Hi there fellas.. I've been trying to get the sdk from M$'s site for days and i just can't get a full download. I don't know why the SDK is not availble as a single file as the DDK and other packages are.. But mainly this is the reason why i just can't get the whole download. My inet connection goes up and down. If you happen to have the SDK and can make it available for me, i'll be very happy :) Thanks in advance Latigo
Posted on 2001-04-19 09:26:00 by latigo
Platform SDK is a free download, a very large one at that. I have DSL and it takes some time to download. I prefer the download over the CD-based because it's easier to update. I can't update a CD-based PSDK install with the online version, they create two different installs. That I'm aware of, that's the only way MS makes it available for free. Otherwise, it ships with MSDN set, which I pay $2,600 a year for. The professional subscription is closer to $1,500 a year (I think) and the library subscription which is $199 a year also has it. The problem, is that if you don't get it online, it's not free. It's commercial software otherwise. Therefore, one can't simply "provide" it to you legally. If you are having problems downloading with a modem (I once did) try this, it *may* work. Download in smaller fragments. I know it's annoying, but if you go for a 150 MB chunk of functionality at once, you'll have problems. If you take option by option or smaller chunks of options, then you might do okay. Otherwise, if you at least order the Library Subscription, they'll send you CD's for the next year with all the Platform SDK updates. _Shawn
Posted on 2001-04-19 11:36:00 by _Shawn
I dont know if your using a download accelator, but i found this one to be quite good.. Download Accelerator It threads up to 8 simutaneous connections of your download and pulls down in parallel, as well it checks for mirror sites. I get great performance out of it, I downloaded the MS AGENT SDK (~150Mb) in under 10 min on a cable modem. NaN
Posted on 2001-04-19 13:28:00 by NaN
When I was on a modem, I downloaded the help files individually by FTP. There are some other files availible separately as well, or you can download the CAB files - which range in size from 1KB to ~50MB, and then install it locally! psdk-x86.msi is for the local install, psdk-x86.exe is for the web install (you could even extract this file and set the source site in WebSetup.ini). Almost any FTP program will let you resume if the site supports it. Here is the FTP link: SDK FTP Link I really feel for you - I know all of this because I struggled to get accurate docs to program by, too. It's really required to learn much of Windows, IMHO. _Shawn, is there anything in MSDN that isn't in the SDK, DDK - that an ASM programmer could use? This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 4/20/2001 11:04:09 PM
Posted on 2001-04-20 23:01:00 by bitRAKE
I don't know about the need for paying a couple of grand a year for access to the SDK, I bought the Whistler edition direct from Microsoft for $15.00 US and it arrived on my doorstep a few weeks later here in Australia. Just have a look around the MSDN website for PLATFORMSDK and you should find the offer. For what its worth, there is nothing exciting in the current SDK. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-20 23:20:00 by hutch--
BitRake, I just received the April 2001 MSDN update shipment including the library (which is the SDK as well). As far as I can tell, the MSDN (Universal Subscription) contains all versions of Windows (including legacy DOS and Win 3.11), Current Betas, Received BackOffice 2000 Today (not beta), Office and Office Developer, SQL Server 7/2000, Visio, Site Commerce and all Develeopment Tools, including CE and eMbedded Devs, DirectX and Project, MASM 6.11, all SP's, ... wel, pretty much everything they've every created and released until this very day from their first day. The only true developer documentation is all in the Library set. The PSDK is only a 200MB portion of a 2 GB volume of information. All the Knowledgebase is also on the CD. However, what's on the CD is exactly what's on the msdn library homepage. Just an offline version of it. There are about 130 CD's total in the MSDN set and you get updated CD's every month. If you can spare $199 for the library subscription, you can bet your ass it'll be worth it. If you're a student (or know one) the library will be $99 or the Universal will be $700 instead of $2,600. You can't, however, use a educational license for commercial or non-profit use (by means of the EULA). However, it's not a crippled software. It's exactly the same MSDN without the price. It also cost $1,999 to update a MSDN set each year if you're not a student. Hope this helps, SHawn
Posted on 2001-04-21 00:41:00 by _Shawn