Here is my problem. I am creating an e-mail program. I can write an e-mail then send it. It automatically puts it into my "Outbox", then checks to see if i'm online. If i am, then it will send the email. Otherwise, it will just wait for a connection. I've searched all over the board for good source, or algorithm with no success. There are a couple that work great, but do not work with static connection IP addressing. I have DSL, and even though i am not Online, i still have an IP address. So my problem is, i have no idea how to get around this problem. Has anyone else run into this problem? I know i could always use, gethostbyname - "www.yahoo.com", but this isn't 100%. Because if yahoo.com is offline for some reason, then the Emailer. will think it is also. I'm going to keep looking into the problem. I will appreciate any help i can get. Thanks, Nok.
Posted on 2001-05-27 14:16:00 by Nokturnal
Try to ping your ip, it should report an error when you're offline
Posted on 2001-05-27 15:22:00 by karim
What if i decide to release this program, and the user is using a dial-up. Then they're IP will be 127.0.0.1 if they are not online, on the other hand, if they are a DSL user like me, and they have a constant IP, then the program will be confused. How can i make this program usable with EVERYONE? That's my conflict.
Posted on 2001-05-28 04:36:00 by Nokturnal
Why not report an error when the user is offline ? Then you could ask the user if the program should try to send the message in 60 seconds, like in Outlook.
Posted on 2001-05-28 05:17:00 by karim