i started reading iczelions tutorials and i must say that they are the most easy to follow papers that i have read in a long time. But i have one question, where can i get basic data such as how to make simple control structures ("for-next" loops etc) in asm, also where can i get information about doing simple math functions in asm. if this sounds stupid then ignore it. i am aware of the "Art of asm" and the Randall Hyde's docs, but i do not have the time to read these in full. btw. i have a background in c/c++ subhuman
Posted on 2001-06-12 20:58:00 by subhuman
I like very much and use sometimes a "The Art of Assembly Language Programming" (without "HLA") as a good and full assembly reference but I agree with you it is so big and hard for a student or an assembly newbie. If you want to understand me better please read about "Teaching Assembly Language Using HLA" by Randall Hyde - "Assembly Programming Journal" issue 8 (I am so sorry it has been discontinued...) You will see a lot of source code "examples" but nothing what has been produced in a low level. He makes a SCIENCE and assembly is his business, but what happened with the students. May be proud high level programmers with a second high level language named assembly.. Well, - just write some simple code in C - disassembly the .exe with IDA or W32Dasm - compare the sources - try to rewrite your code in C using inline assembly - disassembly the .exe with IDA or W32Dasm - compare the sources - try to rewrite your code from C inline section in MASM32 - disassembly the .exe with IDA or W32Dasm - compare the sources - use this board again Regards
Posted on 2001-06-12 22:57:00 by john
Have you tried the MASM documentation? I can't remember the URL, but you could search the message board.
Posted on 2001-06-12 23:04:00 by bitRAKE
Yea, I think you want the MASM Programmer's Reference Guide. It's 1 book of 3 that come with MASM. These is a link posted here somewhere. I just checked my favs and don't have it. Sorry... :) PS - My copy is in MS .DOC format. Maybe someone has a PDF copy? :) :) This message was edited by S/390, on 6/13/2001 12:10:56 AM
Posted on 2001-06-13 00:08:00 by S/390

390, you know - microsoft doesn't like using program that was
 created by other company. they like to use their owns (in this
 case, microsoft word).

i don't think PDF version of these exist. but if you guy wants
 it, i can convert it to PDF which is not a hard task...

Posted on 2001-06-13 00:13:00 by disease_2000
D2K, What I'ld really like is to have all MASM related documentation in one format, no matter what it is. Chances are I've already got Acrobat running, and/or .HLP, and/or my favorite TXT editor, and now I've got to fire up Word? Word is such a hog when it starts up... :)
Posted on 2001-06-13 01:34:00 by S/390
subhuman, With a C++ background, you already know the logic of loop structure in programming, what you do is construct the type of loop you need directly in assembler rather than emulate a high level language's structure. Assembler allows you to do some smart stuff in loop design but you have to work out what you want to do first. The simplest loop is a label and a jump back to it but of course you need a way to exit the loop and this is where loop design in assembler has a lot of useful variables. You can exit loops on a conditional test with instructions like CMP, you can exit a loop if the counter decrements to zero by using a JZ/JNZ instruction. Loop design is fun stuff and it will come back to you in terms of speed if you get it right. The basic idea is to start with some simple test pieces and play with them to see what you can do, as long as you work out how to exit the loop. The help file in MASM32, ASMINTRO.HLP has a basic section on loop design that may be useful to you as you are getting the swing of what you are after. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-06-13 04:52:00 by hutch--
thankyou, that was helpful
Posted on 2001-06-18 21:11:00 by Subhuman
The MS documentation, in Word format, is archived here.
Posted on 2001-06-19 01:08:00 by Ernie