Hi all: Well I guess I will take a turn at it. My name is Bob McKellar, and I was born on 17 August 1939..Ya right 39. I live in Paris, Ontario, Canada. A small town. I have played with many varieties of basic over the years. I have done some Pascal and quite a bit in asm for dos ages ago. This has all been for my own use and that of friends. I have done a lot in Visual Basic, but it is too big to distribute easily. I actually found out about this Board on Steve Gibson's Site while checking out a firewall. I became interested in the Win32 programming and find it fascinating. I used to do electronic maintenance on industrial machinery and these machines were all computer and PLC controlled, so I had to learn to do some programming. In 1993 I contracted 3 kinds of Arthritis and have it in 80% of my joints. So I am on a disability pension. I like to play with Win32 asm and Ham Radio as it helps to pass time. I am not too good at it yet, but with the help of all the great people on this board, they are sure making it a lot better for me. I want to thank all the great people here for making this board such a success. Bob ;)
Posted on 2001-04-25 19:11:00 by BobMcK
Hi since the Q is somehow "mainly" adressed to me also... hmmm My name is Bogdan Ontanu :) born: 01.december.1966 die: sure thing... too soon...date to be yet established i live in ROMANIA, Bucharest (want my phone?) education: 5 years in Coledge specialized in Electronics and Artificial Inteligence but i consider myself selfeducated...and time in High school and Coledge as "wasted time" today: i own with 2 other friends my software company History: ========= I have started programming on a Z80 ZXSpectrum 8 bit computer and i made myself a "Cobra" using TTL chips with added 80Kbyetes of RAM ;) added a Floppy disk and made myself the first OS in ASM using OPUS (an ASSEMBLE/DEBUGGER/EDITOR) ... is was a fully rewriten BIOS and some "cloned" BDOS and command.com replacements for this computer, the made myself a FIG-FORTH OS starting to make a Window Manager for it..., then comunists fall and capitalism emergend in ROMANIA (yea revolution) so i moved to private company from estate research labs in 1991 soon in 1994 i made my own company, made / participated to other companyies also ... for living i do/did Dbase,Visual Fox,Pascal and ASM programs, vast majority are database economical systems for my clients (small/medium enterprises) in Romania I now work to some production management system ... like SCALA... and of course to Hostile Encounter...a full win32 ASM RTS game
Posted on 2001-04-25 22:18:00 by BogdanOntanu
Sorry this post, but I really would like to know about ICZELION. I always thought: why Iczelion used your precious time to write very good tutorials and teach the major part of us? Anyway, thanks Iczelion. Doesn't exist nobody near me that I can talk about Assembly. My friends that studies at Universities don't know and don't care about it. They said to me: Assembly is loss of time. I hated this! :mad: For me Assembly is the real and the direct language of equipment. Always I thought this, but early I had 'fear' of Assembly because it was very strange. Now I feel that I can dominate the machine by using Assembly. I hope that this feeling occurs in you too. :) I like to know, sorry saing by this mode, the 'old' people of computers world. I thought that I was 'old' in this stuff... :)Nobody understood me since I was younger with my 'disease' for computers, calculators and all kind of machines. Everybody now ask me: why didn't you study Computer in College? I realized that all computer's course are bad, than I studied Civil Engineering. I was lucky! because doesn't exists much programs for Civil Engineering and than I created some programs for calculate and design some things with this languages: Fortran, Pascal, VB(hugh), VC(hugh), Lisp, SystemRPL. Now, and forever, I'll always use Assembly. I was using a few of VBA for AutoCAD, but, I learned Graphics with GDI using Win32asm and I stoped using it. Death to VB!! (in my case, of course) I'm free of VB and VC!!! :D I would like to thank HUTCH for all his work with MASM32. :) I would like to have brothers and sisters like Stefan Krause to teach programming. That's cool. :) Regars. :) This message was edited by wolfao, on 4/26/2001 7:47:45 PM
Posted on 2001-04-26 18:54:00 by wolfao
:D hehe...errors. I'll correct: I would like to have brothers and sisters like Stefan Krause has to teach programming. (I can't teach nobody like Stefan yet, hehe :)) Regards!! (I'll use preview at this time...:))
Posted on 2001-04-26 19:06:00 by wolfao
I'm not all knowing and am mostly new to assembly and this forum but I'll post anyways. :) -- BTW, when I was done writing this I inserted this message here: This turned out to be long and so don't read if or whatever, it just feels good to write about yourself - try it! -- I'm 16, and live on Vancouver Island, B.C., CANADA! My dad was always into computers (also contributed to the end of his marriage:eek:) and had a 2 or 386 by the time I was born. I played little games like pacman and frogger for hours but wasn't any good. Growing up with a computer I learnt lots about Windows and computers. But when we got the internet I realized I knew hardly anything and so my goal now is the learn everything I can about Win32Assembly (as it is close to the OS, and just plain fast and all around good). At school we have two computer labs, the general access with 166's and the one used for teaching InfoTech 10-12 (the most boring class i was ever in -IT10-, i learnt nothing) with 400's. The 'nerds' always spend lunch in the ITLab and play games. And then I try and learn but sometimes play games too. But no one is really supposed to play games and the lab was always crowded with gamers so i made a program that closes Halflife & Starcraft in VB and runs in the background. The grade 11s and 12s didn't like that so I made 'vaccine.exe' which closed my other prog. That got me some fame:P. Now the lab has a couple of people who play games in it and myself who just reads posts on this board at lunch. I always wanted to be a l33t hax0r d00d but that never was really fun and you got a bad rep and besides there wasn't much good material on the subject. And *nix isn't fun to program for. I love windows! Despites it's problems, it's still great. And linux has lots of problems too. Despite what it's advocates say about it. Now I want to learn Windows inside and out and so I'm learning win32asm. I also want to learn some of the more taboo subjects, cracking and virus writing - but i wont discuss that here, besides this: Defending myself briefly; first learning those would teach me more about windows and asm - virii are just plain interesting - and i don't plan on releasing cracks or virii, i just think it would be neat knowing about them. I know lots of everything. Qbasic, VisualBasic, C, C++ (eww), Euphoria, PHP, Perl, HTML /w CSS, Javascript.. etc. But now I know I want to know assembly. I plan on finishing High School, going to University for 4 years (two didn't seem to be enough to learn about OS's and other neat stuff, but 8 seemed a bit much), and getting a job programming assembly apps, games, and OS's(!) for a big company. But hey i might learn some c and c++ so i can program games for Blizzard or Sierra (sounds cool, but they use c(++)). That was a big lenghly...oops. I'm not going to edit it. ...Matt, the perpetually confused!
Posted on 2001-05-06 03:39:00 by matthew
ok, no i tripped the 3rd time over this thread and finally decided to post something in here, too! ok, here you go: name: Thomas Chmielowiec age: 16 country: germany, but i was born in poland. when i was 2 i came to germany with my parents. i still speak polish what really helps me sometimes. i know some good win32asm coders in poland, too, though you actually don't hear much about them. dunno why. history: ~~~~~~~~ when i was in the 6th grade i found out that my school offered a kind of computer club. i hadn't my own computer, yet, and i was curious about that stuff. first i just saw <>, like nearly everybody in this club. but i saw some guys who did their own funny things in QBasic. so i asked my teacher to teach me some QBasic. i started to make my first own programs, and it was GREAT! but in this club, there was somebody who always said that QBasic suxx, and that i should start to learn another programming language. he himself did TURBO PASCAL which was nice, but i didn't like this BEGIN..END shi*. Then I wanted to make some windows applications and i found a book about programming windows applications in TURBO PASCAL. but the sample codes didn't make any sense to me!! i asked the leader of the computer club what possiblities there are to make windows applications and he "gave" me VISUAL BASIC. I liked it very much, it was easy to understand and i soon had my own programs. then there came the time that i wanted to code some viruses. hmmm, visual basic wasn't the best programming language to do that, because of exe-size and all the runtime files. i needed something else. actually my teacher gave me a VISUAL STUDIO cd where i found VC++. i bought a book, but it really sucked. it only described console programming in c++. as i wanted to code this da*n viruses i went to the library to get some books about that. i found some books about coding viruses in dos assembler, pascal and c++. as i didn't like this pascal and c++ stuff, i decided to learn assembler. at this time i already got my own computer. i took many books with me from the library and also got a compiler from somewhere. when my parents opened me the door the the world (internet) i started to look for assembly related stuff in the internet. and fortunatly i tripped over Iczelion's site. since this time, everything has changed. for me, it was the best thing that could happen. first, of course, it was difficult, but with the first own running applictions i became braver and braver since i reached this level of programming. *puh* :eek: this is a lot i've written now. i'm starting to wonder if anybody will read this??? :D bye
Posted on 2001-05-06 06:32:00 by [SaFc0n]
Interesting thread, here's my story: My full name is Thomas Bleeker, I'm dutch and 17 years old right now (born in 1983). I had a Commodore 64 when I was 10, I wrote some BASIC programs on it but on a bad day the C64 was fried (connectors could be connected the wrong way back then :)). Then I started with a PC with win3.11, I made a lot of programs in QBASIC. On the next computer there was windows 95, and I started with Visual Basic. It was really easy to program in VB, especially if you've been programming commodore basic/qbasic for a long time. After many VB programs I started with cracking programs, reading tutorials about it, learning assembler (but very little), I've been cracking for a few years (mostly just for fun, I never released a crack) then I more and more liked assembly and I started with some DOS tutorials. I didn't get very far with DOS assembly, although I understood the basics and then I found win32asm. That really was a relief. Now the windows API could be used and that was really a lot easier than all those interrupts. I started reading tutorials and coding of course. Now I'm using win32asm for more than two years and I'm glad the support of win32asm gets better and better. I also wrote my own tutorials. Well, that's all folks. Thomas
Posted on 2001-05-06 08:38:00 by Thomas
Geeze, what a silly thing to be curious about. Well, while in my 7th grade math class, I found out there was a summer school course to be taught in computer programming. I signed up and soon was happily banging away on a ASR-33 model teletype, making and then loading paper tape as program storage, and generally having a blast playing with a PDP-8L mini computer. It was in the room with the teletype, was the size of a large early 80's VRC, and has an identically sized box that was it's 16K of core memory. It supported 4 users, 3 over phone lines. (The 'acustic' modems were so funny, one literally sat a standard Ma Bell phone into it. The remote users frequently called to complain about lost bits, so the sysop would bang the handset to free the stuck carbon particles in the mic end.) It was 1970. About 4 years later our school upgraded to a HP mainframe. Away went teletypes and we got what were called 'dumb' terminals, basically a monitor that could translate RS-232 ASCII to screen images, along with a keyboard. They cost in the thousands. And the programming language was upgraded to Basic (from Focal). University brought me to true mainframes, meaning I sat in a basement punching punch cards, dropping them off into a bin, hoping the eternally bored sysop would one day actually drop them into the hopper, and eventually rubber band the correct 132 character per line paper to my set of cards and drop them into the run bin. Grrrr.... One summer, with no sysop, I was allowed to run my own cards. I was about 50 miles away from the actual computer. Cards went into a hopper, were weighted down, then hit the RUN button. As the last card spit out, the line printer made the most awful of screaches. Before that last card had settled, my entire 132 characters per line, 80 lines per page, 12 page printout was complete. Wow, I guess the "CPU TIME: 0.048 SECCONDS" notation was actually correct! My first PC never worked. Looking over the plans years later I can see it never would have worked. It was never finished as I was too interested in making it look nice. The 2nd PC did work, it was a kit with CMOS processor, 256 bytes of RAM, a hex keypad and two hex display digits, plus a LED too. Switches let you DMA in a program, then hit the RUN button. It worked, but I never did get an expansion card to etch good enough to work. So... After playing with a C-64 for a few months (I liked it, but didn't see much worth to it, so I sold it), I got the *ultimate* hardware hacker's toy: the Sinclair microcomputer, the first (and since only) computer to break the $100 price barrier. Eventually I actually got two. It was a membrane keyboard, Z-80 CPU, 1K of RAM, a video driver that would drive a TV set, and if you had a cheap cassette deck you could store and load programs off that. Damn nice toy. I got the 16K RAM extender, and eventually hacked on a true keyboard and an EPROM burner. I sucessfully used it to prototype a few Z-80 based projects (simple proof-of-concept demonstration things). After that, finally did computers professionally during a sting as a test engineer, driving some $250K worth of computer controlled test equipment to do fast accurate acceptance testing of military parts. And one Saturday I burned out near 50K of equipment too with one probe slip. (Didn't get canned for it either.) The next company I worked for had the same needs, but zero budget, and I managed to do the same with a IBM AT and a couple of expansion boards. I'm about to rebuild almost the same system, except it's gonna be a Pentium running Win98 running VB controlling PCI cards. I've never been happy with a computer that just sits there. I don't think I would even bother with my home PC now if it wasn't connected to the internet (I never had my own PC until '96, just to connect to the net at home). I've always been more interested in controlling THINGS with a computer, over just controlling the computer itself. Programming was the means to the end, not the end itself. I've two main choices when I program: V
Posted on 2001-05-07 00:08:00 by Ernie
Wow... this long, and I still haven't given my history. Well I'm 18, and I live in Nebraska... yes I live in a civilized city. Anyways.... I never grew up with a computer. I got my first computer 4 years ago. I didn't think much of it, I played a few games. Finally I begged my parents to get aol(who knows why i choose aol) because it would be cool to chat and stuff. So we got aol, and i signed on, and people "PUNTED" me offline. So I thought that was incredibly cool so I wanted to make my very own Aol Proggie! I finally did with Visual Basic. But as my maturity grew, so did my programming interests. Soon aol, and making aol programs addons died away. I was struck by the CIH virus one time and it pissed me off. So me being the dumb 15 year old was mad and wanted to make my own. So i searched and searched and then i ran into asm. At first i didn't quite grasp it. It took awhile to understand the concepts of certain things. Then finally it just hit and now i'm doing more productive things. My interest though never was "win32asm", just asm in general. Hmm.... Oh yea, I graduate high school this in 11 days. Then onto UNL to study Computer Engineering. I think that wraps up my exciting life!
Posted on 2001-05-09 01:35:00 by Jon Richardson
Generation 1981. Leaving my teen period october this year. Real name? Naw, I'll keep that to myself. Location: Denmark -- pretty nice place. Got a C64 a LONG time ago (doesn't work anymore :(, but I have harvested the SiD chip (MOS 6531, I think?) and am pondering buying a hardsid soundboard). Back then I didn't know you were supposed to buy games -- hey, everybody copied. Got an amiga600 a couple years later. Still only used it for, ah, "unproductive" stuff. Realized that you could buy games in shops, but hey...why should I? Started getting interested in PCs. Didn't have enough money to buy one of my own, so I messed around with the boxes at school. 286s and 386-sx, nothing faster than 25mhz. Again, mostly games. Tried a bit of programming, but QBasic was utter rubbish to me, and I couldn't figure it out. So I went for batch file programming ;). A friend of my dad did some pascal programming -- and so I got my hands on turbo pascal 6.0. It was pretty hard in the beginning, having no other docs than the online help system (where borland was definitely MILES in front of everybody else!) - it might have been easier if I had bought the compiler and thus the printed manuals, but who expects a 12year old to buy such a thing? I did a lot of stuff in pascal, and it was a fine programming language. Since turbo assembler was included, and pascal BGI (graphics) routines were horribly slow, I also started fiddling with 16bit asm code. 16bit asm, argh :), but it was good and made my apps run a lot faster. During the long run, I got tired of pascal's limitations. Well, not the language limitations, but the concrete implementation of borland pascal. I hung on as long as I could, utilizing all the dirty tricks I could think of ("unreal" mode, interesting XMS access stuff, etc). The protected mode was a joke, as it ran 16bit, and allocated a new selector for each 64k chunk of memory. And of course I always ran out of selectors. Dabbled around with pure 32bit asm for some time, but it was too much work under DOS -- even when using a dos extender, since I had no standard libraries (and didn't feel like writing them). How joyful I was when I finally got my hands on a C compiler, that could do 32bit code. And how depressed I was when I realized that the 32bit stuff was only for windows apps, and dos apps still limited to 16bit, unless you bought the powerpack (which was nowhere to find). So I stopped programming for some months :). Finally I found something called QLIB, written by Peter Quiring, which was exactly what I needed: a libc replacement for 32bit compilers. Borland, watcom, visual C. Mostly written in asm. Now this was pretty sweet stuff, my code was so much faster than the 16bit crap, no more restraints, access to all the memory, 32bit flat mode, even ran under windows. These where the days. Hell, I even helped Peter implement a DLL scheme. And then I got interested in windows stuff a couple years ago. I think I joined #win32asm during Iczelion's absense, probably just after he left. Can't remember how I got there, but it was probably by /whois'ing a guy in #cracking4newbies, and seeing that interesting channel name: win32asm. :). Dunno how I got into #cracking4newbies. And here I am today. I very rarely touch pascal, as I've fallen in love with C and it's weaker typing. It's wonderful pointer magic. Less typing -- '{' instead of BEGIN, '}' instead of END. I use ASM where necessary, easier, or funnier. I like ASM. A lot. I don't think coding everything in asm is the best approach, since it's so much easier to loose track, or to use to much time on parts that don't really need the speed or size gain. I sketch out algorithms in a HLL before converting them to asm, since algo design can often give you more speed than simply writing something in asm. Imho, find a balance between C and asm, and always use the tool that's best suited for the job. Oh, and I still can't program in basic :).
Posted on 2001-05-09 07:22:00 by f0dder
I'm 36. A humble asm programmer. Pro. Boxes p5,p6.+ OS NT4,5. 9x. Field: database(enjines, apis) Subj: classified. Plans: 1.I intend spend free time, working on stdlib of MASM32. It was good time we spent with Hutch when for couple weeks we exchanging emails with ideas and codes for basic algos in M32LIB. He appeared to be very practical and freindly man to work with. I really injoied the time. Then I thought it was more efficient to extend work so more programmers could be involved. It brought some fruites as bettes solutions for basic stuff but, I think we need to find some better format of the work yet. 2. I noted that many talanted programmers here, wich know well HL algos and Systems wrote unefficient code in Asm32 Intel specific. It's not thiere falt, but tragedy - here are big gaps on middle level asm discussion of Art of Programming. Not even comlex but very basic thing of middle level proparely learnt may increase whole avarrage level of all progs performence There are always three level of opt. HI - affect all programming whatever language used. it's math and concret math seminumber opt. MIDDLE - in the case asm realisation of what compilers do Optimal ways to create control blocks, basic rutiens ect. in specified opcodes abilities. It's very important and I have no idea why pro writers pay so little attention to it? There are BIG GAP! No big systematic deduction paperworks. LOW LEVEL - it's what A.FOG and Intel manuals about. (Fog, though, discusses some middle level things but in general his work is about low level tecs) I'm glad that Shawn i working on C\Asm subjects and consider her work very important, 'cause amoung other reasons it helps better understand middle level tecs on asm. So next think I'm planning to do with my free time - continue provoke discussion on middle level asm32 tecs subj. So far it's been about very basics, but, I think, that it was most people here lack (inculing pro programmers). It just happenned cause the subject was not treated as 1st level importance. Like a BLACK SPELL in general aproach, putting blinders on avarage asm programmers. It's very strange, since one of mayjor things why people write in asm is optimal speed ans size. I don't think it's worth it to go on more comlex topis while most week parts in algos in sort of unefficient control blocks realisation 'caused by little expirience of what we can work from flags and JCC,lack of normal using index and mastab addressing and such. I'm not sure I'm the right man for the job. But at least I hope it'll make one of the first move (as I said Shawn with her C/Asm doing in different way the same thing, and Hutch and some others giving asm realisation of well known algos from high level wich also can help to get some systimatic expierience and data) For other things that are important in Win32Asm, here are good programmers who bring answers and discussions on Win32Asm specific topics, so I intently aviod spending my time of such topics (tough I think one basic topic - kernel obj. process and threads are discussed a little yet). So I must only say - I respect you very much for your noble work. Though my statements sometime sound to sharp and herly :) I made opt. examples from all 5 folders in MASM32 and almost finished with Iczelion's ones but stopped posting them - cause comments and explonations are more important, and this is what I do very slow 'cause of numerous reasons. But corrected parts may be groupped - from code to code weak parts are simular. I leave HL logic of progs and optimize only middle level realization, intently, 'cause for now it' my aim. So I dicided to write a kind of first article - extended discussion of general use of most important FLAGS and JCC, with exercizes and tutor progs (may be at the end some useful utilities to help optimize control blocks). I will need some place where to upload it. Keep faith. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-05-12 05:00:00 by The Svin