Hi. I am aware that this board is intended for 32-bit ASM development, but I am a beginner and am learning out of a book that does DOS-based 16-bit ASM. My code is probably pretty simple to most all of you. My applications goal is that it simply loops and gets user input up to 60 characters (or when the user hits Enter) and stores it in allocated memory. Then, it should add an exclamation point to their string when they finish (as well as an end-string $ marker) and then print it out. The only part that is not working is that it puts the exclamation point overwriting the first character instead of at the end. Can you please look and tell me why? Thanks!

CR EQU 0DH
LF EQU 0AH

DATA SEGMENT
    DB 60 DUP(?)
    NEWLINE DB CR,LF,'$'
    WELCOME DB 'Welcome to String Saver!',CR,LF,'$'
DATA ENDS

TEMP SEGMENT STACK
    DW 100H DUP(?)                      ; Stack storage
TEMP ENDS

CODE SEGMENT                            ; Code

ASSUME DS:DATA
ASSUME SS:TEMP
ASSUME CS:CODE

_START:

MOV AX,DATA
               MOV DS,AX                ; Initialize data segment

MOV BX,0                 ; Initialize counter

MOV AH,9
               MOV DX,OFFSET WELCOME
               INT 21H                  ; Print welcome

INPUT:

CMP BX,59                ; Check size
               JZ PROCESS

MOV AH,1                 ; Get a character
               INT 21H

MOV BYTE PTR ,AL     ; Store in memory
               ADD BX,1

CMP AL,CR                ; Continue if enter pressed
               JNZ INPUT

PROCESS:

MOV BYTE PTR ,'!'    ; Append exclamation
               MOV BYTE PTR ,'$'  ; ...and end $

MOV AH,9                 ; String printing

MOV DX,OFFSET NEWLINE
               INT 21H                  ; Print newline

MOV DX,0
               INT 21H                  ; Print stored string

MOV AX,4C00H
               INT 21H                  ; Return to DOS

CODE ENDS
END _START                      
Thanks!
Posted on 2001-06-17 01:18:00 by pellybelly
Nevermind! I was storing the carrage return by accident in the string, so when it printed that sent it back to the beginning of the DOS printout area, to then print the exclamation point. So it seemed that it was putting it as the first character, although it wasn't. Sorry about that!
Posted on 2001-06-17 01:37:00 by pellybelly
Try the below code, I think I fixed it for you I am not sure, cuz I am not sure where your DATA segment and code segemts start from the info you gave me, so I took the safe way around that. CR EQU 0DH LF EQU 0AH DATA SEGMENT NEWLINE DB 60 DUP(?) WELCOME DB 'Welcome to String Saver!',CR,LF,'$' DATA ENDS TEMP SEGMENT STACK DW 100H DUP(?) ; Stack storage TEMP ENDS CODE SEGMENT ; Code ASSUME DS:DATA ASSUME SS:TEMP ASSUME CS:CODE _START: MOV AX,DATA MOV DS,AX ; Initialize data segment MOV BX,NEWLINE ; Initialize Counter MOV AH,9 MOV DX,OFFSET WELCOME INT 21H ; Print welcome INPUT: CMP BX,59 ; Check size JZ PROCESS MOV AH,1 ; Get a character INT 21H MOV BYTE PTR ,AL ; Store in memory ADD BX,1 CMP AL,CR ; Continue if enter pressed JNZ INPUT PROCESS: MOV BYTE PTR ,'!' ; Append exclamation MOV BYTE PTR ,'$' ; ...and end $ MOV AH,9 ; String printing MOV DX,OFFSET NEWLINE INT 21H ; Print newline MOV DX,0 INT 21H ; Print stored string MOV AX,4C00H INT 21H ; Return to DOS CODE ENDS END _START Hope this helps Zcoder.....
Posted on 2001-06-17 01:42:00 by Zcoder
hutch, i tried to compile the code u have given pellybelly but failed! There is this error with this line: "MOV BX,NEWLINE ; Initialize Counter" Hmm. It says that there issomething wrong with this instruction. So, how do we correct it?
Posted on 2001-06-22 10:38:00 by JCL
NEWLINE is a byte and bx is a word. Use

xor bx, bx
mov bl, NEWLINE

or

movzx bx, NEWLINE
Posted on 2001-06-22 11:34:00 by karim