I'm trying to convert the direct3d tutorials in the visual c directx SDK to asm files. I have working include files etc for directx 8, but I can't get the following code working:

.data?
g_pD3D      dd                       ?
d3ddm       D3DDISPLAYMODE          
d3dpp       D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS   
g_pd3dDevice dd                      ?

.code
InitD3D proc    hWnd:DWORD
    invoke      Direct3DCreate8, D3D_SDK_VERSION
    mov         g_pD3D, eax
    coinvoke    g_pD3D, Direct3D8, GetAdapterDisplayMode, D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, ADDR d3ddm
    mov         d3dpp.Windowed, TRUE
    mov         d3dpp.SwapEffect, D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD
    mov         eax, d3ddm.format
    mov         d3dpp.BackBufferFormat, eax
    coinvoke    g_pD3D, Direct3D8, CreateDevice, D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,\
                    hWnd, D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, offset d3dpp, offset g_pd3dDevice
    .IF         eax!=D3D_OK
        int 3
    .ENDIF                  
ret
InitD3D endp 
All of the above code runs fine, the return values are correct and the directx interface works correctly, but the last coinvoke, with CreateDevice, always returns D3DERR_DRIVERINVALIDCALL. In the documentation only D3DERR_INVALIDCALL is mentioned (invalid parameter), but I can find NOTHING about D3DERR_DRIVERINVALIDCALL. The example in the tutorial works fine in visual C, and I compared the complete call to the interface in C and in asm, they are the same. What's the problem? Thomas
Posted on 2001-04-09 15:34:00 by Thomas
I figured out the problem. The structure definitions were wrong. Some structures had SDWORD members that were defined as SWORD types. It's possibly a bug in Amokila's tlb2inc tool. I have mailed him about the problem already. Thomas
Posted on 2001-04-09 16:00:00 by Thomas
I'm having the same problem - What structures did you have to change? (and what members) Thanks, Ryan Fairfax
Posted on 2001-04-10 00:51:00 by thefaxman
Both D3DDISPLAYMODE and D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS have wrong member types. all the SWORDs should be SDWORDs. But I think it's a bug in amokila's utility, so changing only that structures won't help for further errors. Thomas
Posted on 2001-04-10 01:33:00 by Thomas
Arg... the problem is that in idl uint variables and int variables have the same type : int !!! The only thing i can do is a dirty fix: add an option to treat int as SDWORDs. It should work knowing that for example for the dx8vb.dll there are are only UINTs not INTs... Any suggestions ?
Posted on 2001-04-10 13:55:00 by Amokila
You can get version 1.2.3 of Tlb2Inc with an extra option to treat INTs as SDWORDS here This message was edited by Amokila, on 4/11/2001 2:10:29 PM
Posted on 2001-04-11 14:09:00 by Amokila