If i code a program for win9x, can i be assured that it will work fine on ther versions of windows? (ie, wiin ME, 2000 and XP) This message was edited by MovingFulcrum, on 7/5/2001 4:31:13 AM
Posted on 2001-07-04 14:32:00 by MovingFulcrum
1) Only if you strictly follow the register saving conventions when calling an API function or coding a callback function (e.g. WndProc, DlgProc, etc.) If you get sloppy and avoid register saves because it still works in Win9x, you''ll get bit when you try to run the program in Win2k or XP. 2) Also avoid known areas of incompatibility. VxD''s aren''t usable in Win2k or XP. Enumeration of processes in Win2k or XP are different from Win9x (and ME). I''m not certain about DirectX. I do not know how well it works under Win2k or XP.
Posted on 2001-07-06 20:34:00 by tank
fulcrum, when you link your app, change: /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS (that you used to use) to: /SUBSYSTEM:NATIVE
Posted on 2001-07-07 06:20:00 by disease_2000
tank, I should think DirectX works equally under win2k and 9x; for us end-programmers :) at least. And with win2k, you can "upgrade to the latest DirectX" by downloading DX for 2k, rather than (as with NT4) having to wait for the next (huge) service pack. As far as I know, at least. disease, "IMAGE_SUBSYSTEM_NATIVE" has the comment "Image doesn''t require a subsystem." in my header files. If you''re writing windows GUI apps, you require the graphics subsystem (logically at least), ie the IMAGE_SUBSYSTEM_WINDOWS_GUI. So why link with NATIVE instead of WINDOWS subsystem?
Posted on 2001-07-07 07:41:00 by f0dder