Hello Shantanu Gadgil,

I agree with Spook that your code is abit buggy. I tried first number as 1 and second number as 2. The operation I used was divided.

Instead of get 0 and 1 for the answer #1 and answer #2 respectively, your code gives 0 and 2.
Posted on 2007-09-17 05:21:48 by roticv

The program is designed to run under Windows and runs OK on my system with either Win98 or WinXP. Are you using an OS other than Windows? Does your system report the kind of error?

I am running Windows 2000 SP4, it is fully updated with all updates from microsoft. I am using a PIII on a dell c600 laptop with 256meg of ram.

It doesn't say what kind of error it is. It just pops a screen that says winscr.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. It says an error log is being created but I'm not sure where it is being created. I looked through the administrative section in the control panel.

To get an error all I have to do is enter 4 in the top field and a 1 in the bottom field. Sorry I don't have more defined information for you.
~laz
Posted on 2007-09-18 06:32:34 by lazman

A while ago I wrote my own Giant Number Math Lib, based on 'pen and paper methods'.
Apart from it working perfectly, two things went wrong.
First, nobody was ever interested.
Second, and more importantly, I never justified using it myself.

Shame, Shame, Shame.

Do you still have the code and are willing to share it?
Posted on 2007-09-18 06:37:43 by lazman
I'll have to rummage through my old hard drives.
The code was based on converting binary values into a BCD string form for easy decimal operations at arbitrary lengths, and then finally converting the BCD stream back into a binary one.
Posted on 2007-10-29 21:13:29 by Homer
lazman,

Multi-register arithmetic is possible using fixed bit registers.  The hardest thing to do is division when the divisor is larger than what a register can represent.  Then trial divisors have to be used and tested.  See Donald Knuth's epic three volume set on computer science.  He gives you all the theory you could ask for, and even throws in some pseudo code programs that do the basic four arithmetic operations.  You should find those books at the larger technical libraries near you.  Ratch
Posted on 2007-10-31 22:19:38 by Ratch
You can get Knuth's books as a boxed set from any of the various book retailers these days (they will have to order it for you, obviously)

..they really and truely are great books and I highly recommend them for any intermediate to advanced programmer in any language.

In a simple survey I did, Knuths works were by far the most referenced works I found in the appendices of the available technical programming papers and literature.

Knuth is to algorithm theory  as  Shannon is to information theory

His homepage:

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/

If you dig deep enough, you can find some videos of him lecturing as well as some recorded study groups

such as here:

http://scpd.stanford.edu/knuth/

Posted on 2007-11-01 02:06:05 by Rockoon