I'm starting a new project (for work, but on the side, with an excellent potential) to replace a bunch of random logic IC's with a single Microchip Inc. microcontroller. Microcontrollers are complete computers on a single chip, this one just needs a 20MHz resonator and a bypass cap and it's all set. The basic trick of this implimentation is to use one pin set as an output to create a frame pulse (on for 1.2 uS in a 22 uS period) and count input pulses during certain portions of this pulse. The fun part is determined by the desirability of keeping this pulse rate constant, *and* generating it via a code loop. This means that no matter the outcome path thru the code a reading takes (ie, which branch of multiple jumps), the same exact number of CPU cycles need be expended. Anyway, an oscilloscope proved the simulator Microchip provides a liar, as it predicted my pulses would be always constant. They are close, but no cigar. However, it does handle the main function just fine. Now on to more detailed code, adding in noise detection, and a frame slave input. Slaving the frame allows a dual unit to be completely single point failure tollerant. Kewl. Damn, I love writing code. ;-)
Posted on 2001-06-14 23:37:00 by Ernie
Interesting stuff you have there Ernie, I've just got hold of a Dallas 80C320 board, the chip is an 8052 clone, but with a faster code, and more UARTS and Timers, I'm using it for a 12-servo walking robot, so I'm currently brshing up my 8052 assembler coding knowledge..... umbongo
Posted on 2001-06-15 04:58:00 by umbongo