Can somebody please tell me why bother create a dialog (and text boxes, and other stuff) in 'WinMain' when you can use resource files to do the same thing, or do they do different things?
Posted on 2001-06-17 11:40:00 by roddaz
What you can get inside Resources, with a resources Editor, you can always get it by hand, coding in your application. 1) Usualy, coding by hands takes much more room than Resources and more time for you. 2) Coding by hand is more flexible than a any resources Editor. Hand made templates are more easy to modify at run-time than Resource templates. As Editing a resource is much more easy than writing by hand, (particulary for Pos, what is always killing long, by hand), you should use Resources to cover all usual needs. As Code building is much more powerfull and flexible, you should choose it in case of particular problems to solve, or in case you want run-time modifications. Example, you can modify the number of Controls in a Dialog with one single code instruction modifying the third record of a Dialog Template in Memory (whereas it is much more difficult with a Template in Resources). Example: Writing a Configuration Tabbed Dialog (let's say with 10 Child Dialogs on it) is a killing task with infinite tests for Pos, resulting in 10 or 20 code screens. Editing it with a Resources Editor is one afternon work and 2 or 4 codes code screens.
Posted on 2001-06-17 14:35:00 by Betov
Right, thanks for that guys. It helped a lot. So when I *do* use a resource editor, which is the best one to use. I have lcc-win32 but can't seem to work it properly. I get this feeling i'm doing something wrong...
Posted on 2001-06-17 14:55:00 by roddaz
Do you have Microsoft's old AppStudio lying around? It's quite okay; being 16-bit makes no difference, since it outputs just resource scripts *.rc. I think a PE executable should just about always have a resource _table_, rather than structures like MENUITEMINFO or whatever in the asm source. Loading speed won't matter much, particularly for graphical resources. String tables may be more compact and more manageable in asm source, though. A resource _table_ need not be in its own _resource section_. The masm linker always makes such a section, called .rsrc. But the res table may go in any readable section, including a code section. This would make it a little harder to disassemble. There are tricks for putting any data (such as an icon or a whole resource table) anywhere in an asm source file. Ask if interested. OT, it would be nice to have some decent documentation on resource scripts *.rc.
Posted on 2001-06-17 23:16:00 by Larry Hammick
>OT, it would be nice to have some decent >documentation on resource scripts *.rc. // DIALOG and DIALOGEX resources // // Format: // nameID DIALOG x, y, width, height // or // nameID DIALOGEX x, y, width, height [,helpID] // nameID is the reference of the program to identify this dialog. Don't change it ! // x,y,width and height define the dimension of the dialog box in dialog units. // // Following are optional descriptions for the entire dialog: // // CAPTION "" // defines the caption in the dialog's title bar, if present // // STYLE