All:

I have found myself in the position to help rebuild a horse rescue / adoption organization, from the ground up, and as part of the rebuilding process have decided to offer a web based application / submittal form.  However, while I can program in PHP it takes me a great deal of time (as I am not very good at it) so what I am looking for is a very simple rapid application development application that will assist in the building of these web based forms and the MySql database back end (I would hope that this application would not only allow for development via their raid environment but by hand as well -- for the special touch :) ).

Any recommendations that you could provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted on 2007-12-17 14:12:36 by madprgmr
Humm, I've heard the word joomla used a lot lately, but I have no idea whatsoever if it's worth anything :)
Posted on 2007-12-17 18:21:02 by f0dder
Joomla is OK. I've also heard of Mambo, e107, Typo3, etc...

I would recommend visiting THIS link to find different systems and compare them.

However, it sounds like such CMS' may be overkill for your objective... along with the potential of unnecessary attention from those mass CMS/Forum spammers and hackers. Are you looking to just file form posts into a database, with a few other static surrounding pages? Are you looking to dynamically display "adoptions" on the site?

If you want, go ahead and PM me with the website details (as many as possible) and I can give you my professional opinion as to which approach would be the best.
Posted on 2007-12-17 19:11:00 by SpooK
If you want, go ahead and PM me with the website details (as many as possible) and I can give you my professional opinion as to which approach would be the best.

That PM should be in your box now.  Thanks!

I would recommend visiting THIS link to find different systems and compare them.

Will do.

Are you looking to just file form posts into a database, with a few other static surrounding pages? Are you looking to dynamically display "adoptions" on the site?

What I am looking for is something like a online registration form (such as what was filled out to join this forum -- combination of text boxes, check/radio boxes and perhaps an image upload) that will store the users typed in data into a database.  The dynamically displaying "adoptions" on the site is something that I would like to add much further down the road as there are a large portion of steps that must be taken before a horse can be listed as available for adoption to the general public (I would eventually add a front end to the database that the rescue organization uses to track each stage of the process, logging notes and the such, and once complete releases the data stored into the database into this dynamically displayed "adoptions" section)

Posted on 2007-12-17 22:04:06 by madprgmr
I only know how to code with php and mysql. Don't know any tools.  ;)
Posted on 2007-12-18 09:26:24 by roticv