I can go to a page on the internet but how do I act on it? How do I click a button or fill out data?

Any links? hints? tuts? beginning?
Posted on 2007-10-11 18:09:38 by JimmyClif

I can go to a page on the internet but how do I act on it? How do I click a button or fill out data?

Any links? hints? tuts? beginning?

Are you talking about submitting forms and the like??? If so, continue reading :)

<form> fields area way to instruct the browser to display places for the user to insert/select data and assign names to those fields as well.

You have two main types of transactions, POST and GET. The main difference between the two is that POST sends data embedded in the HTTP Header (sends the length and then the data as the last parameter) and GET passes parameters along with the URI/URL. For example, this thread is "http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=28756.0" and the question mark denotes the beginning of GET data... commonly called the request/query string. When I finish writing this reply and and hit the "Post" button, the browser takes instruction from the <form> field in order to determine the transaction type and destination URI/URL. In this case, it would be POST and the browser parses data I entered in my neat little GUI web browser and formats it to be sent along with the HTTP header.

Fortunately the HTTP Header is merely plain-text tags and attributes, much like HTML. All you have to do is adhere to basic formatting standards. One helpful tip that I can point out is that HTTP Header newlines are \r\n (0x0D, 0x0A) and each newline indicates a new parameters for the web server to process.

Advantages of GET

• Parameters stay in the client browser address bar, great for tracking IDs

• Quicker, no need for an actual form as you can just pass parameters to the address bar.

Advantages of POST

• Parameters are embedded in the HTTP Header and kept out of the client's view... there would not be much use of the password form field if the input just went straight to your address bar in plain-text.

• Keeps the client's address bar nice and tidy.

• Data does not trail around and causes most browsers to throw a warning about re-posting form data.

A funny little tidbit about the HTTP header: the word "referrer", commonly misspelled as "referer", got into the standards as the misspelled version... so don't second-guess yourself when you come across that HTTP parameter :P

HtH :)
Posted on 2007-10-11 19:36:35 by SpooK
if you want to write some thing which send/recv. some forms,web sites etc...
I recommend to use WinInet
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383630.aspx

You can find hunders of tutorials about that. Mostly in C, so it's easy to implement in asm.
Posted on 2007-10-12 05:21:09 by Dite
Sorry for being so one lined there last night. I was exhausted and couldn't think straight. (It seems like it) The fact that you guys understood what I meant means a lot ;)

I was confused about how to submit forms programatically. Like logging into my bank accounts and grabbing the Balance or downloading the Quickbooks file. In my confused mind I thought it would be a mixture of what you said Spook and what Dite hinted at.

Using what you guys suggested I'll be on my way and report back with better and more elaborate questions.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Posted on 2007-10-12 06:44:16 by JimmyClif