Hi! I've got the following problem.. My program (at a certain point of execution) displays a Dialog box which contains a bitmap. This bitmap does NOT reside inside the RSRC section of the exe nor in a separate file. The data for the BMP (extracted from a real bmp) lies inside the .data section of my program. The first thing that came to mind was LoadBitmap..but this API requieres either a res. identifier or a pointer to a string which identifies the bmp. How can i create a bitmap in the afore mentioned conditions?I'm sure this is not very difficult, but i don't know much about bitmaps and stuff :) Just in case i did not make myself clear enough, picture the following: .DATA MyBitmap DB XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,0xETC Now what i want to know is how to create a BMP using the data inside the MyBitmap variable :) Thanks in advance as per usual. Bye! Latigo
Posted on 2001-04-28 23:56:00 by latigo
I am not sure how to get a DIB or DC on that section of memory, but that would seem somewhere down the road of what you want. Untill I find out how, I would try to save that area of memory to a temp.bmp file on disk then use loadImage then delete the temp.bmp now you have a handle to a bitmap and can now get a DC or a DIB or what have you on that. sorry if this is not what you wanted I just thought maybe this would be an answer.
Posted on 2001-04-29 02:02:00 by Zcoder
Ernie write this: This code seemed to work for me.

; now get the bitmap resource
invoke FindResource,hInstance, IDM_BITMAP_, RT_RCDATA
; get handle to resource
invoke LoadResource, hInstance, eax
invoke LockResource, eax
; get the bitmap to memory
mov pBitmapFileHeader, eax
xor edx, edx
mov dx, 
cmp dx, 4D42H ; 'BM' in hex
jne BadFile
mov edx, pBitmapFileHeader
add eax, (BITMAPFILEHEADER PTR ).bfOffBits
mov pBitmapData, eax
mov eax, pBitmapFileHeader
add eax, SIZEOF BITMAPFILEHEADER
mov pBitmapInfoHeader, eax
mov edx, pBitmapInfoHeader
mov eax, (BITMAPINFOHEADER PTR ).biWidth
mov nWidth, eax
mov eax, (BITMAPINFOHEADER PTR ).biHeight
mov nHeight, eax

invoke GetDC, hIDM_picture
mov hDCtemp, eax
invoke CreateCompatibleDC, hDCtemp
mov hDC, eax
invoke CreateDIBitmap, hDCtemp, pBitmapInfoHeader,
CBM_INIT, pBitmapData,
pBitmapInfoHeader, DIB_RGB_COLORS
mov hBitmap, eax
; we can now assign this bitmap to a window
invoke SendMessage, hIDM_picture, STM_SETIMAGE,
IMAGE_BITMAP, hBitmap
invoke ReleaseDC, hIDM_picture, hDCtemp
invoke DeleteDC, hDCtemp

Hope this helps.
Posted on 2001-04-29 03:16:00 by forge
Zcoder: Thanks mate, that's the exact same _temp_ solution i thought about :) I'll implement that and then keep on figuring out other possible solutions. I know there MUST be other ones :) Thanks again! Forge: Thanks to you too :). But there is a problem with that solution by Ernie. He makes a call to FindResource. I cannot do that since my bitmap is not inside the rsrc section. Latigo
Posted on 2001-04-29 04:30:00 by latigo
latigo: The FindResource/LockResource combination returns a pointer to the actual data in the resource. So you'll just have to remove all the resource stuff and put a pointer to your bitmap data in eax (or pBitmapFileHeader). Just one question: why don't you copy the data to a file, put it in your resource file and use LoadBitmap? It's quite easier. Thomas
Posted on 2001-04-29 06:11:00 by Thomas
latigo,
But there is a problem with that solution by Ernie. He makes a call to FindResource. I cannot do that since my bitmap is not inside the rsrc section.
I think you want to hide a BMP from resource Hacker ??? There are a 2 ways of storing a BMP file within another EXE file, as a resource in the RC file, or use the tool is called BIN2DB.EXE (I can give U that) and it will convert a binary file into a DB sequence and you write it to a .data starting with a label.

mov lea, label
    mov pBitmapFileHeader, eax
    xor edx, edx
    mov dx, 
    cmp dx, 4D42H   ; 'BM'
    jne BadFile
    mov edx, pBitmapFileHeader
    add eax, (BITMAPFILEHEADER PTR ).bfOffBits
    mov pBitmapData, eax
    mov eax, pBitmapFileHeader
    add eax, SIZEOF BITMAPFILEHEADER
    mov pBitmapInfoHeader, eax