I Don't think assembler is hard, it's just a different way of thinking, I've been writing a Windows NT device driver for the last 6 weeks, all in assembler. The new task I have been given is in C++, and I have taken about a week to get out of the 'so few registers to juggle' and 'oh, I'll just push that on the stack for a sec' mindset. It's difficult to move from one to the other quickly, especially after long periods submerged in one. there's nothing hard about C++ or assembler, it's just getting into the right way of thinking for the particular language. umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-18 07:07:00 by umbongo
Agreed, but there is a certain amount to treasure from the experience Wolfao was getting at. I *did* take just that college course and it sent me light-years in directions i never concieved of. I do recomend it if your that interested, but I also agree its not a necessity. BTW: Im currious about your NT driver, you doing it in a WDM model i assume right? Is it difficult vs. the VxD?? Do you have any web links that can give good detail of thier structure? NaN
Posted on 2001-04-18 11:43:00 by NaN
Phrekie is darn right. Some people were told one too many times that they and their questions are lame. Btw, that dude in the avatar is phreaky. :D If you want to see phreaky, check out the picture I use on my yahoo (no, i'm not going to type that stupid exclamation point after yahoo) profile.:D Hey, I got it! Why don't we make a "Stupid Questions" section?? :D:P
Posted on 2001-04-18 19:02:00 by Hel
NaN, I can't compare VxD to WDM as I've never used VxD's, my job is in mission critical systems. So using 95/98 is not an option because they are neither secure nor stable. However, after reading the MS documentation, I had a headache, so I looked on the web and the following URL is really good for information on how drivers are put together. To be honest it's not that difficult, but what you do need is a 'checked' and 'free' build of NT, and the DDK kernel debugger, a serial cable and alot of patience. Without those you're going to be staring at an awful lot of blue screens. PHD Drivers Site umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-19 04:36:00 by umbongo
Hi everybody, I'm sorry for my bad English (I'm jocking. In fact, I'm not sorry, my bad English is very good (I'm still jocking)) Well, I have not read everything here (it's too long, i'm tired...). I wanted to answer to Ernie about French (2nd message): French uses 'everything'. (look a few words above). I'm happy to speak English here because I lear more & more. I learnt English for 5 or 6 (or 7) years. I'm also happy to see that American people have an esteem towards French 'peepole' (oh! a mistake). I'm born in France and I still live in France since 17 years (I'm 17). Well, I must go away. I have to work now... I say 'Hi' to everybody here and Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR. PS:there are some jocking expression, just laugh... THANX
Posted on 2001-04-19 10:41:00 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Rafe, N I C E ... :D Umbongo, two more qustions: 1) Could you expalian a bit more on the NT, and serial cable bit? You lost me there.. " 'checked' and 'free' build of NT" 2) Did you buy the book from the site you suggested? Its ironic, because i actually breezed though that book about a year ago, wanteded it, but couldnt afford it. Then when i had the money i couldnt find the book again (So thanx at the very least for pointing me to the author). (This book) Anywho, thanx again. NaN
Posted on 2001-04-19 12:57:00 by NaN
Nan, There are two builds of NT when it's released, the release version(free) and the checked(debug), it's another MS thing, not calling them by names we all understand. When you use the checked build, you can debug your program with another machine running hyperterminal connected to the checked build machine using a serial cable. I haven't bought the books, mainly because I used to be a systems programmer on VAX/VMS systems, and the same guys who wrote that wrote NT. So I know about 99.9% of NT already, anything I don't know about NT, I can normally figure out in a few minutes anyway. I have found most books to be 1% information 99% waffle, reading a good bit of source code is far more vaulable. MS have some good articles at their MSDN site too. umbongo p.s. Have you noticed the acronym NT in Windows 2000? when it starts it says "Built On Windows NT Technology". NT stands for "New Technology" , so it really reads "Built on Windows New Technology Technology"... a bit like people saying "PIN Number"...
Posted on 2001-04-20 07:15:00 by umbongo
umbongo, Ah, now I know who is responsible for the infinitely nested structures typed with the cap lock on. It is an interesting approach that appears to be based on "other" hardware. I guess what irked me the most was the need to repeatedly climb through header files looking for the next layer of nested structures to see what the next layer of nested structures would look like. :) Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-20 19:11:00 by hutch--