning about stuff like VxD then i'd be willing to give it a shot. drop me some mail if ya want some help
Posted on 2001-04-09 22:52:00 by Rage9
You could always build your own MP3 decoder.... Then rather than use some VxD to control it, you add network access to it, and operate the thing via some client. Mirno
Posted on 2001-04-10 05:56:00 by Mirno
By anyway... I would like to work in this project.
Posted on 2001-04-10 06:25:00 by wolfao
Wolfao, Rage9, I would be glad to take on the help :) But i must warn that it will be a slow start, at least on my behalf. Im presently going thru University Exams at the moment, and kinda got to prioritize, so in the short term im more or less bainstroming on the best solution... Mirno, the network idea will work, but it negates it use as a stereo component. I dont want to go to another room to change the song. I dont mind to do this when uploading a new batch of songs, but not for standard operation. This is why i need a hardware front end, and a VxD interperter... NaN This message was edited by NaN, on 4/10/2001 7:59:22 PM
Posted on 2001-04-10 19:57:00 by NaN
I agree with a slow start, I have a lot of work to do at job :( We could create a site to put the project, with diagrams, coders (ASMers) e-mails, etc.
Posted on 2001-04-11 06:22:00 by wolfao
i could help with the web site part. of course i could be of some help with the coding but you have to wait for, say, 2 years for me to be able ;)
Posted on 2001-04-11 06:30:00 by pixelwise
good idea wolfao -brad
Posted on 2001-04-11 11:32:00 by Rage9
Sounds great to me... Currious tho, do you guys have extra CPU's as well to "butcher" or you all just eager to code :P NaN
Posted on 2001-04-11 13:25:00 by NaN
One day I'll make an OS with a MP3 player to use in my old 386-8MbRAM-CGA-mono...:rolleyes: Now, I like just to work with the code and run it in my PIII-500 Maybe July I'll try to make a 'MP3(big)box' to put in my car, :)
Posted on 2001-04-11 17:48:00 by wolfao
ooh, I forgot... I'm have: 1x 486-DX4-100; 1x P120; 1x P133; 1x PII300; and 1x PIII500. I'll start to using the first, the second, etc... :)
Posted on 2001-04-11 17:52:00 by wolfao
I have a pentium 75mhz, totaly old school, but it runs win 95!! And i have another one, it dont work no more, its like 15 years old, i would have to find some dos boot disks, cuz it died actually be4 y2k bug. -brad
Posted on 2001-04-12 00:34:00 by Rage9