I am giving some time to a project that I hope will cure the plague of header files, include files, and symbol libraries. Anyone know where I can download the most recent header files for C for Windows? MSDN is not the easiest place to find stuff.
Posted on 2001-06-04 06:48:00 by Larry Hammick
Larry, MSDN is the place to go for the stuff you need sadly, look for the Platform SDK, and the header files are in there.... umbongo
Posted on 2001-06-04 06:55:00 by umbongo
Thanks umbongo, I guess I must.
Posted on 2001-06-04 16:57:00 by Larry Hammick
So what exactly are you up to?
Posted on 2001-06-04 23:12:00 by NaN
Hi again NaN. I want to get all the text equates, macros, and structs into one big database table. Then 1. Instead of many *.h and *.inc files, there would be just a field of 8 characters, containing e.g. "KERNEL32", "GDI32", and so on. Thus a database applet or filter could extract just the stuff you want for a particular job. It could output it to the simple conventional formats of these text files with little trouble, and those text files could be discarded when the job is done. 2. This file would be much easier to maintain than the text monsters we use now. Database tables can easily be indexed, detecting duplication or other corruption of the data. 3. I'm uncertain, but there might be a fix for symbol libraries *.lib which contain no code, but merely duplicate the text tables. Symbol libraries are an inadequate notion for a couple of reasons. 4. It is normal in database work to use an "ID" field plus a "ParentID" field. This puts a tree- order on the records, which is much more powerful than a mere total order, as in a text file. There would be no need of the if/else/endif block structures of *.h, among other benefits. This message was edited by Larry Hammick, on 6/5/2001 9:26:04 AM
Posted on 2001-06-05 08:58:00 by Larry Hammick
I got Jacob Navia's impressive C compiler with the headers, from: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/ 290-odd header files, 130,000 lines.
Posted on 2001-06-10 01:57:00 by Larry Hammick