I don't know any of the terms yet. does anyone know what chapter in the textbook does it start telling you how to actualy start you out with your first program? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Posted on 2001-06-06 18:16:00 by bradechris
hi what text book are you talking about? AoA? take a look to the STEVE's thread.. This message was edited by ensein, on 6/6/2001 6:25:19 PM
Posted on 2001-06-06 18:21:00 by ensein
I downloaded a good masm manual from -- I don't remember where. If you like, I can zip it up and email it. MS Word format. larry@hammick.com
Posted on 2001-06-07 02:16:00 by Larry Hammick
Alright, what do the following terms (mov,eax,shr) mean? mov eax,wParam shr eax,16
Posted on 2001-06-08 10:00:00 by Tracy
Tracey:-

mov eax,wParam
shr eax,16
'mov' is short for 'move' - it's a command to tell the CPU to move something from one place to another, it takes two parameters, the one on the left is where the one on the right will be moved to. so in this example the command is telling the CPU to move the value in the variable wParam into the register called eax (we call it the accumulator) The second command shr id 'shift right' it takes 2 parameters also, the first is what to 'shift' and the second is by how far. the distance to shift it is measured in bits, so this will move the number in eax 16 bits to the right. so, for example here if the wParam variable had 0XFFFF0000 in it, and we rand your instruations :- eax in the first command is unknown, then we do :-

mov eax,wParam
now eax will have OXFFFF0000 in it, then we do :-

shr eax,16
and it moves it 16 bits to the right so eax will be:- 0X0000FFFF This is what the instructions are doing. In programming terms this part of your program is extracting the value stored in the high 16 bits of wParam, this is a common thing to do in windows, as it uses the wParam and lParam as 2 16bit values rather than a single 32bit value for alot of windows messages. umbongo
Posted on 2001-06-08 10:15:00 by umbongo
umbongo Thanks much, the clarification was very helpful! :)
Posted on 2001-06-08 13:30:00 by Tracy

mov tracy.haircolor, xor umbongo.eyecolor
 shr tracy.eyecolor, 1
 add umbongo.haircolor, 2
 or  tracy.haircolor, umbongo.haircolor

Posted on 2001-06-09 02:01:00 by disease_2000
I'm assuming procedures are are the same in assembly as functions are in C. Any tutorials or examples on procedures?
Posted on 2001-06-28 23:26:00 by Tracy
Let me plug my web page here. I have an okay link section to get you started. A good first read for you would be AoA (Art of Assembly) by Randy Hyde. Click on the link below and choose links from the lefthand menu: you should see Randy Hyde on the list. I have no shame. :)
Posted on 2001-06-29 01:12:00 by bitRAKE
Since I'm also a starter like u, Tracey, I recommend that u get a tutorial that guides u along. I'm not sure whether Art of Assembly by Randy Hyde has guides on specific instructions as I have not read it yet. What i think u have to do is to make up ur mind on whether to learn 32bit ASM or 16 bit ASM, since there is a difference between the two. If u would like to learn to create 32bit windows-based applications, then i think u should start off with 32 bit. Then, go to get tutorials on them and get help here. :) (i can't help u now, though :() For me myself, I'm starting on 16 bit, as that would give me a foundation that i could build on when i go to 32 bit. In this case, I would learn both of them eventually! :) To Bradechris: I think it's not logical and effective to get a summary of what each code does, unless u know the instructions and is just requiring a recap. What i think is effective is for u to get a tutorial that guides u along, slowly introduce the different instructions to u with examples. This way, u'll learn faster and better. Looking at a list of explanations on what each code does would not get u far as u would not know how to use them. To bitRAKE: Do u update ur website regularly, or is it just as reported: last update: 2000.06.28 ? Hmm...Maybe it's high time for u to update it a bit? :)
Posted on 2001-06-29 13:24:00 by JCL