Just so you all don't think I have disappeared off the face of the earth, I'm off on holiday for 5 weeks...... Have fun asm'ing while I'm gone :) umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-27 09:27:00 by umbongo
Where's the trail of life leading you? Happy hiking ;) JimmyClif
Posted on 2001-04-27 09:32:00 by JimmyClif
'she who must be obeyed' and I are heading into France, going down the east side, probably stop in Nice for a while, then over to Barcelona in Spain, and Bilbau in Portugal, finally coming back up the west coast of France, before heading home. All in my little Peugot 106, with a tent and a copy of Lord of the Rings, which I have been meaning to read for over 10 years now.... umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-27 09:40:00 by umbongo
A tent AND Lord of the Rings = almost heaven... Have fun, and take a few more books. :cool:
Posted on 2001-04-27 09:54:00 by SFinegan
What about the Rhino?
Posted on 2001-04-27 10:39:00 by farrier
Farrier: What about the Rhino?
I'm pretty sure he did what most families do when they start traveling... Tying it up on a pole aside the freeway.. :D
Posted on 2001-04-27 11:49:00 by JimmyClif
I have a few more books than that, mainly Fantasy novels, but a couple of technical ones too (yes I am that sad) I'm visiting Rhinos in Kenya in September, I'm going to work on the "Kenyas Black Rhino" project for two weeks, I can't wait for that.... umbongo
Posted on 2001-04-27 15:36:00 by umbongo
Have fun, and take a few more books.
I must be a slow reader. All three Lord of the Ring books (not counting The Hobbit of course) would take me more than 5 days to read.
Posted on 2001-04-27 19:05:00 by 4oh4
I wonder how many coders here love reading sci-fi/fantasy novels. I know that Ernie also does: Robert A. Heinlein is his and my favorite author. Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar saga is one of my favorite fantasy series. Alas, I haven't read the Lord of the Ring yet.
Posted on 2001-04-27 20:20:00 by Iczelion
Dear Sir UmBoNgO !
Have a nice holliday and enjoy the hot sun in Spain. forge Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango. The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it UmBoNgO!" UmBoNgO, UmBoNgO, they drink it in the Congo! The python picked the passion-fruit, The marmoset the mandarine, the parrot painted packets That the whole caboodle landed in. So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, They all prefer the sunny, funny one they call UmBoNgO!" UmBoNgO, UmBoNgO, they drink it in the Congo! http://www.batcave.co.uk/darknight/umbongo.htm
Posted on 2001-04-27 20:28:00 by forge
Heh. I sense a pattern here. I've never read Tolkien either. Perhaps Tolkien and Heinlein are mutually exclusive. (Anyone up for a bug hunt?)
Posted on 2001-04-28 03:00:00 by Ernie
Ahem.
Perhaps Tolkien and Heinlein are mutually exclusive.
Not so. Read'em both, both did what they did very, very well indeed. I have also re-read them both many times, perhaps a better indication of their writing ability. Both also had no truck with tolerating incompetence, except for the initial time it took a naive character to learn her/his way; I like that. Very hackerish (just to keep the thread semi-asm related). Also:
I wonder how many coders here love reading sci-fi/fantasy novels.
I dunno about how many, but *I* certainly do. I seem to recall that the original computer space game (Spacewar?) was created on a PDP-xx at MIT by hackers who loved E.E. "Doc" Smith space opera. Ah, the days of stories where characters lobbed nukes around like fire-crackers . . . Now I can't recall for certain the name of the guy who wrote most of the original game; was it Slug Russell? umbongo, I suspect you've already left, but I wish you a nice trip anyway. This message was edited by bitnaut2, on 4/28/2001 5:12:05 AM
Posted on 2001-04-28 05:11:00 by bitnaut2
I've read Tolkien too... never heard of Heimelin though, I gotta get me one of those :D Anyway, here's some more literature to get through you vacation: Interview with the maker of C++
Posted on 2001-04-28 05:53:00 by Qweerdy