Hi I hope somebody could help me. I'm new in theme assembler. I have some questions to the experts (i.e., everyone except myself :) ) : 1) Is it possible to change an .exe program into an .asm program? With which program? 2) If yes, can I edit (and change) the .asm file? With which editor? 3) If that is possible, how can I change the new .asm file in a .exe file? Thanks in advance. Lautaro
Posted on 2001-06-29 11:46:00 by Lautaro
The tool you are looking for is called a disassembler. It will carve up an exe file into its mnemonics, and depending on its quality, comment the code with "guesses" as to what various things refer to. One of the best disassemblers is IDA PRO which can be bought from: http://www.datarescue.com/ The use for such tools is rather dubious (or at least requests for info on such tools is), as they can be used for cracking. It also tends to be the case that those who need them for legitimate purposes know where to buy them, and how to use them. If I am wrong about your reason for wanting it I apologise. But the web does tend to harbour rather a large number of crackers. It is also the case that this board is against such illegal activities. Mirno
Posted on 2001-06-29 12:10:00 by Mirno
Hi Lautaro! This is not the best subject to mess with if you are a beginner however here is my answer: If i were you i'd try the IDA disassembler approach. IDA promises to get .asm out of a .exe. Actually it does. The problem is that you'll need a lot of hand-hacking to re-assemble that .asm and chances are that it'll be a difficult task. To re-assemble the .asm file created by IDA you'll need TASM i think. IDA can be found in www.datarescue.com (or your local warez dealer) and TASM can be found in the web. Well, good luck :) Bye! Latigo
Posted on 2001-06-29 12:25:00 by latigo
Hmm. What Lautaro wanted to do is like cracking, i must say. Getting the original code and then changing a bit here and there. I dun think this is good. As we could get the basic code, change the text like who wrote this program, diable the jumper which directs to exit the program when an invalid password is keyed in. And other stuff....So, better not discuss it here, pal, like Mirno said. U would be "chased" off this forum if u did! It's stated in the Rules of Conduct for this forum. So, bear it in mind! :)
Posted on 2001-06-29 12:52:00 by JCL
indeed, don't ask such things here. There are other well established boards that can help you with that.
Posted on 2001-06-29 13:32:00 by Hiroshimator
Hiro, we've all seen this same "this isn't the right place for that query" response a few times lately or so it seems. Would it be out of place to actually say "hey, why don't you go here and ask that"...and actually give a link or two? Second, and I'm going out on a limb here and I'm sure I'll hear about this, you're a bit mixed up Lautaro. What you're actually talking about doing is: 1) Disassembling the file (ida, w32dasm, etc) 2) Changing some instruction(s) (hiew, hex workshop, etc) 3) No need to reassemble the file. In fact, hiew will let you type in asm instructions and will convert them into the hex mnemonics for you. All you have to do is save the file. But chances are you're not yet prepared to type asm instructions into a hex editor yet. Hiro, if you give the go ahead I'll post a couple links that this guy can follow out of here.
Posted on 2001-06-29 18:48:00 by 4oh4
he e-mailed me and he should have no problem finding certain forums with the pointer I gave him. I'd rather not have it all here, just e-mail him if you will please :) Everyone needs to search the old lores sometimes ;) This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 6/29/2001 9:25:02 PM
Posted on 2001-06-29 21:23:00 by Hiroshimator
404, Probably for the same reason that illegal activities are frowned upon here, posting links on the forum to illegal activities would be the same problem. It would be safer for all concerned if you emailed this stuff to Lautaro and did not post the links here. I am willing to give Lautaro the benefit of the doubt because these are normal low level programming tools so I don't assume that the posting is illegal in the first instance so the links you send him may be useful for an entirely legitimate purpose. Lets just keep this forum for what it is intended for, a meeting place for assembler programmers, not a free for all for people who have had their own forums closed down because they dealt with illegal contents. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-06-29 21:32:00 by hutch--
Hiro and Hutch, I actually meant like in the faq/rules of conduct. That way when you tell people that their question isn't appropriate per the faq, well the link would be in there so if they did read the faq the question would never have been posted in the first place. I mean I see your point about not wanting to associate with that type of stuff, but by emailing links you're still sending the message that it's ok to post those questions here and they'll get a personnal emailed response to their questions. *shrugs* You're the boss hiro, so whatever you feel comfy with.
Posted on 2001-06-30 11:38:00 by 4oh4