I recently got ADSL and everytime I restart the computer I have to retype username & password to connect to internet - it's not a big deal, it's just that I find it anoying doing that every time. Then I thought that it couldn't be SO hard to create an automatic-login program. But I was wrong. Actually I haven't got a clue how to do it. I was looking at a winsock programming tutorial but that didn't help me much. So I'm wondering if someone can give me a hint? /tcore
Posted on 2001-04-20 16:02:00 by tcore
I just use a standard connection like with a dial-up, type in my username & password and use the name of my ISPs redback server for the connection/phonenumber. This connection holds everything for you then. Works like a charm. :) This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 4/20/2001 4:10:18 PM
Posted on 2001-04-20 16:09:00 by Hiroshimator
When I first got DSL, I was a direct network connection to the phone companies DSL network and there was no login or anything. A fixed IP, but nothing else. I was easily getting more than a T1 pipe and had the best service I've ever experienced from any company. I moved a couple months ago and find that with the new DSL service, supposedly "improved", I now have to login, logout, install special drivers for it, and face drops every now and then where I have to restart to get the connection back because it loses the connection and when I try to logoff, it won't because it can't find the server. Well, the service is crap. It took over a month and a half to finally hook me up (note: month and a half late) and when the software installed, it somehow placed the NT drivers on my 98 which causes problems like you wouldn't believe. No use reinstalling, it'll repeat the same mistake. Yes, it'll automatically logon but if I have it set, it'll lock my computer up before it has a chance to start. I'd say, if you're using PacBell/SBC, don't bother. You're better off just going to another provider or typing in everytime. At least you can pay another $10 month to not be on contract, but what will that get you? No other DSL around here can provide what they do, and they are all crap service.
Posted on 2001-04-20 16:22:00 by _Shawn
Hi, maybe I misunderstood you in some way but from what you wrote I assume that there is already a program you start and where you enter your username and p-word then, am I right? If so, then why not programming a small tool, that you run instead (like a loader for games or for cra**ed programs) which runs the real program afterwards but getting the hook of those two fields where you have to enter your stuff and make it set those strings in there? If I misunderstood you, then please excuse me! Stefan
Posted on 2001-04-20 18:21:00 by Stefan Krause
I'm using a webpage when I login (even though I'm not connected(!)) . I don't know how it works but I think it has something to do with a proxy server (?). The password & username is then sent to the phone company for confirmation (using ordinary POST command) and after that I can use internet as I want. /tcore
Posted on 2001-04-21 02:06:00 by tcore
Look into Iczilions downloader program, it sends a request to a server on the internet, or any PC you enter the IP for. A POST request to a server would look something like:

POST /cgi-bin/logon.dll HTTP1.1
Content-Type: x-form/urlencoded
Content-Length: 30

Username=tcore&password=log+on
Unless the server uses SSL... anybody has some docs on that? NOTE: I'm by no means sure this is a correct header. To get a valid header, do the following: 1. Download cinchy server by s3 from Iczilion's site 2. Put in a MessageBox call that displays the request just received, right after the recv call 3. Assemble the new server, and run it 4. Go to your DSL inlog screen, download it if it isn't already on your harddisk, and change the form action to "http://localhost/" 5. Open the form in Internet Explorer, fill it in, and press the submit button. 6. Write down what the messagebox says. This message was edited by Qweerdy, on 4/21/2001 2:35:36 AM
Posted on 2001-04-21 02:30:00 by Qweerdy
if you already have a connection defined in dial-up networking folder, why don't you use RAS?
Posted on 2001-04-22 05:03:00 by [SaFc0n]
I don't think that it is possible to use RAS since I'm not dialing any number when connecting (atleast I don't think so). I have almost solved the problem using Qweerdy's help (thanks!). I can use my program to login, but only when I have the login-page open in the browser! Something is missing but I don't know what! However, I have found a nice piece of software that does almost the same thing I want my program to do - "LF Connection Keeper" @ www.lfdomain.com. I have even asked the author for help. I hope he can help me, because I would really like to have a customized login-program . /tcore
Posted on 2001-04-22 14:58:00 by tcore
I think your ISP's sever only accepts logins if you requested the login page before (maybe he uses some kind of session id on the server side) just try to request the login page, before you send the login data (command sould be "GET pagename")... if this doesn't work get some kinde of proxy that logs every data you send an recieve and make yout tool simulate the browsers commands......
Posted on 2001-04-23 11:54:00 by theNOP