Hi, I am new here and to this program making stuff. I play a game online, and what i want to do is make a program that will read from a text file. The text file would have a list of players names and I.P. #'s. I would find and enter these names into the text file manually. Now the tricky part is making the program because i don't know how to code, etc but i catch on fast if some one could help me out. The program would then be on while I am in my game, It would alert me when inside the game when some one on the list enters my room in the game. This way i would know if they are on the list. The program has to gather players I.P.#'s so it can tell me if they match the list in the text file. I hope I didn't lose anyone with what I want to make here. I am sorry if this sounds stupid but I will read and learn to make it myself until I get it made. Even if I have to make it myself. With no help I wont get it made easy and in time. So if someone here can help me or even teach me some basics I would appreciate it. The game i play is command & conquer generals zero-hour online. I play everyday and I have created a cheaters list on my web site. (The list gets updated daily) So if any one has some time please post here or e-mail me at jrsfunfactory@charter.net or add me on yahoo messenger, my user name is jrsfunfactory. Thank You.
Posted on 2007-12-12 09:39:16 by jrsfunfactory
if you can't code, then asm is seriously out of your league, what you need could probably be coded in something simpler, like visual basic etc...
Posted on 2007-12-12 11:33:14 by evlncrn8

if you can't code, then asm is seriously out of your league, what you need could probably be coded in something simpler, like visual basic etc...

It is not so much that as he should use the right tool for the job and experience level. Time, price, quality... pick any two.

I agree that he'd be better off using VB or C++ for this task... after a good dose of general programming knowledge is retained.
Posted on 2007-12-12 15:44:09 by SpooK

I don't know, I had absolutely no programming experience when I started using assembly language, it all depends on how you apply yourself to learning. If you just want a simple language to put together a one shot deal, assembly is not the way to go. A quick and easy language to learn might be a scripting language...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms950396.aspx

Or if you would like a scripting language that compiles

http://www.obasic.com/

Donkey
Posted on 2007-12-12 20:06:49 by donkey
I totally agree with Donkey - in fact, when I look for new students, I am looking for a blank slate.
I prefer to mentor students who have NO PRECONCEPTIONS, mostly because I get to be right all the time.
asm is NOT HARD - in fact, its so easy it SEEMS hard.
Please do not contribute to the alternate perception.
asm is only HARD if you have PRECONCEIVED IDEAS and the associated expectations.
If you have no idea what programming is about, asm can be VERY EASY indeed.

This is the very reason I wrote 'Masm for Morons' tutorials, they are the bridge from "I am a total programming blank" to "I can read icz tutes and code simple apps".
Posted on 2007-12-13 02:30:59 by Homer
OK, so do you guys think c++ is the way to go then? If so I will start reading up. Thank you guys for your fast response. What ever is the easiest I would prefer because of my skill level with programming. I do have lots of free time to learn but I am afraid the game will be obsolete by the time I make the program, But i still would like to know how to program anyways. I just downloaded win32asm.exe and it will not open because i have windows xp pro  64 bit. what language can i code on with windows xp pro 64 bit os? Can I still code? I have 5 other computers here, some 32 bit xp pro. (maybe i will be forced to use one of them  :sad: ) Thanks again. I like this forum, It is nice :)
Posted on 2007-12-13 06:30:00 by jrsfunfactory
c++ theres a lot of existing code out there, and its pretty popular
vb - same thing really, my suggestion just meant an easy ide - c would count too or delphi

industry 'common' language these days for most jobs is c++ (asm too, sometimes), so yeh c++ is probably a good option...

i wouldnt suggest asm though, due to the learning curve and having to think about params etc..
Posted on 2007-12-13 11:01:51 by evlncrn8

OK, so do you guys think c++ is the way to go then? If so I will start reading up. Thank you guys for your fast response. What ever is the easiest I would prefer because of my skill level with programming. I do have lots of free time to learn but I am afraid the game will be obsolete by the time I make the program, But i still would like to know how to program anyways. I just downloaded win32asm.exe and it will not open because i have windows xp pro  64 bit. what language can i code on with windows xp pro 64 bit os? Can I still code? I have 5 other computers here, some 32 bit xp pro. (maybe i will be forced to use one of them  :sad: ) Thanks again. I like this forum, It is nice :)

Hi jrsfunfactory,

Assembly Language is a very powerful language though as Homer says it is not too difficult to learn, if you want to apply yourself to learning a language assembly might be a good choice. I would suggest that you download the following free programming tools...

MASM32 ; for Microsoft MASM asssembler and the MASM32 library
RadASM IDE ; An integrated development suite for writing your progams
PSDK ; The Microsoft PSDK which has everything you will ever need to know about Windows
Iczelion's tutorials ; Tutorials and sample code

If you would rather not use Microsoft's MASM because of EULA restrictions, you might want to take a look at GoAsm

http://www.jorgon.freeserve.co.uk/

And bookmark this site, you'll have alot of questions ;)
Posted on 2007-12-13 12:11:18 by donkey
Thanks donkey & guys, I just installed Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition is this a good one to use? I am downloading the programs you mentioned and checking out those links.
Posted on 2007-12-13 16:11:22 by jrsfunfactory

Thanks donkey & guys, I just installed Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition is this a good one to use? I am downloading the programs you mentioned and checking out those links.

You should at least be able to obtain Visual Studio Express 2005 editions, if not 2008, free of charge from Microsoft.

Also, allow me to elaborate on my previous reply. Higher-level languages are easier to learn and use for a reason, otherwise they wouldn't exist. If you simply cannot wait to get this program complete, and you are not too interested in programming, I would suggest C++ or VB since you don't care. You can search Google and come up thousands of programming snippets/examples to utilize and help compliment your learning.

However, if you are content with taking a few months to learn ASM/Win32ASM, then I would suggest you go that route as you will not be disappointed... that is, if you desire to be a real programmer ;)

In any case, your knowledge and use of the actual Win32 API will be of more importance than what language it is implemented in.
Posted on 2007-12-13 22:37:07 by SpooK

I totally agree with Donkey - in fact, when I look for new students, I am looking for a blank slate.
I prefer to mentor students who have NO PRECONCEPTIONS, mostly because I get to be right all the time.
asm is NOT HARD - in fact, its so easy it SEEMS hard.

I have to slightly disagree with you based on my experience in teaching (which is not much). I have taught many students Delphi and I've had only a few Assembly students. One of the students, who was a novice programmer (he had only used basic before) thought that Assembly was really difficult to program in. I was curious so I asked him why he thought so and he replied with something like "Well I don't understand why I should write too many lines of code to do a simple division. This is a computer right? It should let me do things in a simpler way. What is the point in making things more complicated than they could be?" I kind of agree with him. I am an Assembly fanatic. I didn't know anything about Assembly (you can read my few first posts in here) but after seeing Assembly, I couldn't go to bed at night without making love to Assembly :shock: but in this case I have to agree with him,

My point is that programmers might not have a preconception and expectance from programming languages but they all do have a very good sense of comparison between computer science and other types of science they are taught in school or whatever. So for them, a division done with all those instructions could be unacceptable. But then again, that's only my experience with my students. I don't know about others :roll:
Posted on 2007-12-14 03:30:46 by XCHG