Greetings,

I was wondering, how many people use the AddIn. I put lots of effort into keeping it up to date and so on so people always have timely and complete information. I'm thinking about complete a similar project for Win32 in general, and a few other tools...

I checked my logs to see how many people use the addin an there were only 14 people who downloaded it, and less than stellar hits on the files that keep the information. I do keep the info up-to-date in some cases the same hours as new posts arrive, in other cases at least within the same day...

I wanted to ask how many of you out there are using it?

For those who don't know where it is:

ftp://ftp.sonshinesoftware.com/RadASM.zip

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-08 17:53:24 by _Shawn
I know I use it. :)

As I said in another post, add back-forward button, maybe an address bar, and maybe some sort of quick-links thing (for win32asm.cjb.net, win32asmboard.cjb.net, etc.), but restrict it to certain website maybe.. like the assembly related ones. That would be easier to program too.

But dont make it too complicated.. its probably too complicated if you have to add another toolbar :)

Just a thought, Matt.

BTW (which is the internet PS): dont forget http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/win32/win32start_1xyd.asp , heh.
Posted on 2002-01-08 18:17:20 by matthew
If I provide an address bar, then basically, I may as well just give you a link and you can use the web browser. This is for news and updates on particular products.

What I am doing, however, is making it so any application that wants to "register" itself with the addin, when you use the Addin, you'll be able to select between channels on those registered applications. My intent, was to provide a way to keep up with news that is of interest to win32 assembly, such as MASM32 updates, another IDE come, another IDE gone (I started an IDE and stopped... I'm now doing research on creating a real-time psudeocode-to-flowchart generator and a visual designer that can support custom controls).. since I don't want to use windows messages as it's event handling, I'm trying to figure out how connection points work (in COM) and implement my own method for this... and I'm also doing a real-time code profiler that I"ll make freely availbale as a library you can use, that will profile as you code... my IDE is especially adapted for this already and would take quite some change in the other IDE's to accomodate the info in the editor...

Back to the point, this addin is thus far a test. I am doing it in Delphi and hope to bring the K down. As you would know, I don't have a single line of code in the AddIn, it's just controls... but I'll be reprogramming it in Assembly once it's ready for that...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-08 19:13:45 by _Shawn
Shawn, Delphi is a pretty good language/IDE for what you have done.

I have been using Delphi for a few years now, and may be able to offer some input concerning the size.

You can choose to not use static linking.

Just supply the VCL runtimes in a one time setup deal, and then only post the updates via the Addin, or the board

to kill the static linking goto Project/Options

Click the package tab and near the bottom is a checkbox that says "Build With Run-time Packages". By default this is not checked meaning build Statically. When you check this box it will build assuming that the packages listed in the textbox below are available dynamically. You should notice a good 400K being dropped off a basic Windows app from doing this. But other than that you can't do much. Delphi still is a code bloat language and just have to live with it.

Still kinda funny, what it needs 50K to do we can do in 4K in ASM - what is that other 46K doing??

lol

btw, I use the Addin
Posted on 2002-01-08 20:18:03 by Rockinronstar
Keep the good work man, I use RadAsm Direct and I think it's great. Its tedious to wonder over the board just to see if there are any updates on the best ASM IDE there is =)
Posted on 2002-01-09 17:51:28 by Milos
_Shawn,

Here is a great article about "Dynamic Packages" at http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,27178,00.html

Dynamic packages are more powerful than using DLL's to create a "plug-in" architecture because they enable a true modular design without the overhead of passing window handles, callbacks, and other technologies in DLLs.

Anyways, this will get you on your way. I'm planning on using dynamic packages myself in VASM.
Posted on 2002-01-10 06:23:15 by rainbird

_Shawn,

Here is a great article about "Dynamic Packages" at http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,27178,00.html

Dynamic packages are more powerful than using DLL's to create a "plug-in" architecture because they enable a true modular design without the overhead of passing window handles, callbacks, and other technologies in DLLs.

Anyways, this will get you on your way. I'm planning on using dynamic packages myself in VASM.

Rainbird, yeah, they are useful. I wrote an articule on www.planet-source-code.com that is a fully functional, professional quality Plugin-Manager for COM Plug-ins. I had a deal to write a book for a publisher on that topic and got half way through when I received a phone call saying that because .NET was in beta 2 as of that day, the publisher was no longer interested because VB is "dead" and the only new books will be .NET or Delphi related (since many VB people were moving to Delphi because of .NET). So, I modified the source a little and released it to PSC... I'll look into making one for Delphi...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-10 16:11:43 by _Shawn
I use it, but I prefer to use IE to view the actual content so I shift-click the links to open them in a new window :)
Posted on 2002-01-13 08:11:10 by endeavour
The links do open in new windows automatically... at least with IE5.5 they do...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-13 18:37:17 by _Shawn
Hi _Shawn

I use it once a week

greetings
Posted on 2002-01-14 13:25:57 by stanks