ever since i encountered computer, my mind is full of curiousity. didn't know where to ask, i guess i will take this advantage and ask as many question that i have on this forum :) (what i ask is always legal of course. eheh) lately, i've been formatting my hdd many time. what i notice it is the default resolution and color bit of windows 98 everytime i run it (whenever i first install). it's strange that my video card and monitor can support up to 32 colorbit at 1280x1024 resolution max. why didn't windows just use that max which is better! instead of waiting for me to install ATI, Rage - drivers ect... just half an hour ago before i even type this msg, i sat and think about it. i asked myself what i know about vga and so on. the vga is capable of supporting up to 640x480 (no wonder why when you first install windows, that's the resolution you see and perhaps 16bit color). and once i installed drivers ect... it allows me to switch to 1280x1024, 32bit and the screen gets larger. the menu on the bottom of the screen strech out. for example: before:

640x480
 +--------------+
 |              |
 |              |
 |              |
 |              |
 :..............:
 +--------------+
after:

1280x1024
 +-------------------------------------+
 |                                     |
 :.....................................:
 +-------------------------------------+
my question is: does windowss code strech those pixel larger or does the driver do it alone? what i mean is, does windows detect that you switch to different and then strech the screen according to your selection? does the driver do everything for you? my explaination might not be clear, but i hope you understand what i wanted to ask..
Posted on 2001-07-03 01:08:00 by disease_2000
D2K, I think you question boils down to :- "When installing Windows 98 why doesn't my monitor run at full resolution?" Well, think about it, windows has no idea what you are installing it onto, it doesn't even know if there is a monitor attached! So it has to go for a standard, and the VGA Standard is 640x480x16 and you'll notice the flickering of a 60hHz refresh, Windows resorts to this so it can guarantee you can see what it's displaying, after that you are allowed to choose the resolution you want. The Pixels aren't stretched, the signal from the VGA card determines the display you see, that explanation would involve a whole book, and it's not worth the effort here... :) umbongo This message was edited by umbongo, on 7/3/2001 3:44:22 AM
Posted on 2001-07-03 03:43:00 by umbongo
man, you must be a genius to make all my explaination short! :)

"When installing Windows 98 why doesn't my monitor run at full
 resolution?"
i just don't have the ability to think of something that short. i guess i've always been bad detailed :) by the way, i don't really want to know how VGA strech the window. i just want to know whether WINDOWS does the streching or VGA.
Posted on 2001-07-03 04:14:00 by disease_2000
**basic *** i think disease2k need some very basic info so i will explain it. windows or vga doesnt stretch picture you see. so just forget about windows or vga stuff. basiclly what you see is a portion of video mem. everything you see here are pixels, these pixels is just memory.when you select 640x480x8..that means that memory which will present your picture will be big 640x480 bytes(because 8 means 8 bit and that is 1 byte)...if you have 640x480x32..then memory for your picture will take 640*480x4 (because 32 bits are 4 bytes). pixel is just memory state. it depends on resolution.look, if you make your desktop to 8 bit colors..you can represent just 256 colors, because 2^8 is 256. if you take 16 bit colors, you can have 2^16 different colors...etc. Now you see why it doesnt stretch. when you use different resolution you just tell driver on how much memory will write. if you want to learn graphics try with some www.google.com, like "mode13h" "putpixel" ...etc theres a long road before you:) well, once you know all the basic and some more advanced stuff all will become trivial, have fun:) **basic ***
Posted on 2001-07-03 07:48:00 by Geecko
Windows selects the default VGA resolution as umbongo stated, from there it is the BIOS then hardware that is the cause of what you see - until the video driver is loaded, then window switches to the resolution you have set, or the default. You have a unique way of stating things disease_2000 - what is your background?
Posted on 2001-07-03 10:58:00 by bitRAKE
thanx guy! (i wish i've found this forum earlier in life...)
Posted on 2001-07-03 16:36:00 by disease_2000
If windows had been just a little bit smart, it would autodetect VESA support and use that - which would allow windows to boot at 1280x1024x32bpp without any specific drivers. No hardware acceleration (unless the board supports VBE3 - voodoo3 and GeForce cards do). VESA would be a very nice default solution until a driver is installed. QNX does this, as far as I know. 640x480x16colors is more complicated to program than VESA modes, require more code, and is a LOT slower. Also, the vesa specification has 32bit routines, so no thunking down to realmode should be necessary. And anway, once vesa has been used to set the video mode, you have (on modern cards) a linear framebuffer, so no additional vesa calls are necessary after that...
Posted on 2001-07-03 21:06:00 by f0dder