I recently, ah...tripped over :) the checksum algorithm microsoft uses for their PE files. To use this to set the correct checksum on a PE file, you need to first zero out the old checksum, then call this function on *the entire file*, and store the new checksum value in the header. Optimizations (Svin?) gladly accepted.

MicrosoftCheckSum       PROC C uses esi, buf:dword, len:dword
   mov      ecx,         ; buffer length
   shr      ecx, 1            ; we're summing WORDs, not bytes

mov      esi,         ; esi is pointer to our buffer base

xor      edx, edx          ; high word must be zero
   xor      eax, eax          ; EAX holds the checksum

@@theloop:
   mov      dx,    ; get word
   add      eax, edx          ; add to sum

; add high and low parts of EAX together
   mov      edx, eax
   and      eax, 0FFFFh
   shr      edx, 16           ; this clears the high part (needed in "add eax, edx" in the beginning of the loop)
   add      eax, edx

dec      ecx
   jnz      @@theloop

; add high and low parts of EAX together, restrain to 16 bits.
   mov      edx, eax
   shr      edx, 16
   add      eax, edx
   and      eax, 0FFFFh

; and finally, add the length. Presto, that was it.
   add      eax, 
   ret
MicrosoftCheckSum   ENDP
Posted on 2001-04-24 07:51:00 by f0dder
Here is two procs, the first only needs to be called once, to initlize the Crc tables. The second works much faster because it uses previously definded varibles. If someone (The Svin) can optimize this one it should be much faster. I have tried, but I aint no expert. (This code can be assmebled directly into a .lib file)

.model flat,stdcall

.data?
 crctab DWORD 256 dup(?)
.code

; Precomputes a 256*4 CRC array
InitCrc32Tbl proc uses ebx esi edi

lea edi,crctab + (255*4)
xor edx,edx ;mov edx,-1
dec edx
std 

CalcTblValues:
mov eax,edx
mov ebx,0edb88320h  ; winzip polynominal

push 8 
pop ecx

ReflectBitsCompute_Loop:
shr eax,1   
sbb esi,esi
and esi,ebx
xor eax,esi  
dec ecx
jz ReflectBitsCompute_Loop

stosd

dec edx
jns CalcTblValues

cld
ret
InitCrc32Tbl endp

; Calculates a 32 Bit Cyclic Redundancy Code
; over a buffer with length SIZEOF(buffer),
; using a precomputed CRC table. InitCRC
; must be called *once* before.
; Speed: ~7 MB/s on a Intel PII 300
Crc32 proc uses esi edi lpData:DWORD,bLen:DWORD

mov esi,lpData  
lea edi,crctab  
mov ecx,bLen 
xor eax,eax 
dec eax

CalcCRC:
xor edx,edx
mov dl,byte ptr 
inc esi
xor dl,al

shr eax,8 
xor eax,dword ptr 

dec ecx
jnz CalcCRC

not eax 
ret
Crc32 endp

end
This message was edited by George, on 4/24/2001 8:13:17 PM
Posted on 2001-04-24 08:25:00 by George
Until you add the length at the end, the result at the end of each itteration of the loop must be 16 bits long: worst case: say word read in (dx) = 0FFFFh checksum (eax) = 0 eax = dx + eax = 0FFFFh hi + lo eax = 0FFFFh ***(next itteration)*** word read in = 0FFFFh (again) checksum = 0FFFFh eax = 0FFFFh + 0FFFFh = 1FFFEh hi + lo = 1 + 0FFFEh = 0FFFFh So the result is guaranteed to be 16bit! This means we can get rid of the
   ; add high and low parts of EAX together, restrain to 16 bits.
   mov      edx, eax
   shr      edx, 16
   add      eax, edx
   and      eax, 0FFFFh
Well it saves a few clocks! It also gives the possibiltiy of just using the following code for the checksum:

mov ecx, len    ; buffer length
  shr ecx, 1      ; we're summing WORDs, not bytes

mov edx, buf    ; edx is pointer to our buffer base
  xor eax, eax    ; EAX holds the checksum

@@:
  add ax, 
  adc ax, 0
  dec ecx
  jnz @B
  add eax, 
Of course Svin will kill me for using ax, but I don't care :P And given I wrote this, it could be COMPLETELY wrong, so someone better check :P I am at work, so I cannot really do any real testing... :( Well thats enough of my jibber-jabbering, I AM THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE! Mirno
Posted on 2001-04-24 08:34:00 by Mirno
This inner-loop is surely faster, but I wonder about my logic. Haven't test, at work, yadda, yadda, yadda...
@@:
  adc ax,   ;ESI is pointer to buffer
  adc dx, 0
  dec ecx ;this doesn't effect the carry flag
  jnz @B

adc ax, dx

add eax, 
This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 4/25/2001 4:53:09 PM
Posted on 2001-04-25 16:34:00 by bitRAKE
As "dec" doesn't affect the carry flag, so you can do this:

shr ecx, 1      ; we're summing WORDs, not bytes
  clc             ; Clear the carry flag ready for later...

; The above have been re-arranged for pairing!

@@:
  adc ax, 
  dec ecx
  jnz @B

adc eax, len
Kind of using Bitrake's adc in one go, but delaying the carry until the next loop in order to remove one instruction (at the expense of the "clc" and changing the "add eax, len" to "adc eax, len" outside the loop). Again no testing here, work yadda shouldn't even be doing this yadda, not what I get paid for yadda :P *** Corrected code a little, plus removed one instruction *** As I made a REALLY STUPID mistake! *** DOH! *** Who would have thought that the code could be so optimised? Mirno This message was edited by Mirno, on 5/15/2001 7:15:12 AM
Posted on 2001-05-15 06:14:00 by Mirno
Mirno, nice work - even without the pay. :) I thought of that too, but I was worried about all the carries rolling over and didn't work out the math to prove they were equivalent - I just couldn't see it without thinking it was going to create problems in unique situations. I wish they'd just let me install a few things here on the harddrive. :) They watch my every move like a hawk! :( XOR clears the carry flag.
Posted on 2001-05-15 18:39:00 by bitRAKE
Hey guys, good job on optimizing the routine. Can't believe that I stared myself so blind at the original microsoft umm...source ;)...that I forgot to think about the algorithm itself, and failed to realize that the result would always be 16bit. I deserve a good old slapping. I've included some timings that I've run on my athlon700, checksumming MSHTML.DLL , the largest DLL file I could find in my windows\system directory. "calcCheckSum" is the C version of the algorithm (converted directly from the asm version I posted here), MicrosoftCheckSum is the version posted here, and number two is mirno's version. Ok, speed might not matter all that much on a specialized checksum algorithm like this (it's *not* suitable for anything but PE checksums, imho), but it's alway fun to see how fast one can go. I'm still pondering whether there's any "awfully smart" way to do it, but I really like mirno's version, it's so wonderfully short and elegant. Thumbs up. `calcCheckSum ': 34934ms (34.934sec) -- 2000 checks, 58 checks/second `MicrosoftCheckSum ': 29998ms (29.998sec) -- 2000 checks, 68 checks/second `MicrosoftCheckSum2': 21012ms (21.12sec) -- 2000 checks, 95 checks/second
Posted on 2001-05-16 06:49:00 by f0dder
I think you could sum DWORDS and then add the two WORD halves outside the loop, but this algo really should be optimized for size, IMHO.
Posted on 2001-05-16 10:32:00 by bitRAKE
I was thinking exactly the same thing :D ! You can modify the code pretty easily, just do the following:

shr ecx, 2      ; we're summing DWORDs, not bytes

@@:
  adc eax, 
  dec ecx
  jnz @B

mov ecx, eax
  and eax, 0FFFFh
  shr ecx, 16
  add eax, ecx

adc eax, len
I was also trying to think of a way to use "len" only once at the begining of the file, so it wouldn't need to mess around with the stack pointers (size & 1 or 2 clocks :) ). If I come up with a way to do that I'll post that too. Mirno
Posted on 2001-05-16 10:44:00 by Mirno
Ok, if this is going in a proc, then this could be slightly shorter, as it manually deals with the stack, and never "creates the varaibles as locals" so to speak! The main reason this can be done is because the "length" variable is dealt with at the begining, and so we can simply pop "length" and "buffer" off the stack! This should save a couple of bytes. This is done at the expense of a couple of extra instructions to deal with this "pre addition". I haven't checked the code, and it may be wrong, but here it is anyway....

ChkSum PROTO length:DWORD, buffer:DWORD

ChkSum PROC
  pop ecx       ; Length
  pop edx       ; Buffer

mov eax, ecx

shr ecx, 1
  dec ecx
  clc

@@:
  adc ax, 
  dec ecx
  jnz @B

adc ax, 
  rcr ecx, 16

add eax, ecx

ret
ChkSum endp
F0dder, could you post the code you used to test these algos? Or email it to me at "mirno@fsmail.net". I would like to try to fiddle with my algo a little more, and I'm too lazy to write my own code :) Thanks Mirno
Posted on 2001-05-16 11:29:00 by Mirno
Me too f0dder, bitRAKE@home.com. I haven't got around to coding an algo speed tester, but I should be getting an Athlon 1.333Ghz in a couple days. :) I can't afford any memory right now, though.
Posted on 2001-05-16 11:49:00 by bitRAKE
Mmmm, 1.33ghz :-]. Anyway, my speed testing is REALLY REALLY REALLY simple. Two time GetTickCount, and a large amount of loops. No use of those fancy performance MSRs or anything like that. My testing code is a real-world PE checksum fixer, with the speed testing worked in, so it's a bit lengthy to post here. I could write up a little asm thing to do it, though; it doesn't *really* matter what data you're testing the algo on :).
Posted on 2001-05-17 02:25:00 by f0dder
Hi f0dder, It is my faster variant....

buliaNaza proto			

;USAGE: push lenBuffer          ;
;       push offset Buffer      ;
;       call buliaNaza          ;

buliaNaza    proc              
	pop  eax                ;u return  address
	pop  edx                ;v a pointer to our buffer base
	pop  ecx                ;u buffer length
	push eax                ;v return  address
	push esi                ;u save some registers
	push edi                ;v 
	push ebx                ;u
	push ecx                ;v save buffer length
	xor  edi,edi            ;u carry flag counter & clear carry flag (clc)
	mov  esi,edx            ;v esi is pointer to our buffer base
	shr  ecx,2              ;u we're summing DWORDs, not bytes   
	mov  eax,0FFFF0000h     ;v EAX holds the checksum
bNaza:				
	adc  edi,0              ;u inc carry flag counter	
	mov  edx,  ;v get dword
	mov  ebx,edx            ;u copy it in ebx
	and  edx,0FFFF0000h     ;v low word must be zero
	shl  ebx,16             ;u low word must be zero
	add  eax,edx            ;v add to sum
	adc  edi,0              ;u inc carry flag counter
	add  eax,ebx            ;v add to sum
	dec  ecx                ;u buffer length / 4
	jne  bNaza              ;v if ecx > 0 loop again

adc  edi,0              ;u inc carry flag counter for last op
	pop  edx                ;v restore buffer length
	shr  eax,16             ;u EAX holds the checksum 
	add  edi,edx            ;v add buffer length
	add  eax,edi            ;u add to sum
	pop  ebx                ;v restore some registers
	pop  edi                ;u speed in cycles: 14 + 3*N
	pop  esi                ;v N = word ; 14 -> const. cycles
	ret                     ;  3*N -> 3 cycles per word 
buliaNaza    endp          ;  tested for Pentium200 MMX and Buffer is
                           ;  aligned to 4
Posted on 2001-06-01 03:48:00 by buliaNaza
The method above can be converted to operate on DWORDs (indeed in a later post it was :P ). This uses a very small loop where the two "work" instructions pair, and should only therefore take 2 clocks, plus the length of the jnz... The main problem with all of these algos is more to do with memory speed, than any design of the algo (unless you do some REALLY stupid design :D ). Create a small app that opens a file, and computes the checksum on it. Then modify the app to do it several (hundred) times, then divide the clocks accordingly... This will remove the "disk" accessing speeds, but your still left with the caching problems! This will show that the disk speed cripples any "efficiency" you'll gain from code design, so the "best" use of the assembly in this case I would argue would be in terms of size. One point to note is that you could form the wrong answer due to your addition of the carries to the length, rather than adding carries to the 16bit checksum, adding the carry to that, then adding the length. For example:

;eax = FFFF0000h
;edi = 1
;edx = 1FFFFh (length)

shr eax, 16  ; eax = 0FFFFh
add edi, edx ; edi = 20000h
add eax, edi ; eax = 2FFFFh

;Result cannot be this! Add any 16bit number to 1FFFFh and the
;maximum it can be is 2FFFEh
;In this case the result should be 20000h
But its nearly right! **** Extra! **** I also note that you shr ecx AFTER you use your xor edi, edi.. This can set the carry bit again (if the length is not divisible by 2), this is only technically a problem, as if the length is not divisible by 4, then the result is wrong anyway!!! Mirno This message was edited by Mirno, on 6/1/2001 7:03:04 AM
Posted on 2001-06-01 06:55:00 by Mirno
Thanks Mirno for fast replay, Plz note I use the rules from the f0dder's post and the fact that the length of every .DLL or .EXE file is divisible by 4. Plz f0dder, could you test the progi and post the results? Thanks..
Posted on 2001-06-01 17:42:00 by buliaNaza