Okay, from my earlier posts you know I was considering writing my own BIOS - actually getting LinuxBIOS to work with my board. Well, I'm back to writing my own BIOS. Modifying the Linux Kernel just doesn't give me the functionality and control I need at startup.  So I know I'm "asking for it" but if you could entertain my question I would appreciate it.

So let's say I have my motherboard that conforms to a known chipset. In theory, I should be able to modify LinuxBIOS, burn it to the BIOS EEPROM, and initialize & communicate with the various components on the board?

Thanks
Posted on 2007-11-11 17:35:56 by spencer_leon

So let's say I have my motherboard that conforms to a known chipset. In theory, I should be able to modify LinuxBIOS, burn it to the BIOS EEPROM, and initialize & communicate with the various components on the board?

In theory almost anything is possible; however in practicality you are only setting yourself up for some very very very long nights!  You will not only need a deep understanding of LinuxBIOS but you will also need a deep understanding of the various chipsets on your board (you better start obtaining all of the chipset specs for your board as soon as possible and start digging through them).  Also, without the means of a hardware ICE you are going to have one heck of a time debugging everything.  My recommendation would be to have several spare EEPROM chips (along with the burner for them), make a backup of your original BIOS, utilize POST code debugging and work very slowly making sure you understand all aspects of what is going on at each step of the way.

I am not saying that it can not be done; however, you are setting yourself up to loose lots of hair for an extended period of time.

Good Luck.

Posted on 2007-11-11 18:37:32 by madprgmr