Hi all, after a HD crash
Posted on 2001-05-05 17:31:00 by Stefan Krause
Hellau Stefan, Check out this link :) And say thank you betov :D http://betov.free.fr/Index.html This is here : Agner.zip 07-Jan-2001 15:45 120k x86eas.zip 15-Oct-2000 21:45 338k opengl.zip 02-Oct-2000 15:36 598k mmedia.zip 02-Oct-2000 15:48 1.2M This message was edited by JimmyClif, on 5/5/2001 5:58:47 PM
Posted on 2001-05-05 17:37:00 by JimmyClif
And here you find : ole.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:27 1.9M opengl.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:29 76k progtech.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:31 154k resource.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:35 10k setupapi.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:31 201k sock2.zip 11-Mar-2001 06:32 332k and more :) http://www.tlsecurity.net/Textware/Programming/
Posted on 2001-05-05 17:56:00 by JimmyClif
Hi JimmyClif, thank you very much! The site by betov was exactly the one I was looking for as I had in mind that I got several things from there. I didn't check the other site yet but it is cool to get those things back. Ohh, thank you forge for sending asm2htm to me. Man, I hope I wont ever again get such a fu**ing HD crash and of course I hope nobody of you will ever get one. Those who had one know what it means to get all those things one had back. Stefan
Posted on 2001-05-06 04:48:00 by Stefan Krause
Stefan, I have had the same myself back in 1999, expensive SCSI died with no preious errors (burnt out motor) and I lost 6 months work which I had to rewrite from scratch. Trick is if you can do it is to have multiple backup systems like a spare box, CD writer, more than 1 HDD etc.. What saved me was that I had a lot of other stuff backed up on a few different computers in the country, friends were emailing stuff to me for some weeks to get enough to start again. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-05-06 05:50:00 by hutch--
Trick is if you can do it is to have multiple backup systems like a spare box, CD writer, more than 1 HDD etc..
Yes Hutch--, that was exactly my reason for buying myself a CD-RW. And I just had set up the program for backuping the system, I had to reboot after installation (not very spectacular though) and then ... suddenly ... Error loading device: VKD Windows Safety Error. Please Reboot! And what do you guess after I rebooted? YES. The same error. 20 minutes later I found out that there is a defective sector on C:\ exactly there where user.dat is lying. Okay, fixed the system after some hours of repairing ... reboot ... Some files needed for Windows start are corrupted. Run setup to repair the files. After New-Setup of Win98SE I started and ... whew ... it worked. Then I needed to set up some of my Hardware like Voodoo I card, Ethernet Network Adapter, ISDN card, Sound card. After installing the drivers for my Voodoo card from CD and - you already guessed it - REBOOT ... EXPLORER is closed due to abnormal error. FU**ING BU**SHIT!!!!! Then, after fixing those probs too, I reconfigured Windows and it worked. Happy I started Winamp and listened to MP3s and I wanted to start programming with Win32ASM to relax. So I switched Windows-Explorer to drive E:\ (which is in reality a 10 GB partition of my 20GB HD) and ... DUH!! ... all folders had misterious signs as names and none of them was accessable. Suddenly Winamp DIED and I already knew what happened *fear*, switched to D:\ (the other part of the 20GB HD) and got sick. The same on both drives so there seems to be something wrong with the FAT. I tried to repair the HD with various programs but none worked for this.
  • Unknown FAT error. Please contact the author!(Prog 1)
  • There is no way to repair the FAT.(Prog 2)
  • etc pp.....
  • Last instance was the fear of every system. FORMAT!!!!!!! Okay, now my system seems to work normal again. Now I am downloading all those things I need for programming and normal life. And when I got enough stuff, then - BELIEVE ME - I will burn this immediately on CD. Stefan This message was edited by Stefan Krause, on 5/6/2001 7:25:06 AM
    Posted on 2001-05-06 07:21:00 by Stefan Krause
    If your need to reinstall windows doesn't carry with it serious probs (like messed up partition tables or something), then there's something that I've found which can give you a second chance to backup all of your important files. Don't reformat the drive, just reinstall windows. When prompted, change the install dir to windows2 or something. After the install completes install the drivers and software for your burner and backup all of your files.
    Posted on 2001-05-06 15:56:00 by 4oh4
    Don't reformat the drive, just reinstall windows. When prompted, change the install dir to windows2 or something. After the install completes install the drivers and software for your burner and backup all of your files.
    Okay, this gets a bit Off Topic, but to answer your statement: Windows has not been on the same drive as the corrupted files were. So the problem was not only windows but something else and then there is no success in burning all those defective stuff on a CD, repair the HDisk and the copy the files (which are still defective because the CD-RW can't do anything Windows couldn't do on a defective FAT system) back to HDisk. Then I am where I began. My system is working but my HDisk contents is lost (Im Arsch, wie ich zu sagen pflege!!). Nevertheless, I am happy to tell you all that I nearly got everything I had back. My online bill will kill (can I make this short by using an asterisk and ill??) me, but that is not the problem. I were lucky that my brother had copied a lot of stuff from my Disks to his computer of LAN so that I got back. Everything else I had to download. So long! Stefan
    Posted on 2001-05-07 06:00:00 by Stefan Krause