How do I prevent a visible window from appearing in the task bar? I've already tried using WS_EX_APPWINDOW, and even hiding/showing the window to reset it. But nothing seems to work. To calrify, I do this: invoke GetWindowLong, hWnd,GWL_EXSTYLE mov winlong,eax and winlong,not WS_EX_APPWINDOW invoke ShowWindow, hWnd,SW_HIDE invoke SetWindowLong, hWnd,GWL_EXSTYLE,winlong invoke ShowWindow, hWnd,SW_SHOW The only windows I can find which do this (without having a visible parent window, that is) are the Control Panel windows. (Like "Network" properties windows, or the "System Properties" window). I've tried using the styles from those windows, but all I get are windows which are either visible (e.g. no effect) or the window simply doesn't appear. Can you help?
Posted on 2001-05-17 04:38:00 by scraimer
this is from the msdn: There are two ways to prevent a window from appearing on the shell's taskbar and in the task list window that appears when you press ALT+TAB. Give the window the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style, and remove the WS_EX_APPWINDOW style. As a side effect, the window will have a smaller caption than a normal window. Give the window the WS_POPUP style and make it owned by a hidden window. smurf
Posted on 2001-05-17 06:08:00 by smurf
Thanks! (Both methods work just great!)
Posted on 2001-05-18 08:21:00 by scraimer