OK here's the deal: I don't like these kind of things. They're impolite IMO. Especially if they're your first (and probably only) post. :mad: furthermore they tend to swamp boards if placed everywhere by marketing induh-viduals. (even when you have a jobforum). I personally have seen too many good forums that got cluttered with this rubbish and it all started with 1 message. So I'm asking you all what should I do with this? Ban it or allow it? This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 4/20/2001 3:03:09 AM
Posted on 2001-04-20 02:25:00 by Hiroshimator
Ban it immediately.
Posted on 2001-04-20 02:52:00 by jop
Since I don't think any of those boxes run Windows, or have an x86 CPU for that matter, it really doesn't apply to this forum. But he sure did come to the right place looking for "skillful programmers" though. :) If someone were looking for a Win programmer, I'ld say let it stand, especially with the economy the way it is today. If we can help one of our members make some money for doing something that they enjoy, so much the better! I don't think this sort of post, one here and there, is a big deal. But if it does get out of control, either ban it, or set up a "job opportunities" forum. :) As for this guy, or any other off-topic one like him, I think a "subtle reminder" that this is a Windows Assembly forum is enough for now. But again, if it gets out of control, send them on their way.
Posted on 2001-04-20 02:52:00 by S/390
I am of the view that all things are OK in moderation, this instance does not offend me but if it got out of hand, it could be a pain. I would tolerate it at the moment, its not as if its spamming or other such annoying conduct and someone may be interested in the job. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-20 03:19:00 by hutch--
I regard it as spam. If he said "I'm looking for Assembler programmers", then he'd be targeting us, because he wanted someone for a specific job. But this message is just junk mail, heaven knows I get enough of that at my own email address, I don't want it on message boards as well. I vote for banning it and him. If he want's programmers he can go to ants.com or www.sourceforge.net or jobserve, or monster etc etc etc not here umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-20 05:12:00 by umbongo
well this guy didnt really have anywhere to post his question so i think his question is ligit since we are on the subject i think you should start a misc message board where all other question or posts should go or be sent to if need be. well since i really dont want misc questions to clutter my screen when i select ALL >All public forums rolled up in one on popular request< you would then have to implement a way of allowing people the option to show what posts they would like to see from the different message boards and maybe store the settings into the cookie. or ban'em... especially after reading umbongos post. there are many message boards that he could have used to post his message but he chose to make a post here so yes i think we could label his post as spam. smurf This message was edited by smurf, on 4/20/2001 5:19:39 AM This message was edited by smurf, on 4/20/2001 5:20:22 AM
Posted on 2001-04-20 05:15:00 by smurf
since I have the view of an employer too, who is always looking for good assembler programmers, I would agree to smurf and think you should make a special topic for such posts, which is not shown in the "ALL" forum. The other way for getting in contact with the people on the messageboard is to collect all the emails and to send some "round"letters to everybody, which would be a much more ugly thing.
Posted on 2001-04-20 06:11:00 by beaster
since I have the view of an employer too, who is always looking for good assembler programmers, I would agree to smurf and think you should make a special topic for such posts, which is not shown in the "ALL" forum.
I disagree, If we have an 'adverts section' no-one is going to post in there, as none of us will look at it. Better to have a 'people who are available for freelance/permanent work' section, we can put our emails and a short resume in there, then the employers can email them from there, rather than bothering us in here :) umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-20 06:21:00 by umbongo
I don't like Job Postings either, BUT, when you are out of work... SO Create a Job Postings Forum. Leave in All unless it gets out of hand. Must be programing related. Actual employer must post, no agencies. Any Job Posting to the wrong Forum gets deleted immediately. Topic will be ignored by ALL in 20 days, and deleted in 35. :P
Posted on 2001-04-20 07:46:00 by SFinegan
If the message has personality and relevance, it might be worth keeping. However, if it's as off-topic as a PS2 (which no x86 programmer, good or not can program), than... . Again, if it is relevant but a generic non-personal post, . Force them to become a part of the community, not just clutter it up with mass-postings. If he wants to say, "I'm with a game company and we're currently looking for skilled programmers who are interested in PlayStation2 programming when I came across this board and felt that some members maight be interested or we may 'train'..." or whatever, is a lot more personalized than the post I read. Otherwise, ditch it. I like this board because there isn't advertising and crap on it. One message, then two messages, than three messages... before you know it, we'll be requesting a filter feature to filter messages on the board. _Shawn
Posted on 2001-04-20 11:35:00 by _Shawn
I would say that job postings should be done in a seperate forum called somehting like Assembler Jobs and maybe another forum for Resumes for those assembler programmers who are looking for a job. I think this would be extreamly helpful. If it is not about assembler, kill it. simply because there are allready a million job sites on the web. You can preserve the high quality of the Win32 Assembler Messageboard it is just about that and nothing else. It should be included in All since All means All. :P
Posted on 2001-04-20 11:48:00 by rainbird
Gee, even a HINT by someone IMPLYING money in exchange for services rendered, and some people go bonkers. I see that post as a model of a GOOD post. His topic: "Console Game company in CA looking for good programmers" Right away, one knows this is a 'want ad.' Time invested by a board reader: Approx .5 secs. One is then free to follow the link, or ignore it. I vote for letting this man post. He's most polite, and trying to make a win-win situation for someone here. Should the board begin to fill with extraneous spam (WIN $10,000 TODAY! JUST SURF TO IWON.COM) that can be dealt with. And hey, even headhunters have to make a living. :-) ----------------------------------- "Homer Simpson is not the kind of man that apologizes, I'm sorry that's just the way I am."
Posted on 2001-04-20 20:55:00 by Ernie
Actually, I don't think the post this all started with was all that off-topic. ALL microprocessors are programmed in some sort of assembly langauge. Even the instructions for an 1/2 square inch, 8-pin microcontroller resemble Intel instructions very much. However, I think this guy should be wiped from the forum ASAP if it should turn out they program PS2 games in some sort of C++... now THAT would be really funny IMO :D.
Posted on 2001-04-21 01:59:00 by Qweerdy
Actually, I was contacted by this person (their office is very close to where I live) and we talked a little (by email). There is a fair amount of assembly involved (just look at the job description on their website). However, for those who don't know, PS and PS2 games are heavily written in C mostly, some C++ but not as much. However, the Dreamcast and PS2 are heavily dependant on Assembly. When the Playstation was released, they also released a very comprehensive toolkit for developers to have easier time with games development. However, the Playstation2 is incredibly more complicated and the out-of-box support is not nearly as strong as its predecessor. It is a tough platform to learn and much of it has to be hacked in Assembly. I won't go into details, but I will say, if one can control the emotion engine, one can control the world. I do not feel it was offtopic, what I do feel, however, is that if more posts of similar nature take place, they should at least be an active member of our board. If we allow one, then two, then three, or if a rule is abused, then before you know it, we'll be requesting a junk mail filter or we'll learn to identify the spammers and will ignore everything they say. Jobs forum is good, but it shouldn't pull up in the "all" link. While I may apply for that position he advertised, I'm also not really looking for a job and therefore don't care about postings or listings. I'm already quite secure in an R&D position not closely related with games, but closer to Enterprise and Distributed Computing R&D and Component Writing. But one thing that keeps me on this board is that there are no advertisements. _Shawn
Posted on 2001-04-21 13:27:00 by _Shawn