I was just wondering if anyone else on this board is a hunter?  As for myself I enjoy hunting Deer, Elk, Bear, Cougar, Birds.

I am also the type of hunter who uses 100% of the animal (what we cant eat turns into dog food and the fat of the animal is turned into soap; the hide I turn into wall carpets).

Anyway, just thought that I would ask.

Have a great night.

Posted on 2007-11-02 21:32:58 by madprgmr
Pigeons and Chickenheads when I was younger. :lol:

Seriously, I don't hunt - whish I knew a hunter though to get my hands on some game meat.
Posted on 2007-11-03 09:27:05 by JimmyClif

Pigeons and Chickenheads when I was younger. :lol:

Seriously, I don't hunt - whish I knew a hunter though to get my hands on some game meat.

To bad you are not in my area as I have game meat coming out of my ears (the two deer that I harvested on opening day I turned into hamburger)! not to mention all the buffalo that I still have in the second freezer!  All this after giving a ton of it away to people who need it more than me.

Next year, I am thinking of only taking a deer via my archery equipment (since we do not need the meat that much) while still hunting Elk and Bear with my 7mm mag.

Posted on 2007-11-03 10:49:11 by madprgmr
I'm not a hunter but my son is.  I really don't understand how he gained the interest.  We own 127 acres of wooded land in the country.  I have the same problem in that we have too much meat in the freezer.  He shot some Canadian geese, too.  He wishes I would hunt with him but I have absolutely zero interest in the sport.  I'm not anti-hunting and understand deer population control.  Just no interest.

What's kind of funny is my neighbor has a deer 'farm'.  :O
Posted on 2007-11-03 11:17:06 by drhowarddrfine

I'm not a hunter but my son is.  I really don't understand how he gained the interest.  We own 127 acres of wooded land in the country. 

I would give anything to have that much property!  We only have 4 acres here in Montana in which we live on; however, the nice things is that I am surrounded by wooded land in all directions in which most of it is gated off to prevent people from driving the roads (this works out great for me as I am the type that likes to spot-and-stalk so I spent a great deal of time walking the woods and thusly greatly disagree with the concept of Road Hunters).

I have the same problem in that we have too much meat in the freezer.

Since I have started to dabble in taxidermy I am thinking about getting a third freezer as both of my other ones are full of meat (I also raised and processed roughly 200 chickens this year so they are mixed in with all the game meat) to keep the parts of the animal that I am going to taxidermy in.

He shot some Canadian geese, too.

I have never had any Canadian geese, are they good eats?  We have had duck (as I also raise and process them) but I find that no matter how I make them they are still very greasy

He wishes I would hunt with him but I have absolutely zero interest in the sport.

If he is ever in Montana tell him to look me up as the more time I spend living here and the older I get I find myself getting more and more into it!  Where as when I was a kid I spent all my free time fishing (which I hardly do now).

I'm not anti-hunting and understand deer population control.  Just no interest.

Glad to hear it! as that is one thing people around here (who do not hunt) do not seem to understand and as a result we are seeing more and more car wrecks due to deer (not to mention all the other problems that come with over population - to include starvation).

Ahhh...thats cheating! :) actually, in all seriousness that could be a nice advantage to have as a large portion of my hunting related books make reference to studying deer behaviour from such deer farms.
Posted on 2007-11-03 11:38:59 by madprgmr

Ahhh...thats cheating! :) actually, in all seriousness that could be a nice advantage to have as a large portion of my hunting related books make reference to studying deer behaviour from such deer farms.
Not cheating.  The deer farm only came about last year.  We have plenty of deer roaming the woods before that.  Their deer are for sale but I forgot who buys them.  Further down the road they raise elk.  I was at the place a few days ago and saw a family of three wandering right up to the mobile home I have.

Montana!  I have a Montana story.  Many, many years ago, my job flew me to Helena to work on some equipment.  Since I flew all over the country, I was used to grabbing a bag at the last minute and hopping on a plane with no hotel reservation.  Unfortunately, Helena didn't have a lot of hotels and there was a convention that week.  (A convention in Helena?!) 

So, what would you normally do?  Drive to the suburbs, right?  The only problem is...there is no "suburbs".  Once you crossed the city line there was nothing but prairie and farmland for miles!  I had to drive to Great Falls to get a room!  What is that?  300 miles?

But it was the most beautiful 300 miles I ever drove.  I still have pictures of the real cowboys in real chaps driving a herd of cattle across the highway.  And the hundreds and hundreds of little prairie dogs constantly scampering across the road.  So many that it quickly became tiresome zig-zagging to avoid running over them.

I had to take a little plane from Butte to Helena because no major airlines flew in there.  But I couldn't get a plane from Helena back to Butte so I just drove it.  I learned why they call Montana "Big Sky" country.  I loved it.
Posted on 2007-11-03 22:40:32 by drhowarddrfine
Ahhh....finaly some time to get to this post (been busy rendering deer fat into the first stages of soap, along with taking care of the new horse that we just adopted)

So, what would you normally do?  Drive to the suburbs, right?  The only problem is...there is no "suburbs".  Once you crossed the city line there was nothing but prairie and farmland for miles!  I had to drive to Great Falls to get a room!  What is that?  300 miles?

While that must have been a real pisser for you then; sadly, for the area that I am at that no longer seems to be the case as Kalispell http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kalispell,+MT,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title (which is the nearest town to me) is starting to get larger and larger due to its influx of Californians. Luckly, though, out here in Kila the growth has not started to take place and when it does I am sitting in a spot (on our little 4 acres) which is setup so that no other person can move in any closer to me than I already have.

But it was the most beautiful 300 miles I ever drove.  I still have pictures of the real cowboys in real chaps driving a herd of cattle across the highway.  And the hundreds and hundreds of little prairie dogs constantly scampering across the road. 

I know exactly what you mean!  The first day we arrived in MT (I was driving the U-Haul) I rounded a corner just as a huge Bald Eagle swooped out of the trees and took to flight right in front of me.

So many that it quickly became tiresome zig-zagging to avoid running over them.

You were not supposed to avoid them....that was Montana's version of Death Race 2000.... The more you hit the more points you get.  Besides, if it is not the size of a large dog, just run it over as it is safer for all in the car that way (used to be on the Fire Dept so I have seen first had what happens when avoiding an animal goes bad)

I had to take a little plane from Butte to Helena because no major airlines flew in there.  But I couldn't get a plane from Helena back to Butte so I just drove it.  I learned why they call Montana "Big Sky" country.  I loved it.

We love Montana too.  The only other state that comes close to being here in Montana was when we lived in Virginia (it was really need to walk along the beach and see the dolphins swimming in the Ocean).

Posted on 2007-11-09 11:33:34 by madprgmr
You were not supposed to avoid them....that was Montana's version of Death Race 2000.... The more you hit the more points you get.

That's the only Sly Stallone movie I ever appreciated :P
Posted on 2007-11-09 16:34:04 by Homer