This is my first shot at translating the demo for Scintilla, a custom control lexer that can be used to create IDE's. There are some advantages to Scintilla, it can handle UTF-8 documents so assembling a UNICODE application in GoAsm is simpler than with a normal ansi editor. It is reconfigurable and commands can be sent directly to the control bypassing the SendMessage API if you need more speed. I doubt that I will write a replacement for Ketil's RadASM as it is IMO simply the best ASM IDE I have found out there but I saw Scintilla while browsing a while back and figured it would make a good project...

Lots to do yet but it's a start

I have included the SciLexer DLL from the Scintilla project.

Donkey
Attachments:
Posted on 2007-12-08 13:26:50 by donkey
Scintilla is a very decent control indeed... easy to work with, and it's even cross-platform (well, it's available on linux at least).

It doesn't handle very large text documents very well, but it was meant for source code editors, not web log file reading anyway :)
Posted on 2007-12-08 17:16:30 by f0dder
Hey f0dder,

It was actually your post here that got me interested in Scintilla. I haven't worked with it much, just started looking at it this weekend but on first view it looks nice - fast and simple to use. I have only been experimenting with small files (<10000 lines) and it seems fine for those.

Donkey
Posted on 2007-12-08 17:50:43 by donkey
Indeed it's fine for that kind of documents, but it gets a bit sluggy with megabyte+ sized files, or extremely long lines, even if word wrap isn't turned on (iirc, unless I was drunk mad, it does wordwrap at insanely long lines even if it's turned of - we're talking 64k or longer lines).

Anyway, enough of me polluting this thread, nice to see people putting scintilla to use :)
Posted on 2007-12-08 17:59:04 by f0dder

Anyway, enough of me polluting this thread, nice to see people putting scintilla to use :)

Not polluting the thread in any way, it's nice to hear some comments from time to time. Usually I do these little demos and don't hear much of anything even after 20 or 30 downloads. Pretty frustrating all in all, for quite a while there I just stopped doing them because of the lack of feedback, no sense posting all the code when there is no feedback to help improve it, just source farmers downloading and archiving it. For the IContextMenu example there were 30 some downloads at the masmforum and more once it was moved to my website and I only got one comment over there and it wasn't related to the code, quite depressing really...
Posted on 2007-12-08 21:42:54 by donkey
Well, there's the second side of the coin: If your code is flawless, people don't feel the need to tell you that ^^
Posted on 2007-12-09 01:30:14 by ti_mo_n
I understand exactly how that feels.
The more 'interesting' (non-mundane) your project is, the less likely you are to receive feedback.
It's an interesting paradox, yes?

People always tell me that it just means you're on the cutting edge, or you're on the right track, or whatever, but it always FEELS like I'm out on a limb, and theres no genuine interest in the subject matter.
Then I see my stuff rewritten by some academic and posted as a thesis and it makes my blood boil :P

I don't actually have anything valuable to contribute to this thread :P
Posted on 2007-12-10 05:31:14 by Homer
It works with even wine :)
Posted on 2007-12-10 16:42:19 by Dite
Hi Dite,

Good to hear, don't run wine here but I do use Win2K, XP64 and 98SE seems to work fine on those. I still have to wrap my head around the keyword lists and such. I think I will have to actually write a lexer to use with GoAsm as the ASM lexer that is included with the control doesn't do what I like. Anyone who can figure out code folding should post it as well, one less thing to figure out...

Donkey
Posted on 2007-12-10 17:51:19 by donkey