Poking around MSDN I found an example of how to enumerate audio codecs and extract some information from them. Seemed like fun to translate so here it is..

Enjoy

Original article

Donkey
Attachments:
Posted on 2007-12-09 03:26:39 by donkey
well :shock:
Posted on 2007-12-09 03:58:42 by netknight
The "fun" starts when having to use them to decode data, that isn't wrapped in ".wav" (wavefmt chunks) :P. Like an mp3 or ogg file. Iirc you have to manually get the num-channels and sample-rate to decode correctly.
Posted on 2007-12-09 17:24:17 by Ultrano
I've done some work in this area if anyone cares.
In particular, I worked with full-duplex streaming, and near-realtime conversion between pcm-wave and truespeech audio formats, but the fundamentals are applicable to stream conversions of all formats.
Posted on 2007-12-10 05:25:42 by Homer
Hi Homer,

I'm interested, I was thinking about writing something along the lines of an MP3 player as an example but I'm not sure if I have the time. I had quite a bit of time this last week while recovering from a bad infection but it's back to work in the morning so...

I have also been looking at making an MP3 library in GoAsm, I have already written the tag information reader/writer and can read the frame information as well as extract sample rates etc.. The next logical step is to have a simple interface to a CODEC.

Donkey
Posted on 2007-12-10 14:30:51 by donkey