I had two important questions:

1) What tool can I use to determine what executable files are using a DLL file in Windows XP?
2) I start the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service in "services.msc" but sometimes it is magically stopped although I have set the start method to Automatic. Does anybody have any idea why? I have set the startup method to Manual and it didn't work either. For example, I start that method and put the computer into stand by; after waking the computer up, it will be stopped automatically. What should I do about this? Is there a console command that allows me to enable a service?

Thanks in advance.
Posted on 2007-10-06 11:35:54 by XCHG
#1: process explorer from sysinternals (for running modules), "depends.exe" from the SDK for just .exe files.

#2: no idea about most of it, but check "net start" and "net stop".
Posted on 2007-10-06 14:45:44 by f0dder
Thank you f0dder; about question #1, suppose you have a DLL file that is in use and you want to determine what EXE file is currently having that DLL file loaded into its process. I want to know that!
Posted on 2007-10-06 17:26:31 by XCHG

Thank you f0dder; about question #1, suppose you have a DLL file that is in use and you want to determine what EXE file is currently having that DLL file loaded into its process. I want to know that!

I've used LordPE from time to time ;)
Posted on 2007-10-06 18:22:02 by SpooK
Oh sorry, I misread your question, you want to know which EXE use the DLL and not the other way around... do you want to do it for executables on disk, or executables in memory?

It should be rather trivial to use toolhelp32 to scan all running processes, and check if their modulelist includes the dll.
Posted on 2007-10-07 05:00:19 by f0dder
Spook, thanks for the link. One more thing about NET START:

I do this:

C:\Documents and Settings\root>net start Wireless Zero Configuration
The syntax of this command is:

NET START

C:\Documents and Settings\root>

What the hell does THAT mean? I am supposed to actually write NET START, press enter and then enter the name of the service? What kind of a command prompt accepts the command in the next line after CRLF?
Posted on 2007-10-07 06:59:49 by XCHG

Spook, thanks for the link. One more thing about NET START:

I do this:

C:\Documents and Settings\root>net start Wireless Zero Configuration
The syntax of this command is:

NET START

C:\Documents and Settings\root>

What the hell does THAT mean? I am supposed to actually write NET START, press enter and then enter the name of the service? What kind of a command prompt accepts the command in the next line after CRLF?

Most of the names are actually shorter.

net start wzcsvc

... should work ;)
Posted on 2007-10-07 08:58:02 by SpooK
Thanks Spook; that really helped.
Posted on 2007-10-08 16:15:05 by XCHG
fyi, theres also a shareware called "PE Explorer" that lists imports and exports of a DLL or exe file .
(lets pretend i also misread the question :D )

net seems to be a command with an advanced commandline system :) , different parameters enable more subparameters, just type "net" in the commandline.

also, the "ftp" command, for example, is kind of a little shell itself.

just so you know :)

Posted on 2007-10-09 11:50:26 by HeLLoWorld